View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gotmonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: user cannot boot into KDE Reply with quote

Here is the situation. When I installed gentoo, I created a user per the installation manual. While under root I installed xorg and kde. When I startx from prompt under root, kde comes up and seems to work fine. When I try to logon in as user, I get this twn window interface. How can I get my user account to have kde access?

Any ideas? I am new to the gentoo & linux worlds. I had been learning about linux under fedora core 2
XP3200+ 2x512mb Mushkin PC3500 Lvl 1
Sapphire ATI 9700pro
Samsung SP1614N 160gig
Sony CRX320 DVD Combo
d_adams
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you edit /etc/rc.conf to use kde? You need to set the display manager and the session type. Choices are xdm, kdm and gdm for display manager and then session is whatever you want to run, ie: kde. The session type is on the last line of rc.conf.
SPW
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: user cannot boot into KDE Reply with quote

gotmonkey wrote:
Here is the situation. When I installed gentoo, I created a user per the installation manual. While under root I installed xorg and kde. When I startx from prompt under root, kde comes up and seems to work fine. When I try to logon in as user, I get this twn window interface. How can I get my user account to have kde access?

Any ideas? I am new to the gentoo & linux worlds. I had been learning about linux under fedora core 2

What do you mean with kde comes up when you startx from prompt? I think you mean kdm? If that's the case you can choose your SESSION TYPE. You have to choose a kde-session. You should also have a look in /etc/rc.conf at the following lines:
# What display manager do you use ? [ xdm | gdm | kdm | entrance ]
DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"

And you can "rc-update add xdm default". Then kdm should always come up automatically every time you boot your system. If that's what you want.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: