2004.2 Will Not Boot! HELP, Please!! [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yogi-CH
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: 2004.2 Will Not Boot! HELP, Please!! [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I have been trying to install 2004.2 on an HP ze5570us machine and
having not much luck. The 2004.2 CD will not boot, so I attempted to use 2004.1 & put the correct stage/snapshot on the drive but always ran into problems, ultimately.
The 2004.2 CD will not go past the 'Scanning for ieee1394' screen output no matter whether I put additional cmd line parameters in there, or not. Always the same story.

What gives!? Anyone have a solution? I have tried everything I know to do!
Thanks...

Last edited by Yogi-CH on Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a ton of threads on this issue, if you search for "Scanning for ieee1394". Have you tried what they suggest?
hw-tph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the 2004.2-r1 revision of the minimal livecd has some fixes that let me boot it (2004.2 does not work on my desktop). You can find 2004.2-r1 in the experimental/x86/livecd/x86/ subdirectory of your Gentoo mirror.

Håkan
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not install using knoppix?

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml
Section 3
Yogi-CH
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: 2004.2 Will Not Boot! HELP, Please!! Reply with quote

Many thanks for the helpful hints. Unfortunately, I neglected to mention that I have tried using a 3rd party distro to install, and had bad luck. I used SuSE, not Knoppix, as I was used to working w/SuSE. Had severe clock problems which rendered the installed Gentoo unusable.

I have now also attempted using 2004.2-r1 and had a little better luck ...but the thing still locks up. This time, it waits until 'Attempting to mount cdrom'. :roll:

Guess this HP wasn't meant to run any flavour of Linux. Had problems w/any flavour I put on it --assuming the installation CD would even boot. Makes me wonder just what is going on, here.

Thanks, again. If anyone else cares to weigh in, it will be most appreciated!
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me, installing with knoppix works fine (assuming the version of knoppix you download works with your computer of course). I've done it a few times.

Though on this new comp I had to revert to an older beta version of knoppix as for some reason the new version didn't like my HD controller and didn't create devices for it.

edit: But then again, remember that HP isn't really known for making computers that are any good. We had nothing but trouble with an old HP.
Yogi-CH
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Doze seems to work fine on this HP. I suspect it is more the internal hdwe that Linux has marginal support for... but your opinion is duly noted. :-\
Guess I'll go w/the fact that the installation seems to have been successful on my Gateway desktop server ...& let it go at that, perhaps
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a problem with a buggy bios.
Yogi-CH
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting you should mention that. The box went in for repair (new cd-rw/dvd drive) and while there, they replaced the BIOS chip. I wonder if I need to apply an upgrade to it.
The box is brand new (Jan of this year) so I have a little time for anything that might go wrong to be fixed.
Krakatoa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Smart boot Reply with quote

I had the same problem with 2004.2 iso while 2004.1 iso boot fine. One work around is to get a copy of smart boot from sourceforge. Put it on a floppy and make your floppy the first boot device. Then 2004.2 works. 8)
Linux is composed of 1's and 0's but sco appears to be full of #2
Yogi-CH
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I had a floppy drive, right now... :roll: ...didn't come with one. Funny, too: haven't used a floppy in months & right now I wish I had one. <LOL>

Something came to mind that I am wondering about, though:
I have a working Gentoo CLI on Gateway desktop. I have created a full backup of the system and am wondering if I might get this working by booting the SuSE rescue CD I have & once in it, restore the backup to the waiting partition & install grub manually.

What do you think?
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that would work.

If you've already partitioned the computer you're gonna put the backup onto it shouldn't be all that hard.

The only "difficulty" would be if you're installing the backup to a partition that is smaller than the one you backed up from it might not work at all and if it's bigger than the one you copied it from then everything will install but you might have to do resizing (like the resize_resierfs program or similar).
Yogi-CH
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let you know. I think I'm going to give it a try, this weekend.
Thanks for your input.
Yogi-CH
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] (??) Reply with quote

Yogi-CH wrote:
I'll let you know. I think I'm going to give it a try, this weekend.
Thanks for your input.

I think I now have a working distro as far as CLI. I did the following in the event someone else has this same difficulty and is uncertain what to do (note: dual-boot is necessary, it seems):

(1)d/l the i686 universal Live CD to XP
(2)d/l the i686 packages CD to XP
(3)d/l , burned & booted the 2004.1 minimal Live CD
(4)mkdir /mnt/ntfs
(5)mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/ntfs
(6)cd /mnt/ntfs/<directory_where_ISOs_are>
(7)mkdir /mnt/iso
(8)mount <iso_name> /mnt/iso -o loop
(9)cd /

I then untarred/bz2'd the stage I needed, followed by the snapshot from the mounted 2004.2 universal Live CD & commenced transferring it to the /mnt/gentoo directory as instructed by the handbook.

One reason I could not go a different root --such as d/l the specific files-- is because I could not seem to get a dhcp address for eth0. Out of roughly six(?) reboots I got one address ...and that was after the installation.

So far, everything seems to work. Hope this helps someone, and thanks, again, for all the suggestions from you dedicated Gentoo_gunkies! :lol:

[...And now, I will need some advice on ISDN & wvdial, which will be another post w/the subject being, guess what(?) "ISDN & wvdial", for those who may be able to further get me straightened out.]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: