Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
New Xorg and lucidatypewriter font is gone?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_savage
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: New Xorg and lucidatypewriter font is gone? Reply with quote

Hello,

I recently emerged the new Xorg, which broke xemacs/ddd/xpdf and applications that require motif. Fixed that, and had to emerge xemacs etc anew. The problem is that the lucida typewriter font is gone now?? It was my fav font for all the apps :-( It's gone and I can't find a package that brings it over into the system again.

Does anybody know how I can install it (again)? The xorg.conf file uses the same font path settings, so I assume that the problem isn't there...

Thanks heaps,
Jens
fctk
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bring the font file and install it. http://freedesktop.org/~xorg/X11R6.7.0/doc/fonts2.html
_savage
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do to fix my problem? :oops:
didl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Xorg and lucidatypewriter font is gone? Reply with quote

_savage wrote:
The problem is that the lucida typewriter font is gone now?? It was my fav font for all the apps :-(\

It's my favorite font as well and I DO have it with 6.8.0-r1. Are you
sure you emerged with USE=bitmap-fonts. It should be on
by default, but maybe you missed it.
_savage
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I re-emerged it with USE="bitmap-fonts" but it didn't help. Interestingly, I opened a gnome-terminal which I set up ages ago with lucidatypewriter, and it uses lucida!? But then, when I open xemacs, lucida misses from the Options menu; same with ddd: I can't set it up there.

I'm lost...
Jens

PS: those are the kind of errors that I keep getting

Code:
savage@tigger ~ > xlock -mode blank
xlock: can not find font: -b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-24-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1, using fixed...
savage@tigger ~ > ddd
Warning: Could not load font "-*-lucidatypewriter-medium-*-*-*-*-9-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*", using font "fixed" instead
Warning: Could not load font "-*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-*-*-*-9-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*", using font "fixed" instead
Warning: Could not load font "-*-lucidatypewriter-bold-*-*-*-*-9-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*", using font "fixed" instead

Not sure if that helps at all though...
fctk
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is lucida present in xfontselect?
_savage
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is in "xfontsel", yes....
JaguarIV
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same problem. Just upgraded xorg to 6.8.0-r1. ddd can't find lucidatypewriter. It appears in the "famly" list in xfontsel, but if I select it, no characters are shown in the xfontsel preview area. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
hepta_sean
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm having a related problem: Some Java apps complain about the following:
Code:
Warning: Cannot convert string "-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-140-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct

This is also present in xfontsel, but not with an encoding of "iso8859" (only "iso10646"). So the question becomes: How do I get the lucida fonts with the right encoding back?
_savage
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sheesh yes, I have those all over the place... Did I mention that gnome-terminal does have access to "lucidatypewriter" while xemacs/ddd can't find it?

I am lost...
Scottaroo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: LucidiaTypewriter Reply with quote

Greetings:

I'm having trouble with this too. I need the font because I have some OLD commercial software that wants that font PERIOD.

Anyway, it looks like the new stuff from x.org has the font, but that they have changed the character set from ISO8859 (western) to ISO10646 (unicode). Why they would stop shipping 8859 I don't know, but that's what it looks like. I've downloaded the x.org source for 6.7 and am compiling that. I'm going to try yanking the fonts that I need out of that and dropping them into my fonts folder.

If I can make it work, I'll post the results here.
Scottaroo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Success Reply with quote

Greetings:

Here's what I did to get the LucidaTypewriter fonts that I needed back. I'm not an X Font expert, so there may be a better way to do this: The problem was that X.org 6.8 seems to install only ISO10646 (unicode) fonts while many apps are specifying ISO8859 (western) in their font requests. Basically, I downloaded the X.org 6.7 release, built it, and installed its ISO8859 fonts.

Downloaded the source for x.org 6.7 from x.org at:
http://www.x.org/pub/X11R6.7/tars/

I picked up all 7 files because I didn't know which one(s) I really needed and didn't want to fool around with it.

I unpacked the source into my home folder and built it. I didn't do this as root because I was afraid of screwing up my current X install:
Code:
for file in X11R6.7.0-src*
do
tar xzvpf ${file}
done

This created an xc folder in my home directory. X.org recommends building the code in a separate directory. I looked through the makefile to see if there was a target to just build the fonts, but I didn't see anything. So, following the directions in the BUILD file I:
Code:
mkdir build
cd build
lndir ../xc
make World

When that finished (about 25 minutes later), I had a bunch of font files in ~/build/fonts. The LucidiaTypewriter fonts are in ~/build/fonts/bdf/100dpi. All of the files lut*.gz are the individual font files. These need to be in /usr/share/fonts/100dpi. The problem is that there is some overlap, so I only copied the files that did not already exist:
Code:
su -
cd /home/sreese/build/fonts/bdf/100dpi
cp -i --reply=no lut*.gz /usr/share/fonts/100dpi

Now, I needed to make X aware of the fonts. I don't use xfs, so this might be different if you do. There seem to be two files that need to be updated, fonts.cache-1 and fonts.dir. There is a different program to update each:
Code:
fc-cache /usr/share/fonts/100dpi
mkfontdir /usr/share/fonts/100dpi
exit

And then I cleaned up the leftovers from the build:
Code:
cd
rm -rf buld
rm -rf xc

I had to restart X before it would recognize the new fonts, but after that everything seemed OK. You can use the xfontsel program to verify that the ISO8859 fonts are installed.
_savage
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there is a configure or compile option to build the ISO font files... Have you checked that? Just curious (and, frankly, lazy) ;-) But thanks heaps for the post!
hepta_sean
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Success Reply with quote

Hello!

First of all, many thanks for the tip.

I think I found out, how to do that without building the complete X11R6.7:

Scottaroo wrote:
Downloaded the source for x.org 6.7 from x.org at:
http://www.x.org/pub/X11R6.7/tars/

I still had them in my /usr/portage/distfiles. Might be worth a look for others, too.

Quote:
I picked up all 7 files because I didn't know which one(s) I really needed and didn't want to fool around with it.

I think, you only need X11R6.7.0-src1.tar.gz.

I just did:
Code:
sean@lois ~ $ tar -tzf /usr/portage/distfiles/X11R6.7.0-src1.tar.gz | grep fonts | grep lu | grep bdf | xargs tar -xzf /usr/portage/distfiles/X11R6.7.0-src1.tar.gz

This unpacked the bdf (Bitmap Distribution Format) versions of all the Lucida fonts into xc/fonts/bdf/75dpi and xc/fonts/bdf/100dpi.

Since all the fonts in /usr/share/fonts/100dpi are pcf (Portable Compiled Format) I figured (I'm also not a font expert) I'll have to convert them:
Code:
sean@lois ~ $ cd xc/fonts/bdf/100dpi
sean@lois ~/xc/fonts/bdf/100dpi $ for a in *-L1.bdf; do bdftopcf -t $a | gzip -9 > ${a/%\.bdf}.pcf.gz; done
sean@lois ~/xc/fonts/bdf/100dpi $ cd ../75dpi
sean@lois ~/xc/fonts/bdf/75dpi $ for a in *-L1.bdf; do bdftopcf -t $a | gzip -9 > ${a/%\.bdf}.pcf.gz; done

I stole the invocation of bdftopcf piped into gzip from the xorg-ebuild.

Quote:
These need to be in /usr/share/fonts/100dpi. The problem is that there is some overlap, so I only copied the files that did not already exist:
Code:
su -
cd /home/sreese/build/fonts/bdf/100dpi
cp -i --reply=no lut*.gz /usr/share/fonts/100dpi

Since I only converted the missing "-L1" fonts, this is not an issue anymore.

I just did:
Code:
sean@lois ~/xc/fonts/bdf/75dpi $ sudo cp -i *.gz /usr/share/fonts/75dpi
sean@lois ~/xc/fonts/bdf/75dpi $ cd ../100dpi
sean@lois ~/xc/fonts/bdf/100dpi $ sudo cp -i *.gz /usr/share/fonts/100dpi

EDIT: The permissions were a little borked. I had to do:
Code:
sean@lois ~ $ sudo chmod o+r /usr/share/fonts/75dpi/lu*
sean@lois ~ $ sudo chmod o+r /usr/share/fonts/100dpi/lu*

Quote:
Now, I needed to make X aware of the fonts. I don't use xfs, so this might be different if you do. There seem to be two files that need to be updated, fonts.cache-1 and fonts.dir. There is a different program to update each:
Code:
exit

This part stays the same.

Quote:
And then I cleaned up the leftovers from the build:
Code:
cd
rm -rf buld
rm -rf xc

This also stays the same minus rm -rf build.

Regards, sean.
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use xorg, but someone here should file a bug on this at Gentoo's bugzilla (or upstream if you're more technically inclined). At the very least, a Gentoo dev should then be able to bring this up to the xorg developers if it is a real problem (which it seems like it is, judging by the posts here).
Scottaroo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Is it a bug? Reply with quote

Greetings aethyr:

I'm not sure that it's a bug in xorg. When a program asks for a font it can specify the charset that it wants, or just let the font server pick one. The new charsets (ISO10646) have all of the glyphs that the older ones (ISO8859) did, so there is no reason that any program would have to use 8859 instead of 10646. If the program that I'm using would have simply specified LucidaTypewriter 12 point, it would have worked just fine. It was because of its insistance on 8859 that it failed. Additionally, it wouldn't allow me to change what it was asking for.

Maybe asking for an additional fonts-only package would be appropriate. The only package that I had trouble with was a proprietary, binary-only package. I know that some other folks had issues with terminal and such, but I wonder if a more appropriate fix would be to fix the broken apps instead of forcing xorg to be backwards compatible forever.

Anyone else have any ideas?
dewback
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Success Reply with quote

Scottaroo wrote:

Code:

exit

What about
Code:

fc-cache /usr/share/fonts/75dpi
mkfontdir /usr/share/fonts/75dpi

?
Scottaroo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am only using the 100dpi fonts. If you want both the 75 and 100 dpi fonts, then you would run those commands on both directories.
maystorm
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hepta_sean wrote:
I think I'm having a related problem: Some Java apps complain about the following:
Code:
Warning: Cannot convert string "-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-140-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct

After doing a number of package upgrades recently, I encountered two problems: the first one was that I suddenly got the same error message when running Java apps. Thanks to the before-mentioned procedure (installing lu* fonts from xorg v6.7) I got rid of this error message.

However, I'm still left with the second problem; I've described it in this thread:

Strange fonts problem in Java apps: pixel height doubled?

Can this problem be related to the other one with the missing fonts?

TIA!
Linux user #216018
hepta_sean
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maystorm wrote:
However, I'm still left with the second problem; I've described it in this thread:

Strange fonts problem in Java apps: pixel height doubled?

Can this problem be related to the other one with the missing fonts?

I also had this problem. And it came roughly at the same time with the other one. So I would think they are somehow related.

Strangely enough, it went away without me (knowingly) doing anything, so I can't help you much.

Wild guess: Perhaps Java still substitutes some other fonts, because it didn't find the other ones, when they were gone. Might remerging Java help? (At least it doesn't take too long: IIRC the Javas are just unpacked without much compilation.)

Greetings,
sean
maystorm
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hepta_sean wrote:
Wild guess: Perhaps Java still substitutes some other fonts, because it didn't find the other ones, when they were gone. Might remerging Java help? (At least it doesn't take too long: IIRC the Javas are just unpacked without much compilation.)

Just remerged "dev-java/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.01" but to no avail.

However, this problem could still be some sort of a font caching issue; would Java have some global configuration files??

BTW, I noticed that also Java Applets running in Mozilla directly from the Web show this problem on my box... :cry:
Linux user #216018
hepta_sean
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maystorm wrote:
However, this problem could still be some sort of a font caching issue; would Java have some global configuration files??

AFAICS it is not used anymore, but there was the directory /etc/.java/.
Moreover there is still the directory ~/.java/.
I can't see anything like a font cache in there, but I'd say delete them both, anyway. Can't really do any harm.
maystorm
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've removed ~/.java/ (/etc/.java/ or /etc/java/ were not existing anyway). Unfortunately, this didn't help.

I'm relying on a Java trading software, and this has not only become a cosmetic issue since some text information is almost unreadable. Here an example:

http://img109.exs.cx/img109/2453/shot_2004-11-26_09-53-45.png

All help/hints/etc really appreciated!
Linux user #216018
vktgz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidaBright, LucidaSans and LucidaTypewriter fonts in TrueType format are included in blackdown-jre. copy them from blackdown-jre/lib/fonts to /usr/share/fonts/TTF anr run fc-cache -fv
maystorm
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@vktgz:

Unfortunately, this doesn't help. Thanx anyway.
Linux user #216018
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: