View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wbreeze
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: initrd Reply with quote

I spent a good portion of the day at work tring to get initrd working (mkinitrd).

I've searched the forums and the solutions to all the posts I've found has been, compile the kernel with static drivers (non modules). Makes sense, and thats how I've always done it. But... I now have this dumb ide raid card that will only work with a module from thier website. I downloaded and compiled the driver and it works fine but now I need to make an initrd to get the whole thing working (booting)

I used mkinitrd and put in the apropriate modules
I tried many different things to try and make it work, but now Im at home and cant realy detail it all from memory :(

But... I finaly gave up and when I came home I thought I would make an initrd that was basicaly empty to test the basics (ie my home pc doesn't need an initrd to work) so I emerged mkinitrd and ran mkinitrd /boot/initrd.img 2.4.27 and added the initrd=/boot/initrd.img line to lilo.conf and ran lilo

when I rebooted It was able to mount the root filesystem but couldn't pivot root.

pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed:2

and of coarse it had a panic

anyway... has anyone ever had any success with mkinitrd?
or does everyone just not use it?
is the pivot root message "failed: 2" indicating and error 2?

BTW this pivot root is a "lite" version built into /bin/nash
wbreeze
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: initrd Reply with quote

Quote:

pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed:2

Well, that wasn't so hard. The "failed: 2" seems to be an error 2 after all, which is file not found. So either /sysroot wasn't there or /sysroot/initrd !!

Well, I never created a /initrd on my rootfs :idea:

After that it booted just fine!

So I tried loading some modules into my shiny new initrd, but no luck. It said that the kernel doesn't support the insmod (or something to that affect) and insmod.old wasn't found. So I rebooted and modified /sbin/mkinitrd line 513, to install /sbin/insmod.static.old instead of insmod.static, and now it works!

The only other thing I noticed was durring an init 6 (and presumably init 0) it stops after unmounting remaining filesystems and gives the enter root password or type ctrl-D prompt, which I then found was because /initrd/dev and /initrd were still mounted. I think I will modify mkinitrd again to unmount them after the pivot root

Now the only thing left is to use these findings on that PC at work that actualy needs a module to boot
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: