View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alechiko
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: When i try to reboot or shutdown i always get login manager Reply with quote

Its odd.. when i try to reboot the computer or shut it down from the actions menu and then get the option to reboot/shutdown/logout etc.. regardless of whether i pick logout or not i get logged out. By this i mean i cant directly shutdown/reboot without being taken to the gnome login manager first and then going to the System option and selecting shutdown or reboot.

Its nothing lifethreatening just a little niggle thats all because it means i have to hang around while it logs out (even when ive clicked shutdown) to wait for the login screen to shut it down

Thanks
akiru
apmurray
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is because the reboot / shutdown scripts can only be run by root so a normal user cannot run them just from their GNOME session.
The reason the login manager (gdm) can do it is this (gdm itself) is run by root so it has root privelages to then be able to run reboot and shutdown.

You could change the permissions of these scripts (located in /sbin/) but this could be a security concern for you.
alechiko
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Ooohh.. i see.. Reply with quote

Thanks a lot :)

akiru
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: