Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Curious about linux-headers upgrade policy?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wmgoree
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Curious about linux-headers upgrade policy? Reply with quote

I just did an emerge -uav world and noticed it wanted to upgrade my kernel headers to a new version without recompiling libc. Even when I changed the options to -uDav it didn't want to recompile libc.

I'm curious if there's ever a situation where changing your headers without recompiling your C library is anything but a Very Bad Thing, and if there isn't, what can we do to portage so that it won't try to do that? I just masked newer header versions in my /etc/portage files so that I can unmask them next time I want to recompile my library, but I can't think of any reason portage should ever want to upgrade the headers except as part of a libc recompile. Am I missing something here?
ExZombie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have kernel headers in your world file. Don't. Just delete the line from /var/cache/edb/world.
mhodak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExZombie wrote:
You have kernel headers in your world file. Don't. Just delete the line from /var/cache/edb/world.

I do not think this will work if upgrading with emerge -uaDv world. If ther is an upgrade to headers but not glibc, portage would still want to upgrade headers, while it would not reemerge glibc.

I think, that the problem may be headers ebuild, it should do a reemerge of glibc in post_install of linux-headers. But maybe forcing glibc to use newly updated header would be problem in certain situations (although I am not sure what they maybe). As it stands now, reemrging of glibc is not forced, it is advised be info written at the end of linux-headers emerge.

So, I guess that there is some reason why devs do not want to automatically force glibc to pick-up new headers.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, calling emerge inside an ebuild is a very bad (tm) thing. The basic problem is that the *DEPEND syntax isn't expressive enough yet (as this problem also effects other packages).
mhodak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:
Well, calling emerge inside an ebuild is a very bad (tm) thing. The basic problem is that the *DEPEND syntax isn't expressive enough yet (as this problem also effects other packages).

So, will there be automatic reemerge of glibc after headers update sometimes in the future?
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhodak wrote:
So, will there be automatic reemerge of glibc after headers update sometimes in the future?

Maybe, it would be a very long shot to say anything about this before we have support for this in portage (and that will still take some time).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: