Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OdinsDream wrote:

I think I speak for a sizeable amount of the linux user base when I say, we are not in competition with Microsoft. It only appears that way because everything we do is generally of very high quality. It's no fault of ours that we beat microsoft out on almost all fronts, that's a side effect of making good, useable, extendable software that people like to use because it gets the job done.

Assuming that linux's purpose is to "beat microsoft", in my opinion, is missing the larger point, that we seek to make practical software solutions to enrich peoples' lives. That has never been microsoft's goal, and as such, it will never compare to linux in this way.

Agreed. Why bother "competing" with them? We know Linux is a better product in a number of ways - I don't care if 200 million Windows users follow suit or not. It's possibly better if they don't, 'cos that helps us stay under the radar for viruses etc.

On the one hand we have Microsoft, enormous corporation with stacks of cash and a userbase of hundreds of millions. On the other, we have Gentoo, a not-for-profit organisation with a userbase of say 50,000. Anyone else think they're not playing the same game here?

Personally I see absolutely no need for a graphical installer. The Gentoo devs have made a great distro and so far have not provided one. Why shouldn't they leave it at that? If someone doesn't like it, go elsewhere.
I don't want to sound off at isso etc, but you get a bit tired of hearing people say that they "like Gentoo BUT if it had <insert feature>" it'd be more popular and get more users blah blah. If you want a GUI to hold your hand through the installer, get Mandrake, that's what it's there for. When you choose Gentoo you're accepting that it'll have a command-line install and a lot of configuration and all the rest of it - deal with it.
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cerement wrote:
Or just a better description of virtual consoles?
VC1 - Gentoo Install
VC2 - links http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/
VC3 - irssi -c irc.freenode.net

You know, that would be a GREAT addition to the install docs. Really outstanding.

Don't know why I didn't think of that.

I guess it's good that I don't do computer stuff for a living.

Maybe file a bug so that the documentation people will see this idea?
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we already have a section for "Optional: Viewing Documentation while Installing" in the Gentoo Handbook. It's quite easy to add a paragraph that you can also run irssi and such in other terminals.
eldados
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't understand what the problem is making a gui install, if you guys are talking about the ability to learn the inside of linux and the power through the CLI why do you at the same time make emerge so easy and great to use? why instead of typing emerge k3b don't you go to the k3b site download the source code, ./configure it with your flags, make and make install and making sure you have read all about the libraries needed, tham going and doing the same thing for each and every packge needed?? is it too much work? but you learn so much from it!
In the handbook you talk about how gentoo is all about options, and one can bootstrap or do a GRP, so why not CLI install or GUI install?
What's the big deal about it really? do some people feel like their ego might get hurt in the process of gui install? I'm sure these people don't use portage as well :wink:
Gentoo is great, making life so much easier to upgrade a system or install new software, but it could be better making an easy install.
..."options it's all about options" put your clicks where your mouth is...
peace to all.
feld
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i learned a TON by installing it, failing, installing again for fun, breaking it, and installing with some good 'flags.

i dont think i'd know half as much as i do if i wouldnt have used Gentoo.

btw, my previous linux experience: week or two TOTAL of mandrake and suse. just screwed with them every now and then.

heard about Gentoo, kept getting interested everytime i read about it.

finally said SCREW IT! If i know as much about computers as i think i do, i can master this and get this running! so i printed the manual and lo and behold i havent booted into windows for my OWN personal pleasure (if thats what you'd call it...) in over a month. happy as can be, especially since my goal is to be a network admin over linux.... learnin every day!

-Feld
eldados
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feld,
good on you! I did the same thing and learned lots, but it's your choise to do a CLI install. If you had to choose between a GUI or CLI install what would you choose? and what would Joe Block choose?
Please give us the option to choose...
(oh, and before any smart guy out there says "you have a choise between Gentoo and Fedora" :) this is not what it's about)
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eldados wrote:
feld,
good on you! I did the same thing and learned lots, but it's your choise to do a CLI install. If you had to choose between a GUI or CLI install what would you choose? and what would Joe Block choose?
Please give us the option to choose...
(oh, and before any smart guy out there says "you have a choise between Gentoo and Fedora" :) this is not what it's about)

I would say the most of Gentoo users doesn't want GUI installer...If I had to choose between CLI and GUI, it would be _definately_ CLI. If you want to build router/fileserver/desktop/whatever from scratch, how you can do this with GUI? Answer is simple, you can't. Besides, it's not "choose Gentoo or Fedora", there are lots of GNU/Linux distros to choose from.

Peace :P

Like feld said, you learn very much better when using CLI! First time install could be a pain in the ass, but when you have installed Gentoo couple of times, it's easy as walking ;)
eldados
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm installing Vida Linux and after installing Gentoo a few times for p3 and athlon 64, I had enough of installing for a week, configuring the system for a few more weeks (my girlfried started to worry :) )
I want a sinple easy install my 686 or x64 flags are in place and install takes 30 minutes! that's what I want now, a sysyem that works right away.
have a look at Yoper. installes in 15 minutes and the 686 runs faster than my Gentoo64!
so go on fiddle with your computer for another 10 years if you like :)
Maybe people are too afraid to have a working system with very little fiddeling??? I wonder :lol:
SnEptUne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eldados wrote:
Don't understand what the problem is making a gui install, if you guys are talking about the ability to learn the inside of linux and the power through the CLI why do you at the same time make emerge so easy and great to use? why instead of typing emerge k3b don't you go to the k3b site download the source code, ./configure it with your flags, make and make install and making sure you have read all about the libraries needed, tham going and doing the same thing for each and every packge needed?? is it too much work? but you learn so much from it!
In the handbook you talk about how gentoo is all about options, and one can bootstrap or do a GRP, so why not CLI install or GUI install?
What's the big deal about it really? do some people feel like their ego might get hurt in the process of gui install? I'm sure these people don't use portage as well :wink:
Gentoo is great, making life so much easier to upgrade a system or install new software, but it could be better making an easy install.
..."options it's all about options" put your clicks where your mouth is...
peace to all.

That's because of the scarcity of resource. As the other posts has mentioned in this thread, creating a GUI installer isn't enomically efficient. If there are more incentive to create a GUI installer, perhaps I would help to write one. Perhaps, a ncurse-based installation script is more fesible, but it would be nice to let people learn. According to one of the posts, the learning process of Gentoo installation is critical; users would have more understanding of linux and thus use it more efficiently (which would save more time afterward).
virtual
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Hi,

As I was reading the posts on this page I started remembering the old UNIX days.

UNIX and therefore Linux is a developers OS (not hackers) there was a strategy in choosing the command names awk, and ls and ....

There were two main reasons and one of them were to make them less understandable for users who didn't realy know what they were doing, in other words scare them away. I know how this sounds today but it's true.

When you look at all the commands and all the flags you will soon see that they are a set of tools which is heaven for a developer, take a look at the advanced shell scripts you can make and compare this to bat files in windows (ha ha ha).

Now for the user, users are supposed to use applications made on this wonderful system for example KDE, GNOME and all the apps. like OO, or KOffice... and on and on..

The interaction with the system is the same for a user, logon..click an icon and start your wordproccessor..click an icon to print...logoff.

The real problem is that many users have been using windows and in this environment the user has become "the system administrator" with commands he/she thinks they understand.
Just look at what a user can do in the control panel everything is so "easy" it's made too look that way but when a problem arises there are two main ways these get solved reboot, and reinstall (if reboot didn't work).

So there is a conflict new users want it easy they have become used to this, and they realy don't know what they miss, I mean they realy don't know (this is not a joke).

Let's look at one example, use 2 to 3 days installing Gentoo by the book ( most of the time is used waiting for the compile to finish ) then never reinstall again. This new consept is so unthinkable they just don't belive it. How many reinstalls will they have done with another Linux distro or windows by the next 3 years. There is nothing more catastrophic than reinstalling in a production environment, and the more users are on the system the worse it gets. Something always goes wrong, maybe not much but always some little thing. Imagine always beeing up to date like with Gentoo.

This is why (my view) the installer is not a priority, the documentation is, and it's VERY good.
The important part is that you as a new user try to learn this new way of doing things, it can be frustrating at the start but give it a couple of months and if computers/linux intrests you, you will fall in love with Gentoo, it's natures way, just accept it. I come from a Windows, CTOS, System V, AIX, SCO, RedHat and Mandrake background and love Gentoo.
miqorz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching Revolution OS I'm more firm in my stance, Every OS needs and equilibrium of sorts.

There are painfully easy to use distros (Mandrake, Redhat.) And those set aside to scratch a certain niche. (Gentoo, Crux.) why blend them together in something that will ultimately turn to shit?

I mean, I'd never give gentoo to say my mom nor would I ever put it on a server.

It's there for a certain reason and a gui installer just doesn't fit into that niche.

If you need a gui installer. maybe gentoo isn't for you.
numerodix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I think some users may like is a quicker (simpler) way to install Gentoo while still having the benefits of portage and everything else. The reason being that the install process can seem a little long and complicated for someone who just wants to try it and if you happen to own unpopular hardware, getting your network up et al can be confusing. I think once you have a base system working, maybe some are then more motivated to start tweaking it and learning about it because you're over that initial bump in the road.

Thus VidaLinux sounds like a great idea, in fact I'm gonna try it and see whether it can do a good job.

One thing that was already mentioned that I find particularly offensive in gui/curses installers is when they either crash midway or don't give you an option to go back on your choices. Very frustrating.
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sven Vermeulen wrote:
Well, we already have a section for "Optional: Viewing Documentation while Installing" in the Gentoo Handbook. It's quite easy to add a paragraph that you can also run irssi and such in other terminals.

Add to that a terminal to use links to get to the Gentoo Forums, and it would be perfect.
SebastianJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can agree on that gentoo wouldn't be gentoo without it's manual. And for any person new to linux I'd recommend doing a Gentoos install according to the manual, to learn stuff like the fstab and other basic linux features.

But last time I installed Gentoo it was because I wanted the latest system without any problems, and as a true Windows I'd rather reinstall and get stuff right than spending twce the time doing tricks avoid reinstall.
And then I really missed some automation, most of the time I had to retype stuff that wath in the manual charecter by charecter, I'd estimate it to that it toock half an hour to an hour in time, for something that could have taken about a minute!

So what I'd want, would be an half-automated install, suggesting each command line, based on some input I've made before about installpaths and such, to me to accept or not accept based on some basic information also posted for me to review. And if you want it to be useable for total newbies too, you could have the whole manual presented, with automatic fill in of command lines.

I agree that making an GUI probably is not especially important since it probably would take uneccescary time to develop. But an Interactive UI with the choice to put in your own commands at any time wouldn't be wrong IMO.

One thing I have noticed with Gentoo is that some users seamingly want to scare away newbies telling them that Gento is an hard distro only for experienced users. In my eyes it is just the opposite. I couldn't recomend any distro more than Gentoo. Gentoo is in no way hard. Mostly due to the good documentation and the very simple-to-use portage.
And also I get a feeling that some think a successful install of Gentoo prooves that you are a real hacker, and that having a newbie-friendly gui would make them less cool as then everyone could install Gentoo. I hate to have to break this for you but: installing Gentoo is everyting but a proof of you being elite or a hacker! If you want something among those lines I'd guess that LFS would be a better choice, but Gentoo? NO!

And that isn't Gentoos goal either, being a hard-ass distro for all cool hackers only using CLI, so stop bitching about it and read The Philosophy of Gentoo and realise that what Gentoo is about is Choice and that means that a user should be able to do a nice simple hand-holded install or a on-helped only-CLI-install just as he wants to. I really hope that that Philosophy still is there among the deveopers, since that is just what I like about Gentoo!
piffle
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are painfully easy to use distros (Mandrake, Redhat.) And those set aside to scratch a certain niche. (Gentoo, Crux.) why blend them together in something that will ultimately turn to shit?

I mean, I'd never give gentoo to say my mom nor would I ever put it on a server.

It's there for a certain reason and a gui installer just doesn't fit into that niche.

<vomit> spare us the drama and elitism, *please*. I've probably forgotten more about Unix in the last ten years than you will ever know, and I think a guided install process would be a welcome addition.
miqorz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piffle wrote:
Quote:

<vomit> spare us the drama and elitism, *please*. I've probably forgotten more about Unix in the last ten years than you will ever know, and I think a guided install process would be a welcome addition.

Haha. This is great.
Jakub
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think that a graphical install option would be a nice idea but I've changed my mind. Why? Because people will have to, sooner or later, learn to use the command line. Say, you have a problem with emerging something. You get the advice on the forums to recompile the kernel - and they assure you it will solve your problem. You would do it because you really need that app but you have no idea what a kernel is, as you've never compiled one.

Or, shall we say, the graphical install has finished. All went great. But then you notice that your sound doesn't work. You visit the forums and somebody tells you to edit some bizarre file in /etc/modules.d/alsa. But the problem is you do not know how to use a graphical editor as root. 'And it all seems so stupid to have to edit all those damn files, just look at suse or mandrake, how easy they are. Gentoo is great, but shouldn't there be some control centre to modify all those files with several clicks? Like the one in mandrake?'

So, my personal opinion is that it's great that the newbs have to go through the manual console install because they learn a lot (even if they just blindly type in what the manual says, it's still learning, it's easier the second time, and the third time you do it, you begin to grasp what you're actually doing).

An automatic (not necessarily graphcal) install would be good for the more advanced users who do many installs (admittedly, it is boring when you install gentoo on the twentieth box).

Last edited by Jakub on Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Because people will have to, sooner or later, learn to use the command line. Say, you have a problem with emerging something. You get the advice on the forums to recompile the kernel - and they assure you it will solve your problem. You would do it because you really need that app but you have no idea what a kernel is, as you've never compiled one.

Or, shall we say, the graphical install has finished. All went great. But then you notice that your sound doesn't work. You visit the forums and somebody tells you to edit some bizarre file in /etc/modules.d/alsa. But the problem is do not know how to use a graphical editor as root. 'And it all seems so stupid to have to edit all those damn files, just look at suse or mandrake, how easy they are. Gentoo is great, but shouldn't there be some control centre to modify all those files with several clicks? Like the one in mandrake?'

You're absolutely right!
SebastianJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakub wrote:
So, my personal opinion is that it's great that the newbs have to go through the manual console install because they learn a lot (even if they just blindly type in what the manual says, it's still learning, it's easier the second time, and the third time you do it, you begin to grasp what you're actually doing).

Good point, and I actually agree on that. But an helping-hand script wich is basically an interactive manual could have the same benefits imho yet saving the user from switching between consoles and having to retype everything.

Jakub wrote:
An automatic (not necessarily graphcal) install would be good for the more advanced users who do many installs (admittedly, it is boring when you install gentoo on the twentieth box).

Yes, that definately should be in IMO! That actually doesn't have to be very advanced, it just have to be on the cd...
denstark
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SebastianJ wrote:
Yes, that definately should be in IMO! That actually doesn't have to be very advanced, it just have to be on the cd...
But if its on the CD, what stops newbies from using it? 8O
rokstar> sure they do, you tried their coffee?
SebastianJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denstark wrote:
SebastianJ wrote:
But if its on the CD, what stops newbies from using it? 8O

Noone informs them about it? ;) just mention it on the end of the install manual or something. Or inform that it is strongly recommended to not use that tool and that it is only for experienced users, a newbie won't take such risks... ;)

:twisted:
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piffle wrote:

Were you actually making an effort to be that hypocritical, or did it just come naturally?

I don't really see why everyone's still arguing about this. The 'answer' was already given earlier in the thread.

People who don't care for an installer: one is being built anyway.

People who want an installer: one is in development, so there's nothing more you can complain about.

If it's not getting done fast enough for you, then go help write it.
chiatello
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to make an easy installer , it would have to ask the same amount of questions as you do already with gentoo, so it wouldnt really be much simpler

after all, the install guide is very clear, and well documented

also with a installer , it would be less flexible

installing with a install script or whatnot wouldnt speed up compile times , so it would still take a day or two to get a fully functioning system

the reason i think gentoo doesnt have a default install script, is because it doesn't really make things that much faster and/or easier (if you have your install guide printed out ;) )

onlly thing that sucks about the current no-installer deal, is that if you are new to gentoo and you miss one little spot of the install guide, your install might not work at all (happened to me on my first, and.. second install lol :D )
SebastianJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiatello wrote:
installing with a install script or whatnot wouldnt speed up compile times , so it would still take a day or two to get a fully functioning system

Hmm, not all people use gentoo for the joy of compiling you know... I use Stage3 and GRP since I have only one computer and can't live without it for some days. And even if you are compiling it all you may want to spend little time installing it and letting it stand in a corner compiling by itself.

chiatello wrote:
the reason i think gentoo doesnt have a default install script, is because it doesn't really make things that much faster and/or easier (if you have your install guide printed out ;) ):D )

And I think it's because it isn't done yet... :P
It saves you the time retyping everything. Wich actualy takes quite some while for a slow typer or an average like me.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No installer because it helps keeps the eejits out, which means we get less stuff like this...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: