errors during a emerge
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbolin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: errors during a emerge Reply with quote

I've noticed a couple times that emerging an ebuild will occassionally have an error in one or more components.

I rarely sit and watch a compile - as thrilling as scrolling compiles can be.

Is there any log generated during this process? It seems really dumb that when an error occurs emerge tells you to run it with the --verbose parm when it is too late.

My scrollback buffer is 500... how am I supposed to know what went wrong without recompiling?

thank.s
hds
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/var/log/emerge.log

but i agree. also quite often after a package it tells you to execute this or that. this has of course scrolled away if you came back to the screen. OTOH i dont want to pipe the complete output to a log either, so i think at least the warnings and notices (those with the yellow *s) should be in the log by default
cbolin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply.

So what is in the emerge.log if it doesn't redirect the compile out?
hds
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbolin wrote:

So what is in the emerge.log if it doesn't redirect the compile out?

'xcuse me, but why dont you have a look in your emerge.log and see?
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text. Reply with quote

emerge.log will not help you in this case, as it only contains overall package management success/failure status.
To get logs of everything that happens during a merge operation, add this to /etc/make.conf:
Code:
PORT_LOGDIR="/var/log/portage"
Then create the directory /var/log/portage, emerge something, and look inside it.
Note that those logs can get quite big, so remember to either comment PORT_LOGDIR out in make.conf when you don't need logging anymore, or to clean up /var/log/portage periodically, or to remove /var/log/portage altogether in which case no logging will take place.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text. Reply with quote

hds wrote:
/var/log/emerge.log

but i agree. also quite often after a package it tells you to execute this or that. this has of course scrolled away if you came back to the screen. OTOH i dont want to pipe the complete output to a log either, so i think at least the warnings and notices (those with the yellow *s) should be in the log by default

Code:
emerge packagename 2>my-log

emerge defaults to outputting compile noise on standard output and important stuff on standard error - a simple 2> redirect of standard error solves your problem. IIRC it's even in the manual *ducks and runs*

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
hds
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, but i dont want to have just the errors, much more important is the one or other hint that is listed!

example: i emerge a package, and it has dependencies, so lets say 5 packets are emerged. everything works without errors, but after package2 it is mentioned "dont forget to run bla bla after emerging this package". i am sure you know what i mean. i have seen this quite often.
this will not be in the log, because it is not an error. and my emerged stuff will probably not work! it is not on the screen either, because it has aleady scrolled out.
so i would have to pipe the complete log of everything, but then i wouldnt look at it at alll probably, because it is that huge always.
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hds wrote:
yeah, but i dont want to have just the errors, much more important is the one or other hint that is listed!

example: i emerge a package, and it has dependencies, so lets say 5 packets are emerged. everything works without errors, but after package2 it is mentioned "dont forget to run bla bla after emerging this package". i am sure you know what i mean. i have seen this quite often.
this will not be in the log, because it is not an error. and my emerged stuff will probably not work! it is not on the screen either, because it has aleady scrolled out.
so i would have to pipe the complete log of everything, but then i wouldnt look at it at alll probably, because it is that huge always.

AGAIN, the "other hints" are all output to standard error, so you will get them that way. Please read what I posted before replying.

hds
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, didnt read it that way that those hints belong to this as well. sorry for that then, and thx!
cbolin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

although it is "documented" have you tried reading the output of standard error?

It is full of garbage and very difficult to read.

I still think a way to read tips and errors that is enabled BY DEFAULT is needed in portage.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bug 11359
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming in favour of https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=131795
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: