Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 37, 38, 39  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bitwh0re
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amigafan wrote:
Is it possible that the howto is wrong about "--with-xercesjar=" ? The official install guide states that a file called xml-apis should be used. This file is available under gentoo, so I think the line should read:
Code:
--with-xercesjar=/usr/share/xerces-2/lib/xml-apis.jar
I HAVE NOT tried this yet. Another thing is the creation of the database. We create it using UNICODE, the official guide uses UTF-8. Maybe both is something to test and to update the howto ;)

The guide that I based the original HOWTO off of (v0.10) said UNICODE so it stayed and I haven't since been back to the official guide. As well, the xerces "link" is somewhat of a mystery to me.. I always thought it had to link to xercesImpl.jar .. again the original guide that I read really left you on your own to figure almost all of this out. I'll have to try again with xml-apis.jar.

As well, I see you're really busy on the official OX forums.. good for you! :) Are you deploying OX in a production environment?
amigafan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The guide that I based the original HOWTO off of (v0.10) said UNICODE so it stayed and I haven't since been back to the official guide.

Hehe, the official one is funny here. It says you should create a unicode db, but their own example creates a UTF-8 one. Maybe its the same in postgres!? Don't know...
Quote:
As well, I see you're really busy on the official OX forums.. good for you! Smile Are you deploying OX in a production environment?

Currently not, because its unstable software. But our customers frequently ask for an alternative to M$ Exchange and I want to be prepared when ox is stable. I think service build around ox could be a quite interesting business.
Dark_Hunter
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mhh, i think found something new:

/etc/openldap/slapd.conf

Code:
rootpw {CRYPT}<encrypted output from command above>

should be under the line

Code:
suffix "dc=ox-domain,dc=tld"
 rootdn "cn=Manager,dc=ox-domain,dc=tld"

Why? I had some trouble, and made a /usr/lib/openldap/slapd -t but it just said it failed:

try a

Code:
/usr/lib/openldap/slapd -t -d 1

and you get a detailed error-message for your configuration.

i think this would be good for a trouble-section of this guide.
like i always say greate guide =)

=============================================

New Beta5 is out =)
amigafan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to say that the guide works well with beta5. The new oxlook does work with this setup :-)

How are you using ox? I ask because I want to know how you are administrating ox. Does a login as user "mailadmin" work for you? Are you working with groups and global adressbooks? Maybe we need a "What you can do after the installation" guide ;)
alsubhi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed the last post OX HowTo.
http://www.mikefetherston.ca/OX/html/index-new.html

Everything goes fine until I try to emerge dev-java/ant , I got the following error message:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 16) dev-java/jython-2.1-r5 to /
>>> md5 src_uri ;-) jython-21.class
>>> Unpacking source...
try path /var/tmp/portage/jython-2.1-r5/work/
Done
>>> Source unpacked.
jikes
3 warnings
xargs: jar: No such file or directory
>>> Test phase [not enabled]: dev-java/jython-2.1-r5

>>> Install jython-2.1-r5 into /var/tmp/portage/jython-2.1-r5/image/ category dev-java
install: cannot stat `jython-2.1.jar': No such file or directory

!!! ERROR: dev-java/jython-2.1-r5 failed.
!!! Function java-pkg_dojar, Line 186, Exitcode 1
!!! jython-2.1.jar not found
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What shall I do to install this dev-java/jython-2.1-r5 in order to proceed?
alsubhi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solved the problem by reading the java_config document.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/java.xml

I had to set environment variable CLASSPATH and system-vm.
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, working my way through install but stopped as waiting for sub domain to be setup, this raises couple of questions:

How will using subdomain for OX server affect setup?
I take it that where i see settings such as:

Code:

dc=ox-domain,dc=tld
ox-domain.tld

I woud use:

Code:

BASE dc=sub.mydomain,dc=com
sub.mydomain.com

Also i will not using this as full MX mail server but will use fetchmail to retrieve mail from main domain mail server, this of course means that email address will be:

Code:

user@mydomain.com

and not

Code:

user.sub.mydomain.com

As i see no mention of fetcmail do just set fetchmail up as per normal?

How do get mail to OX users?

Also should note that OX box is behind smoothwall corp firewall and will be using port forwarding to get external users to OX server.

cheers
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
--------------------------------
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
bitwh0re
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpman wrote:
Hello, working my way through install but stopped as waiting for sub domain to be setup, this raises couple of questions:

How will using subdomain for OX server affect setup?
I take it that where i see settings such as:
Code:

dc=ox-domain,dc=tld
ox-domain.tld

I woud use:
Code:

BASE dc=sub.mydomain,dc=com
sub.mydomain.com

Actually, I think you would use dc=sub,dc=mydomain,dc=com. The only limitation I could see using your method is that I don't believe it would allow you to separate two possible OX servers to sub1.domain.com and sub2.domain.com.

carpman wrote:

Also i will not using this as full MX mail server but will use fetchmail to retrieve mail from main domain mail server, this of course means that email address will be:
Code:

user@mydomain.com

and not
Code:

user.sub.mydomain.com

As i see no mention of fetcmail do just set fetchmail up as per normal?

How do get mail to OX users?

I believe postfix will allow you to change your outbound domains for the users on the box. There are two parameters in main.cf called myorigin and mydestination. You can read more here:

http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html#myorigin

As for fetchmail, I haven't used it with OX or in any other type of situation. Going on what I know about fetchmail, could you not write a rule where fetchmail gets the mail and then delivers it to cyrus? Maybe some of the others would like to comment on this?
bitwh0re
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amigafan wrote:
Quote:
The guide that I based the original HOWTO off of (v0.10) said UNICODE so it stayed and I haven't since been back to the official guide.

Hehe, the official one is funny here. It says you should create a unicode db, but their own example creates a UTF-8 one. Maybe its the same in postgres!? Don't know...

Care to ask one of the developers? :)

amigafan wrote:

Quote:
As well, I see you're really busy on the official OX forums.. good for you! Are you deploying OX in a production environment?

Currently not, because its unstable software. But our customers frequently ask for an alternative to M$ Exchange and I want to be prepared when ox is stable. I think service build around ox could be a quite interesting business.

amigafan wrote:

I just want to say that the guide works well with beta5. The new oxlook does work with this setup.

How are you using ox? I ask because I want to know how you are administrating ox. Does a login as user "mailadmin" work for you? Are you working with groups and global adressbooks? Maybe we need a "What you can do after the installation" guide.

I'm not using it in any type of a production environment either, but am also very interested in using OX as a service to generate revenue.. you know, for those mobile road warriors that always need access to their data from multiple points of access. PM me if you want to talk more about this. :)

I haven't been doing too much of the administration side of OX, although I really would like to get into that side of it instead of testing new releases of OX against my HOWTO... I know that init-zero has been involved in the admin side of things and could probably write a book on it. :) I really think this document will soon be a mini-book. Maybe in time we should contact O'Reilly some day? :D
hybrid256
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, "MY" principal interrest in this project (including evolutions to this howto) is to replace an Exchange 5.5 based solution with something else than Exchange 2003 which I trust around the same level that I trust Exchange 5.5 (which is not very high on my list ...) and which is really too expensive, I'd really prefer spending this money in very reliable and powerful hardware instead of jerky software.

To give you an idea, replacing my actual solution with an Exchange 2003 server based solution would cost me arount 15000 euros for around 100 users ... and this is software licences only !

If I can make OX works correctly and if it gives me good results (which means if most of the Exchange features are correctly emulated so that the users are not lost), it would only cost me the hardware and would give me enough to buy something really strong which won't collapse because of some abuse with mailbox sizes !

So, yes, I'm definitely very interrested in this ;)
hybrid256
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I haven't been doing too much of the administration side of OX, although I really would like to get into that side of it instead of testing new releases of OX against my HOWTO... I know that init-zero has been involved in the admin side of things and could probably write a book on it. :) I really think this document will soon be a mini-book. Maybe in time we should contact O'Reilly some day? :D

Hey, contact me if you're looking for a french translator :P
Hibbelharry
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Fetchmail Reply with quote

Hey guys,
i think the important part when dealing with subdomains is setting up your mta right. just use fetchmail like this:

Code:

poll popserver.provider.com with proto POP3 timeout 30
    user 'john.doe' there with password 'password' is 'john.doe@sub.domain.com' here

so basically the mta with its configured transports should have to do the magic.

Greetz from Bremen, Northern Germany
Wilken Haase
wilken.haase@campuspoint.de
bitwh0re
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hybrid256 wrote:
Hey, contact me if you're looking for a french translator :P

You're more than welcome to do anything with the document as you see fit! I think one of the main terms of the FDL is that you make yours under the FDL and that you refer back to the original document as well as give credit. A french translation would be great!!
bitwh0re
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: some 0.8.0 beta3 Reply with quote

amigafan wrote:

Please note the missing --with-servletdir=/opt/tomcat5/webapps/servlet/ because its currently not supported. Also note the new flags --with-domain ... --with-rootdn . These are very nice because these entries will be filled into init_ldap.ldif and admintools.conf later on! Here I used --with-runuid=tomcat because webdav doesn't work with user apache - it gives a "permission denied" :( Don't know if this is the best solution.

Amigafan, I changed that in the document and all seemed to work well. I just recently took a look at ./configure --help and noticed that along with the --with-runuid parameter there's a --with-tomcatuser parameter. I've since changed the HOWTO back to --with-runuid=apache and added --with-tomcatuser=tomcat.

I have not tested this, but I think this will resolve the permissions issue as well as run the app as apache.
Dark_Hunter
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were several problems with "_sasl_plugin_load failed on sasl_auxprop_plug_init for plugin: sql".

You don't have to upgrade to the testing-packages.

You have to select the backend you want use (tooks me dayes ;)), if you don't, it seems try selecting the sql-backend automaticaly.

insert in your /etc/openldap/slapd.conf

Code:
backend bdb

After this line, restart your ldap and it should work.
bitwh0re
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boef wrote:
There were several problems with "_sasl_plugin_load failed on sasl_auxprop_plug_init for plugin: sql".

You don't have to upgrade to the testing-packages.

You have to select the backend you want use (tooks me dayes ;)), if you don't, it seems try selecting the sql-backend automaticaly.

insert in your /etc/openldap/slapd.conf

Code:
backend bdb

After this line, restart your ldap and it should work.

This is one of the things I was starting to look into yesterday. I thought that maybe adding ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="-postgres" to the emerge statement for cyrus-sasl would work. I have not tested that yet, but it is in the latest HOWTO. Did adding backend bdb work for you to get rid of those auxprop errors?
mammoccio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tnx man for the great howto!
btw at te moment i have a preoblem with the jk2 part of the doc, everytime I start apache i get:
[snip]
child pid 6937 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
[snip]
The version of apache and jk2 is the some as the doc.
someone pointed me on this direction -->https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=77834
Any hint?
Im coming mad about this stuff!!
Vito
Dark_Hunter
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitwh0re wrote:

This is one of the things I was starting to look into yesterday. I thought that maybe adding ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="-postgres" to the emerge statement for cyrus-sasl would work. I have not tested that yet, but it is in the latest HOWTO. Did adding backend bdb work for you to get rid of those auxprop errors?

Yes it works perfectly, didn't have any real problems, i remember i have fixed some rights but i'm not sure if it does matter.
But after that line, fixing the other things was realy easy =)

An other part (could be a bug of the beta5), to get "Setup" working, you have to edit
Code:
/opt/tomcat5/webapps/umin/WEB-INF/classes
, after that setup is working like a charm =)

Oh, I found something which is just importend for users start setup any webapplication on their servers:

/etc/conf.d/apache2

the line "APACHE2_OPTS" should be:
Code:
APACHE2_OPTS="-D SSL -D JK2 -D DAV -D DAV_FS

Are the last two things importend for webdav-support, would say yes but i'm not sure.
amigafan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boef wrote:

Code:
APACHE2_OPTS="-D SSL -D JK2 -D DAV -D DAV_FS

Are the last two things importend for webdav-support, would say yes but i'm not sure.

No its not. This line adds webdav support for apache, but ox uses the webdav part of tomcat so you don't need this. For ox its only important to have
Code:
-D JK2
here.
amigafan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: some 0.8.0 beta3 Reply with quote

bitwh0re wrote:

Amigafan, I changed that in the document and all seemed to work well. I just recently took a look at ./configure --help and noticed that along with the --with-runuid parameter there's a --with-tomcatuser parameter. I've since changed the HOWTO back to --with-runuid=apache and added --with-tomcatuser=tomcat.

I have not tested this, but I think this will resolve the permissions issue as well as run the app as apache.

Cool thing, I'll test it soon.

O'Reilly.. hmm.. any idea of an animal for the cover? ;-)
amigafan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: some 0.8.0 beta3 Reply with quote

bitwh0re wrote:

Better change it back to --with-runuid=tomcat. I've tested it and it gaves me:
Quote:
HTTP Status 500 -

type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: Can't access the filespool: Permission denied

There are other options such as --with-tomcaturl and --with-tomcatpassword. I somehow have the feeling that these parameters are thought for deploying the .war-files as the --with-servletdir parameter doesn't exist anymore (should be removed from the guide, btw.).
cpunchin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: File does not exist: /var/www/localhost/htdocs/servlet - FIX Reply with quote

For those getting this error on the apache error log on OX beta5, i think there's a typo on the Gentoo Manual http://www.mikefetherston.ca/OX/html/index-new.html it should read

/etc/conf.d/apache2 APACHE2_OPTS="-D JK2" (note the 2)

Quote:

First, we configure Apache to load the JK2 module:

/etc/conf.d/apache APACHE2_OPTS="-D JK2"

Keep the good work Mike!....
)(MarksTheSpot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so here's the biggie,

I've followed the latest install (Great doc btw!) and it's all floated along merrilly until I try and access the login screen (http://mydomain/cgi-bin/login.pl).

All I get is a 404. It says in the docs that this probably means that perl or apache2 isn't configured properly, and as the latest ebuild seems to re-enable the awful (imho) single-file apache configuration without deleting the old-style (and much better/easier/configurable) multiple file config, I no-longer know which files I'm meant to be changing.

I've added -D JK2 to my APACHE2_OPTS and it's starting fine, but I get a 403 for the main page and still get a 404 for the login script.

Any ideas?

TIA,

)(marks
playworker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this Thread is getting huge! :)

Just wondering if anyone knows why when using Sunbird to access OX iCal, publishing the entire calendar doesn't work but publishing individual events does ? I'm still using 0.7.5 BTW, not going to switch to 0.8 until it's stable :D

Cheers,

Matt
bitwh0re
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

)(MarksTheSpot wrote:

I've followed the latest install (Great doc btw!) and it's all floated along merrilly until I try and access the login screen (http://mydomain/cgi-bin/login.pl).

All I get is a 404. It says in the docs that this probably means that perl or apache2 isn't configured properly, and as the latest ebuild seems to re-enable the awful (imho) single-file apache configuration without deleting the old-style (and much better/easier/configurable) multiple file config, I no-longer know which files I'm meant to be changing.

I've added -D JK2 to my APACHE2_OPTS and it's starting fine, but I get a 403 for the main page and still get a 404 for the login script.

404 means file could not be found. I would verify that the files were copied over during the make install to /var/www/localhost/cgi-bin. Alternatively find / -name "login.pl" -print would find every instance of login.pl in your filesystem. A 403 is permission denied, that sounds like an apache config problem on your DocumentRoot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 22 of 39

Jump to: