Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Ack - undeleting a partition? (Plus Gentoo won't shutdown)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NegaBenji
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Ack - undeleting a partition? (Plus Gentoo won't shutdown) Reply with quote

I tried installing Arch yesterday onto a couple of spare partitions I had - well that was the plan anyway, before cfdisk decided to make an unrelated partition into 'Free Space'. Is there any chance I can recover this?

Here's how my drive was beforehand
Code:

(1)FAT32 Partition for Windows, 10GB (Primary)
(2)Extended partition, 106GB or so
    (3)FAT32 Partition for swap for Windows, 1GB (Logical)
    (4)Extended partition
        (7)ext2 /boot for Gentoo (40MB)
        (8)swap for Gentoo (768MB)
        (9)ext3 / for Gentoo (15GB or so)
    (6)FAT32 Partition, 92GB or something (my stuff) (Logical)

The Windows and Windows Swap partitions were empty - my plan was to delete the swap one, split that into a /boot partition and a Linux swap one, and use the main Windows partition for Arch. Deleting the swap and making two new logical partitions seemed to go fine, except I noticed one of them was numbered (6) like my large partition. I set up the new filesystems (although it didn't seem to format them, I could be wrong), hit Write, and they were done. Except my huge partition was gone and now marked as empty space!

The large partition is right at the end of the drive, and I haven't touched it since... am I screwed or can I recreate its definition in the partition table somehow?

Also, it seems that I can't get Gentoo to shut down anymore. It gets as far as 'Saving random seed [ok]' and then nothing happens. I don't see why it should be related but it all happened around the time of this partioning nightmare :(
NegaBenji
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think I fixed it using testdisk which basically reverted my partition table back to how it was before I touched it, seems to be ok (not booted into windows yet though).

One problem - the partition numbering's changed around a bit, and my gentoo partitions used to go hde7 hde8 hde9. Now they go from 6 to 8, and the recovered partition's now hde9. Rather than reconfigure grub, edit my fstab and grub.conf and who knows what else I might miss, is there any way to renumber partitions?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: