A possible minimal install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TMD3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:13 am    Post subject: A possible minimal install Reply with quote

I have been messing around with Gentoo since around 1.0_rc11. One thing I have noticed is that the base system seems to be getting bigger and bigger. Is there a way to just install what is truly needed alla Debian base install or Core linux which looks promising but alot of work? I was wondering if I commented out all the USE variables and make defaults would do the trick. Most of the stuff I have no idea what each package is doing for me exactly. Seems like a lot of fluff but I dont know much about. I would like to know if this would work or there was some other option that I am missing in the install docs. I wouldnt think there should be more than 15 or so packages that would need to be emerged after the bootstrap. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
ashkar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not sure if there is gentoo specific documentation about this, but a good place to look would be [url=linuxfromscratch.idge.net/view/4.0/]here[/url]. the package selection is very similar to gentoo's, and there is good documentation for each package concerning their use and dependencies. giving the lfs book a good once over would probably be a great start.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: