1.4_rc1 livecd and 3c59x driver
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtsquirrel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:00 pm    Post subject: 1.4_rc1 livecd and 3c59x driver Reply with quote

I'm trying to run the Gentoo 1.4_rc1 livecd on my desktop machine, but am having issues getting the network to come up properly. After I put the CD in, I'll boot into the Gentoo installer. Once I log in, if I check the dmesg logs, it shows the 3c59x driver messages: "Created by Donald ...." etc. However, once I attempt to run pci-setup and net-setup, I get the following messages:

Code:
  # pci-setup
     Warning, etc/modules.conf not in sync with /lib/modules/...
  # net-setup eth0
  # ifconfig eth0
     ....bunch of stuff.... MAC Address: FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF

So I looked through the forum here and saw that you might have to deleted /etc/modules.conf, so I did.

Code:
   (reboot)
   # rm -f /etc/modules.conf
   # pci-setup
   # net-setup eth0
   # ifconfig eth0

Same problem...it's not actually "using" my 3c905b network card. Any suggestions? I'm kinda annoyed that some ethernet drivers are built monolithically and others modularly, but as I understand it, there is already a bug put into the system against that.

Thanks for any help!
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 3C905B in my system and I too was surprised to find that the support for the 3c50x series of cards was compiled directly into the kernel on the liveCD. However all I did was run the ifconfig and route commands and then my card was working fine, network was up and running. What kind of card do you have precisely?

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
gtsquirrel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:31 pm    Post subject: 3C905B Reply with quote

The 3C905B. It's worked under Redhat before...I honestly don't remember if I had to compile in "special" drivers, or if I was just able to use the old 3c59x driver...but the 3c59x should be able to handle it.
gtsquirrel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:26 pm    Post subject: Found the fix Reply with quote

You literally don't do jack. That's the only way to make it work. When you start the install, login as root and then immediately type this in:

Code:

# ifconfig eth0 up
# dhcpcd eth0

Upon running 'ifconfig eth0' you should find yourself with an IP address. There seems to be some issue with running pci-setup and/or net-setup with the 3c905 series of cards....note for all future gentoo users out there. :-) Thanks for all your help, though!
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that pretty much sums up how I did it. Although I did run pci-setup and it found nothing. Then I tried to modprobe the driver, when it complained it couldn't find it I nosed around the /lib area and determined there was no module. Then I assumed it must be compiled directly into the kernel. I just ran the ifconfig and route commands and away I went.

Glad you got yours working!!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: