Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Severe chrash and reiserfsck --rebuild-tree. Gcc borked!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkCarnival
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Severe chrash and reiserfsck --rebuild-tree. Gcc borked! Reply with quote

Heya. I didn't quite spot a place where this belongs since the system is installed as such.
I was plasying with vmware and having a *real* disk mounted as a share on the gentoo inside vmware.. Then I made a new machine and the entire system locked on me, immidiatly..

I rebooted and after my splashimage was gone I saw that reiserfsck (isn't that the name?) couldn't fix my drive and asked my to run it with --rebuild-tree if I had been taking backups..

I ran it and didn't take backups since I don't have alot of work on this comp apart from the system itself all the way from stage one :cry:

It got along and fixed alot of places and I rebooted. All worked well, or so it seemed. See now I can't compile anything. First off I wanted to emerge catalyst, it errored out. So did a recompile of my vmware modules (which I obviously have done before so I began to be suspecious..!)
I tried ncftp and it said my gcc wasn't working cause it couldn't create an executeable.

Is there *any* way I can get this back working ? I'd think myself that all i'd need would be a working gcc binary build and if I'd see more wierd stuff, emerge sync; emerge system
would return the system to an error-free state.

What would you think ? And *how* can I obtain a working gcc again. Would bootstrapping the system again be possible, and if so, even wise ? Just wild guesses from a desperate man, I wouldn't want to do a complete stage 1 reinstall after just 8 days :S

Thanks *alot* in advance if you help me out here...!
didl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After --rebuild-tree are there any files in lost+found? If yes, try to
figure out what they are and if they're crucial for any of the
operations that don't seem to work any more.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: