chroot install error:
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:25 am    Post subject: chroot install error: Reply with quote

Upon me opting to skip stage1 and 2 and just using stage3 as this is my first 'whirl' with gentoo. When I issue the 'chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash' I get Illegal Instruction. Ive run into this on debian before and it was just a bug in the code. I am using the pentium3 arch on a via c3 chip, so this should not be the problem. I did make some partition changes but I was careful to document what I have done along the way and make my changes cohesively. As well I have tried 'export LC_ALL=C' in thinking its a portablility issue but no avail there eigther.
dp.
reves
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am using the pentium3 arch on a via c3 chip

Illegal instruction ususally indicates code that was compiled for a different arch. Try i586 for the arch (and i586 for the CHOST setting).
macd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:15 am    Post subject: Worked Reply with quote

Thanks I was under the impression the c3 was 686 but 586 worked fine, that is untill first boot I forgot to run etc-update, as well I made a bad choice by trying agpart (wanted the lil logo during boot ;) ), I knew my chipset support was flakey at best; none the less eigther that or the not running of etc-update causes the machine to hang rite after :
NET4: Unix domain sockets ........etc etc

Off to make a bootdisk I go.....
macd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:50 am    Post subject: Still Nothing Reply with quote

After a kernel recompile with AGPART disabled, and running the etc-update machine still hangs at same point lited above, at this point in time I think my action should be to just re-install, unless anyone has any idea why the machine is hanging, as well there were no errors in dmesg only the abruptly stopped logs at the point of 'hang'.

dp
reves
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Still Nothing Reply with quote

macd wrote:
After a kernel recompile with AGPART disabled, and running the etc-update machine still hangs at same point lited above, at this point in time I think my action should be to just re-install, unless anyone has any idea why the machine is hanging, as well there were no errors in dmesg only the abruptly stopped logs at the point of 'hang'.

What optimizations did you use for your kernel?
macd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 5:40 am    Post subject: Nothing out of the ordinary Reply with quote

I have a basic template I use on those via boxes (Ive got about 20 of them) currently all running some version or RH but all the same kernel and they all boot fine, the only thing I changed was/were the AGPART and turned off RAMDISK support. The point it hangs is where Linux usualy progresses into rc system loading, is it possible that the etc-update only works in the initial system chroot'd enviornment?

dp
reves
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The point it hangs is where Linux usualy progresses into rc system loading, is it possible that the etc-update only works in the initial system chroot'd enviornment?

etc-update checks for new configuration files when a package is updated. If you didn't run
Code:
export CONFIG_PROTECT=""
before running
Code:
emerge system
the bootscripts might not have been updated when installing baselayout. If you did set CONFIG_PROTECT before installing you wouldn't have anythign to worry about but you shouldn't need to run etc-update during the initial install. What did you choose for the proccessor type during kernel configuration?
macd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:52 am    Post subject: Settings Reply with quote

I used ViaC3 in the proccessor settings in kernel config. As far as the:

export CONFIG_PROTECT=""

I dont remember running across that in the installation documentation. Maybee its time I just reinstalled; I only have a few hours invested so far.

Thanks for the help...

dp
reves
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the install doc:
Quote:
13.Progressing from stage2 to stage3

Once your build image has been bootstrapped and you're at stage2 (again, if you are using a stage3 tarball than these steps are not required) it's time to build or install the rest of the base system.

Note: If you haven't done so, please edit /etc/make.conf to your flavor.

Code listing 13.1: Installing the Rest of the System

# export CONFIG_PROTECT=""
# emerge -p system
[lists the packages to be installed]
# emerge system

Note: The export CONFIG_PROTECT="" line ensures that any new scripts installed to /etc will overwrite the old scripts (stored in sys-apps/baselayout), bypassing Portage's new config file management support. Type emerge --help config for more details.

By the way I was thinking about your original issue and I beleive the Via C3 chip is actually 686, I think all of the Cyrix chips have been 686. You should be able to use -march=i686 but not -march=pentium3 bucause the chips aren't exactly the same.
macd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:10 am    Post subject: Stage3 Reply with quote

I immediatly did stage3, I did not do stage 1 or 2 as this was my first go around with gentoo, from what I read bootstrap process was not needed on a stage3 initial install. But I do see now that it is still part of installing the rest of the system. Im starting a new install tonight but I am opting todo the stage 1 -2 -3 install this time.

dp-
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate of https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3801&highlight=chroot+illegal+instruction
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: