dvd writing support
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanisete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: dvd writing support Reply with quote

Hi to all:

I was thinking in buying a new dvd writer with dl support, but i don't want to have problems (or at least not many ;) ) with it. I thought in two writers:

- The internal 16x Lacie d2

- thw new Plextor px716a

Can anyone tell me their experiences with these tow brands in gentoo? Any big problem writing?

Thanks a lot!!!!
SubAtomic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could consider getting a single layer dvd burner (quite cheap) and flashing it wih dual layer enabled firmware. Lite-On, Pioneer and LG (no doubt hundreds more) have some models that can be flashed to support dual layer burning. I also heard a rumour about a sony firmware update that allows a particular sony burner to burn at 8x on 4x media. Probably doesnt help you out much, but it would be a good idea to look at dvd burners that are sold as single layer burners and flashing it with dual layer firmware.
"The real romance is out ahead and yet to come. The computer revolution hasn't started yet. Don't be misled by the enormous flow of money into bad defacto standards for unsophisticated buyers using poor adaptations of incomplete ideas." -- Alan Kay
ruben
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Plextor 716A and i'm happy about it, although i have to say that i didn't really use it a lot yet. Wrote a couple of cdrs, cdrws, dvd+rs and dvd+rws. The latest cdrecord from cdrtools supports the GigaRec feature. One quite annoying thing though is described in this post: the normal cd/dvd-writing tools error out when you try to write to certain media. I had this problem when trying to write a Princo dvd+rw (with dvd+rw-tools in k3b/graveman/gnomebaker). I hope this problem will be fixed soon upstream, but i used a demo-version of NeroLinux and that worked great.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: