Starting irexec from local.start
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Starting irexec from local.start Reply with quote

I'm trying to run irexec at boot time. I want to be able to do stuff like shut down the computer with a remote, even if no users are logged in.

I add the following line to /etc/conf.d/local.start
Code:
irexec --daemon /root/.lircrc

After reboot I get no response when I'm trying to execute commands with irexec. I have checked with ps, and irexec is really running.

If I log in as root and run the command
Code:
# irexec --daemon /root/.lircrc

everything is working as expected. I can log out and still run commands with irexec.

I can't understand that it should make any difference if I start irexec from local.start or as root from a termianal, so why isn't it working when I'm starting it from local.start?

Suggestions?
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know exactly the answer, but I tried this some times ago, and definitely, it does not work.

It should be related to that thing that when started from local.start, there is no logged in user, and maybe irexec need it.

Anyway, it is much better to start irexec from your user's login script. (I was able somehow to start irexec at the beginning, but even root can't use it.)

Much better, if you use irexec only when your application needs it. I've created simple shell files to start such applications, e.g. tvtime:

/usr/local/bin/tv:

Code:

irexec &
tvtime
killall irexec

This way I use it only when needed, and killall kills it, when not needed. Because I am a normal user, I can kill only those irexec which I started, not other users'.

Sipi[/code]
flax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sipi, thanks for your reply and suggestions! But as I wrote, I would like to be able to use the remote even when no users are logged in.

I found out that the solution is actually quite simple; don't use the --daemon option. I added the following line to /etc/conf.d/local.start and now it's working:
Code:
irexec /root/.lircrc &
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, well, sorry for my misunderstanding...

And thanks - it is a good info to know! (I fighted with it, too, so good to know how to handle the situation.)

Regards,
Sipi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: