Wife sounds like Minnie Mouse with Zoom - SOLVED
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:25 pm    Post subject: Wife sounds like Minnie Mouse with Zoom - SOLVED Reply with quote

My wife is having problems with Zoom. Sometimes, but not always, on a Zoom session she sounds like Minnie Mouse - high-pitched and squeaky. This is a serious WAF issue, and next week she has a Zoom meeting so that can record "reading to kids", which she used to do in person in schools, pre-pandemic. I need to fix this for her, it needs to be reliable, and I need it fast.

There doesn't seem to be anything about this in Gentoo-land. I've seen some references in Arch-land about about changing the default-sample-rate to 48000, which I haven't tried yet. I'm not fond of pulseaudio in the first place, but I needed to install it to have Zoom working properly, and even thing it isn't 100%, as evidenced by this question.

I'm also wondering about putting in pipewire instead, though from what I've seen it seems to work with pulseaudio instead of completely replacing it, meaning that I have two breakage points. But if it solves this problem, I'm for it. Looking in Gentoo it appears that piepwire doesn't need pulseaudio after all, but without it controlling it becomes problematic. The good side about keeping pulseaudio there in some role is that it keeps pavucontrol, and she strongly prefers GUIs to anything command-line.

Advice, please?

Last edited by depontius on Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've seen this happen in zoom if I have the camera plugged in prior to starting Zoom, and seems to work better if it's attached after. This is of course annoying but it seems to imply initialization failure. I haven't used zoom in a while so I don't know... Was using a old UVC driver camera.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
I think I've seen this happen in zoom if I have the camera plugged in prior to starting Zoom, and seems to work better if it's attached after. This is of course annoying but it seems to imply initialization failure. I haven't used zoom in a while so I don't know... Was using a old UVC driver camera.

I can certainly try that, but part of the problem is testing. This doesn't happen all the time, and seems to happen more with some people than others. I hate intermittent problems, and I'm hoping for something solid.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What video capture unit (with built in sound I assume, or are you using separate sound?) are you using? Specific model?
I've heard (heard is a misnomer, other people needed to report to me) that echo cancellation also sometimes is a problem not only the voice tone issue.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
What video capture unit (with built in sound I assume, or are you using separate sound?) are you using? Specific model?
I've heard (heard is a misnomer, other people needed to report to me) that echo cancellation also sometimes is a problem not only the voice tone issue.

For video capture I'm using something my wife requested for Christmas, something that hangs down in the center of the screen so that when you look at the camera it looks to the people watching like you're looking right at them instead of at the tops of their heads. That has a mike, but so far it's been acting oddly and I haven't used it. Our old webcam was a Logitech C600 "golf-ball". It's still connected, sitting at the bottom of the monitor, and I'm using its microphone. These problems pre-date the new webcam. This hasn't sounded like an echo - the pitch is off, which seems to match others suggesting changing the sample rate in pulseaudio.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera I use that had the pitch problem is a Logitech as well, not sure which model it is, but it's likewise an "eyeball" camera. could be an issue specific to the Logitech, but not sure, hence wondering about the model number. Now that we're out of lockdown I've had little interest in testing it since there hasn't been a need to work with it anymore, despite getting other cameras to point at my 3d printer...

IIRC nobody complained about a pitch problem when using my built-in UVC camera/audio on my laptops... which more strongly points to a hardware quirk with the audio hardware on the Logitech.

---

It appears I have a Logitech C500 ... suspicious ...
Sometimes wish to get back into lockdown so I have reason to test the other cameras, alas no reason to now.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
The camera I use that had the pitch problem is a Logitech as well, not sure which model it is, but it's likewise an "eyeball" camera. could be an issue specific to the Logitech, but not sure, hence wondering about the model number. Now that we're out of lockdown I've had little interest in testing it since there hasn't been a need to work with it anymore, despite getting other cameras to point at my 3d printer...

IIRC nobody complained about a pitch problem when using my built-in UVC camera/audio on my laptops... which more strongly points to a hardware quirk with the audio hardware on the Logitech.

---

It appears I have a Logitech C500 ... suspicious ...
Sometimes wish to get back into lockdown so I have reason to test the other cameras, alas no reason to now.

The Logictech C600 is now a thing of the past - and so is Mickey Mouse.
I got her a new "center cam" for Christmas this year, but initially the microphone was not working, so we still had the C600 plugged in. I did a bit more diagnosis on the new mic and have it working now, and Mickey is apparently banished.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the follow up, good to know that more than just my Logitech has issues. I have yet another Logitech camera and it doesn't even enumerate properly all the time in USB, I ended up pretty much delegating it to the round file, maybe I will need to avoid all Logitech cameras in the future...
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Thanks for the follow up, good to know that more than just my Logitech has issues. I have yet another Logitech camera and it doesn't even enumerate properly all the time in USB, I ended up pretty much delegating it to the round file, maybe I will need to avoid all Logitech cameras in the future...

Zoom has an approved camera list, and on my computer I have a camera from that list and it works flawlessly. I also have a Logitech camera somewhere in a drawer that Zoom doesn't list, and it doesn't work at all. The C600 was not on the list, but it worked anyway - sort of, some of the time. I'm not sure why Zoom is so quirky about its acceptable cameras. I would call this their fault, not Logitech's.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another Logitech UVC camera and likewise found that it was flaky but it doesn't detect 100% of the time in Linux so I figure there's more going on with that camera. But the C500 detects properly all of the time, just that 50% of the time I sound like minnie mouse too. Other applications work fine with the C500, audio and video.

I did not see the "approved camera" list from zoom, that is a shame. Yeah appears that zoom is using some crazy feature and closed-source silencing it. so agreed, zoom problem.

One thing that I didn't quite address properly is that on the laptops, the onboard sound is being used unlike the C500's built in microphone. Perhaps there's some quirkiness with just the audio portion of the C500. I also have tested a junky ihome branded camera (appears to have a 320x240 sensor and has awful optics) and its audio appears to always work unlike the C500.
petr2008
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experienced similar problem with Teams yesterday. My voice was somehow silenced after the first word. Even with microphone sensitivity on maximum. I tested it with external microphone and I was told it behaves the same. It seems to me that something is now wrong with surround noise suppression.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: