I just bought a Sun Server...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woolsherpahat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: I just bought a Sun Server... Reply with quote

Yeah, I just bought a sun server for $25 US from a surplus sale but I have no idea what kind of stuff it's got cooking inside of it. The front says Sun Microsystems, Ultra 5 and Ultrasparc driven. I opened it up and there's no hard drive which is pretty standard for a state surplus sale, they pull the hard drives for security reasons. They're four sticks of RAM in there, three of them have stickers that say 128MB so I'm guessing it's fairly safe to assume it's got 1GB of SDRAM? It's got a VGA graphics card in it but I need a special sun keyboard right?

Anyone know anything about these suckers? Did I get a good deal? Will Gentoo run on it?
inode77
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes gentoo will run nicely on it.
4 times 128MB gives 512MB; @ least that's what is thought here in europe
If you don't have a sun keyboard try to use a serial connection. (The sun is FULLY useable via serial connection => no need for keyboard,screen...)
It's always recommended to check and if a newer OBProm soft exists to install it. Buy a HDD (make sure it's <= 137GB; I recommend 120GB WD ATA HDD with 8MB cache) and install gentoo.
Have fun!
woolsherpahat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inode77 wrote:
Yes gentoo will run nicely on it.
4 times 128MB gives 512MB; @ least that's what is thought here in europe
If you don't have a sun keyboard try to use a serial connection. (The sun is FULLY useable via serial connection => no need for keyboard,screen...)
It's always recommended to check and if a newer OBProm soft exists to install it. Buy a HDD (make sure it's <= 137GB; I recommend 120GB WD ATA HDD with 8MB cache) and install gentoo.
Have fun!

Heh, yeah, my mistake on RAM, need to work on that whole counting thing. I don't understand what you mean by a serial connection. Is just like a Ethernet connection only over the serial port? Is OBProm Sun's equivlent of x86's BIOS?

I did a quick lookup on ebay and apparently the CPU's probably a 270Mhz, how does that stack up to, say, a 700Mhz PIII?
inode77
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Heh, yeah, my mistake on RAM, need to work on that whole counting thing. I don't understand what you mean by a serial connection. Is just like a Ethernet connection only over the serial port? Is OBProm Sun's equivlent of x86's BIOS?
I did a quick lookup on ebay and apparently the CPU's probably a 270Mhz, how does that stack up to, say, a 700Mhz PIII?

No the serial connection is used to get a command line instead of keyboard/screen combo.
And yes the OBP firmware is like the x86 but much more powerfull and featurerich.
woolsherpahat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it go serial port to serial port? I only have USB and Firewire on my laptop.
inode77
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10k1 wrote:
Does it go serial port to serial port? I only have USB and Firewire on my laptop.
Yes it goes good old serial port to good old serial port. (Normally 9600N81)

IIRR a normal keyboard could be used too (But am not sure anymore) , google for it or ask how to proceed on #gentoo-sparc. They are REALLY good people there. (ciaranm, weeve, bazik......)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: