increasing the size of default 80x25 terminal display
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w98
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: increasing the size of default 80x25 terminal display Reply with quote

Toshiba Satellite A25-S207
P4 2.66, 512MB RAM

Install went relatively clean, just doing an emerge on KDE/evolution/gaim/firefox so I have some graphical tools to play with.

Far as I know, the video chipset on my laptop (some Aladdin chipset?) doesn't support frame buffering, but it hasn't stopped me from running KDE/gnome on various other linux distros on this machine. Would I still be able to set a 'vga' parameter to my kernel?

When I boot, my system defaults to an 80x25 text display, but I already miss the 128x48 display of the installation when the laptop used the full display.

How do I set this on my laptop like the installation process did? Haven't seen anything in the FAQ's about it...

-id
Cocobo-1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you graphics card is not supported in the kernel you can always run it in vesa mode. At least if it's reasonable new. I menuconfig go to Device drivers->Graphics support (2.6 kernel) and check VESA VGA graphics support. You can remove all other graphics support. You don't need it.
Edit your lilo or grub config file. I use grub and it say:

kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hde6 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x317

video=vesafb tells the kernel to use vesa framebuffer and the other two are some optimization you can use if you have mtrr in your kernel. vga=0x317 tells the kernel to use some nice resolution. I can't rememer the one I use but I think it's 1024x768

All sett, just reboot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: