View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
titan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Hard Lockup with Gnome 2.8 Reply with quote

I've just recently installed Gentoo again. My computer is an IBM NetVista 6830-EAU, and I am using the onboard Intel Graphics with it (i810).

I emerged kernel 2.6.10-gentoo-r4, x.org, and Gnome 2.8 last night, and hopped on this morning to test it out. I open Mozilla Firefox and go into the options to change some things, when X freaks the hell out. There are multiple colored horazontal lines runnign across the screen, and the system is completly locked up. No mouse movement, not Num/Caps/Scroll Lock lights, no Ctrl+Alt+Del or Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, and I have to depress the power button for 3 seconds to power it off. In #gentoo, I asked about this, and someone suggested to disable ACPI. My computer does not have an option to disable ACPI, only change the IRQ it uses. I did disable APM, though that did not solve the problem.

EDIT: I have WinXP running on it right now (as I have for the past few months), and I ran an old version of Gnome through Debian a few days ago, less this problem.

EDIT2: I disabled acpi by passing "acpi=off" in /boot/grub/menu.lst, reinstalling grub into (hd0,3), and remaking my bootsec.lnx in windows, and it still locks.

Last edited by titan on Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Roguelazer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe things like APM and APIC would be best disabled through bootloader options...
Registered Linux User #263260
titan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I emerged KDE over the last 26 hours, and it locks with that, but it's sorta diffrent. I can activate Caps/Num/Scroll lock, but I cannot kill X or go into another tty consoles.
user317
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its very unlikely that kde or gnome could cause a lockup, sometimes they may start consumign all your resources, but you should still be able to login and kill them. hard lockup are generally caused by misconfigured kernels or bad drivers.

sometimes though you may see more lockups in gnome as apposed to kde, (or the othe way around) this just means that gnome is doing something more often thats causing your bad driver or misconfigured kernel to fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: