View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cocktail
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: URGENT: Recreate OO Document Reply with quote

You won't belive this but the bloody cat walked over the keyboard and killed OO Writer on windows 2k for my girlfriend...

I'm not sure exactly what the bloody cat did, as my girlfriend isn't exactly a computer genius, but the document seems to be gone...

Can anyone give me some quick help as to where to look for remains of the ducument.

Apparently it wasn't saved before the bloody cat went crasy, and a search of the local hdd:s havent given any relevant result of *.sxw

Any help, or hints would be helpful. Please dont tell me to RTFM as I don't have time, if you know please tell me, and I'll be happy to write a FAQ or howto... ;)

-C
Diamon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is an autosave function, but it's off by default.

If you turn it on, it still prompts you to save by default.

Even if you turn prompting off, if you haven't already save it once so it knows what to name it, it prompts you.

So unless you took some measure as far as saving it once manually, it's gone. It existed only in memory, and memory gets overwritten quickly when freed.
Cocktail
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... well as she didn't save as she worked with it I guess its safe to assume that autosave was off...
AS OO is written by competent programmers I fear that you are right and the work is gone, but at the same time I know that MS has a habit of saving temporary files all over the system...
If I could find one of those then mayby all of the work wouldnt be lost, and I'll be a hero... 8)

-C
DarrenM
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably better you don't find it. Maybe then she'll learn to "save early, save often"

Teach her how to press ctrl+s.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: