Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
RANDR (resize and rotate / 'pivot') + dual head in xorg?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElCondor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: RANDR (resize and rotate / 'pivot') + dual head in xorg? Reply with quote

I want to upgrade my workstation with a dualhead graphicscard and 2 TFT monitors. since all better panels support the "pivot" function, ie the display can be turned by 90°, I was wondering if there are any positive experiences using dual head and the pivot function with xorg (with certain graphic cards?). The X option is called "RANDR" (resize and rotate), I found some information on google, but mostly problems or error reports.

If anyone has tried and can give some hints for a good (== working with X, 2 DVI ports) graphicscard and probably off-the-road solutions to get these features working, I'd be as pleased as punch :)

* ElCondor shivering with anticipation pasa *
Schmolch
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time i did this, which was about 10 months ago, it was not possible to use XRANDR and ROTATE at the same time (it was officially not working).
It was possible to bring all my screens (3) into pivot (rotate 90,180,270 or even 360 ;)) but i had to choose if i want it rotated or not and i could not change it without restarting the X-Server.

There also might be a problem with DVI.
I didnt have DVI but i planned to buy a dual-dvi-card at one point which i never did.
The problem was that the Dual-DVI-Card (in my case it was a NVIDIA) would have required me to use the NVIDIA-Driver (instead of XFree's NV-Driver) to get both DVI-Ports to work and the NVIDIA-Driver doesn't (or at least didn't some time ago) have ANY pivot-functionality (there's a linux-section in the official NVIDIA-board where lots of people requested that feature, have a look there).

So the only solution for using multiple TFTs with DVI was to use multiple Video-Cards with DVI (or RGB if you dont mind).

I used 2 TFTs connected via RGB... oh and wait... im afraid there is something else i almost forgot and its pretty bad:

The NV-Driver (the NVIDIA-Driver has no pivot remember) lost ALL his hardware-acceleration when ROTATE was used (and im not talking about 3D which it doesnt have anyway, just simple 2D), so the CPU had to do all the work and even with a athlon 2200+ it was too slow to be fun (i think it would have been ok in 1024x768 but in 1280x1024 what my TFTs had it was very noticable lagging and the CPU-Load was at 100% everytime something moved).

Oh Boy im sorry when i kicked your dreams into the dirty mud, but maybe all this problems have been fixed since (i doubt it).
bishop00s
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where in the xorg.conf file do you enable randr?

blender.org, gimp.org, inkscape.org!
zerwas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Section "ServerFlags"

Option "RandR" "on"
ElCondor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Update: dual-dvi working fine Reply with quote

So, I bought 2 19"TFT monitors today and a Nvidia FX 5200 Dual-DVI graphicscard. dualhead works fine with just the gentoo-package nvidia-kernel installed. though the nvidia driver seems to have some flaws (with certain arrangements of windows and applications on the desktop there seldom but true can be some blinking pixels), everything works fine so far :)

randr/pivot is to be tested soon .. ;)

* ElCondor dual-headed pasa *
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: