deregistering driver usb-storage ?!?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarMor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: deregistering driver usb-storage ?!? Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a problem with my USB storage device on a udev-enabled system.

When I plug it in, the module usb-storage gets loaded, BUT before I have a chance to mount it, the module gets deregistered/unloaded and then I get an error message that /dev/sda1 doesn't exist (not surprisingly - OTOH a lot of of other sd*-Devices do exist at any given time).
Doing "modprobe usb-storage" AFTER plugging in the device helps, doing it BEFORE plugging in the device doesn't: the module gets automatically unloaded as before. Must be some mechanism to unload unneeded modules (module unloading is compiled into the kernel, because I read somewhere that it's needed for something; probably for the whole udev thing).

I changed a lot about my gentoo system recently (with a lot of resulting problems). That kinda makes it hard to pinpoint the problem. My fault.
However i believe only the 2 first changes in the following list are relevant to my USB problem. I'll also list other possibly related changes and problems just in case they are related after all:
  1. Switched from a 2.4-kernel to 2.6.8-gentoo-r7.
  2. Switched to the udev/dbus/hal-combination (currently udev-038/dbus-0.22-r1/hal-0.2.98-r1). I THINK that is when the problem probably started. I didn't use the usb-drive for some time after that, so I can't be sure really.
  3. The biggest change was to glibc-glibc-2.3.4 and gcc-3.4.2 - with new CFLAGS, CXXFlAGS and LDFLAGS no less! Emerged system afterwards - everything still seemed to work fine.
  4. Probably only related to the previous point if related at all: Emerged Gnome 2.8 - horribly broken on my system ATM, especially everything using gnome-vfs *ouch*
The relevant part of dmesg:
Code:
usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using address 7
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
scsi6 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
  Vendor: Generic   Model: Flash Disk        Rev: 7.77
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
SCSI device sda: 256000 512-byte hdwr sectors (131 MB)
sda: assuming Write Enabled
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
 sda: sda1
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi6, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
USB Mass Storage device found at 7
usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
usbcore: deregistering driver usb-storage
Compile Flags:
Code:
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -fforce-addr -fprefetch-loop-arrays -falign-functions=64 -momit-leaf-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -Wl,--sort-common"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: