View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angryguy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Restart System in GNOME? Log Out prompt not working Reply with quote

I did a Stage2 install of Gentoo last week on my AMD64 system, so my Linux experience is still fairly limited. I'd appreciate any help/advise you can give me on my current dilemas.

I'm using the GNOME environment. I changed the option under Desktop Preferences->Advanced->Sessions to prompt on Log Out. That prompt includes the options to restart or shutdown the computer, which is exactly what I wanted. The problem is that no matter which option I select (log Out, shutdown, or restart) when prompted it does the same thing - log out and return me to the Login Screen. How can I get it to actually shutdown or restart the computer when I select the appropriate option, rather than having to go through 2 menus (that, followed by the login screen) to do so? If it's relevant, I also have it set to automatically login as my user (not root) account since I'm the only one using this comp.

Secondly, a relatively minor problem. Under Keyboard Shortcuts I mapped a button on my keyboard to "log out" When I press that button however, nothing happens. To be precise, the size/colors of the scroll bars and title bars temporarily change, and then return to normal again when I press the mapped log out button, but no log out prompt.

I'm also still having difficulty getting my mouse working perfectly, and really would like to know how to get my video card's 3D acceleration working (old ATI card, but I read that 64-bit support is available for the older ones), but that's for another post: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=237297

Thanks for any help, or pointers on where to look (I seem to be posting here a lot lately . . ).
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can find all your answer with a little search.... :wink:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=231498&highlight=logout+shutdown

Video support on amd64 is include in Xorg for older ATi card... if you have an old card you have nothing to do... (except set your xorg.conf correct of course).
http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/ATIRadeon?action=highlight&value=CategoryHardware
See at bottom of page.

Mouse ? what's the problem ?
Angryguy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, must've entered the wrong keywords when I searched here before. I got the shutdown/restart to work properly now (per this solution), although it does no longer display the shutdown information (the kernel acitvity in shutting everything down) like it did before, but I guess that doesn't really matter so long as everything is working. Rather than repeating myself, see the post I linked to earlier if you have any ideas on my mouse issue - after some work I figured out how to get the wheel working, or the back/forward buttons, but I can't get both at the same time (and mapped to the right functions).

Are you saying that 3D acceleration support is enabled by default for the older ATI cards? If so, that is not the case for me it seems. Once I get 3D acceleration working, I will try to install UT2k4-64bit

I found some information elsewhere on GLX (it said it was missing whenever I tried running any of the graphics apps) and enabled it in the xorg.conf file. While glxgears and such is now working, rendering (is this the same as 3D acceleration?) is still shown as being disabled by "glxinfo | grep rendering" All of the screensavers are working now though (about half gave glx-related errors before).

According to that link you posted, I should be using the "r200" driver for my ATI AIW Radeon 9000 Pro. My xorg.conf file however is set to "radeon", could this be part of the problem? If so, how can I change it? -- if I change it to r200, it is unable to load that module on startup.

I really appreciate your help.
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes DRI provides 3D hardware accel. for card up to 9200 (see link). OpenGL support is included in it. But glxgear can work even without hardware acceleration.. the speed is just higher with hardware accel. If glxinfo tells you no direct rendering, DRI does not work.

Check DRI pages for more details about possible problems:
http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/DriTroubleshooting

Check for example if you have correct kernel options for DRM, AGPART
Code:
> grep DRM /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_DRM=y
# CONFIG_DRM_TDFX is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_GAMMA is not set
CONFIG_DRM_R128=m
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=m
# CONFIG_DRM_SIS is not set
> grep AGP /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_AGP=y
CONFIG_AGP_AMD64=y
# CONFIG_AGP_INTEL_MCH is not set

This is an example (my home PC) for ATI 8500DV on nForce3 chipset.

Also, from DRI webpage:
Code:
Both r200 and radeon DRI drivers use the radeon DRM driver.

For me, I am using the radeon driver in Xorg, but :
Code:
> dmesg | grep drm
[drm] Initialized radeon 1.11.0 20020828 on minor 0: ATI Technologies Inc R200 BB [Radeon All in Wonder 85 00DV]
[drm] Loading R200 Microcode

It loads the r200 code (whatever that means).

I don't know so much about 9000 to tell you more. Check your dmesg, and /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see what is load and what is not.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: