Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Kde/konq issues (menu and associations related)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yaneurabeya
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Kde/konq issues (menu and associations related) Reply with quote

Heya guys,
I've been having trouble lately with modifying my KDE menu and modifying file/program associations and I was wondering which files control that usage, how I can go about modifying them, or if there was a particular bug with the particular build I have. I am running KDE 3.3.0 on xorg 6.8.0, and when I run the Menu Editor and the Menu Updating tool via the xterm all I get is this once I "save" the menu edit:

Code:

bash-2.05b$ kmenuedit 
bash-2.05b$ X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
  Major opcode:  20
  Minor opcode:  0
  Resource id:  0x2c0033d

The Menu Updating tool doesn't do anything and apart from that I get 0 error messages.

Also this may be unrelated, but I get a ton of printouts (~10) about BadWindow values when I log out of KDE. I suspect that something fishy's going on, but I'm not sure what...
yaneurabeya
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be more than just the menus and associations and it also appears to be just the general configuration settings. Not only does konqueror or the kde menu not behave, but also the items in kicker, and so forth.

I'm seriously thinking of moving to enlightenment because this is just plain silly why it's not working...
zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What CFLAGS did you emerge KDE and Xorg with? I get the feeling you're using a lot of optimizations that are unsafe.
yaneurabeya
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that I used for my CFLAGS were the atypical one's in my make.conf file I think...

Code:

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer"

The only thing that I could possibly attribute this to is maybe...
1) The fact that I tried to port old settings from KDE are starting to haunt me. This shouldn't be the case though considering that I did change the UIDs and GIDs to fit my reformat.
2) Maybe my "KDE Super light" didn't work, but I thought that cutting out the games, edutainment, and other garbage wouldn't affect the settings. It didn't for the first couple weeks that I reinstalled Gentoo.
3) Maybe the perms got screwed up when I modified the files (after exiting KDE), because for some odd reason I loaded up KDE under a sudo'ed bash, so maybe it thought I was root. I tried to eliminate that though by deleting files, but that's not the case. I wonder if sudo changed since my last upgrade (pre-July) because I thought it used root's directory as its home setting. This is probably the culprit, but I'm not sure.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: