Scripting Options For Smoother Gentoo Installs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gentoo409
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Scripting Options For Smoother Gentoo Installs Reply with quote

I started thinking about writing my own script to speed up some of the install process for Gentoo so I wouldn't have to keep coming back to the computer to check up on it. Then I thought, "why bother, somebody else probably did it". Is there anybody who's written a script we can edit up to run the installation a bit smoother? What other automated installation options are there other than simple scripting?
ep98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before weeks ago I found two or tree allready dead/inactive project to create some kind of Installer for Gentoo (I dont and wont need an installer), here is the links for the installers:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/geninstaller/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/glis/

Also if u need Fedora like installation for Gentoo, use Anaconda Gentoo, search for it in Google :)
howey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see my script here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=239834
os
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've only just found this thread so sorry for the lateness of the reply...

A few months ago I wrote my own install script for Gentoo. I was also using it as a project for learning bash. I called the script "igloo" (Install Gentoo Linux Over and Over...), which describes how I used it pretty well :) . Recently I've tidied up the script and added a bit of doumentation (though it's far from complete) and you can download igloo from here if you want to try it out:

www.exception.org.uk/igloo/

To use igloo you create a configuration file, and copy this file along with the script into a floppy disk (or USB stick, etc.), boot the Universal LiveCD, mount the floppy disk and run the igloo script. That's it. User interaction is pretty much limited to choosing download mirrors (which you can hard-code if you want) and configuring the kernel (though igloo will remember kernel config files from a previous install so even this isn't always necessary).
I've tested it on 4 systems and it worked pretty well, but certain hardware is bound to trip it up. It only works on x86 at the moment 'cos that's all I could test it on.

I know there is an official Gentoo install system in development but as I've already written igloo I thought I might as well release it into the wild and see if other people find it useful.

I haven't tested igloo on Gentoo 2004.3 but it worked fine on 2004.[012] so I think it should work ok if someone wants to give it a go

Ol.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: