can not find reiserfs on ram disk
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dial_tone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: can not find reiserfs on ram disk Reply with quote

I'm having serious trouble with Gentoo install re: either the kernel or grub. I followed the install guide to a tee (so I thought) and tried both a custom 2.6 kernel and 2.4.26-r9 genkernel. The error is "can not find reiserfs on ram disk etc etc". I no longer have it in front of me. Why is it looking for reiserfs on a ram disk anyway?
I'm installing on the first SCSI disk and I used the handbook's partition instructions:

/boot on /dev/sda1 ex2fs
swap on /dev/sda2
/ on /dev/sda3 reiserfs

My grub.conf file looks like so:

default 0
timeout 15
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,0)
# genkernel users:
kernel /kernel-2.4.26-gentoo-r9 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/sda3
initrd /initrd-2.4.26-gentoo-r9

I have restarted the install no less than 4 times trying a different kernel each time and I'm getting nowhere. Please help. This is a stage3 install of 2004.2
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: can not find reiserfs on ram disk Reply with quote

dial_tone wrote:
Why is it looking for reiserfs on a ram disk anyway?

Maybe your kernel is missing support for ext2 (the filesystem used on your ramdisk).

Another way around this would be to not use a ramdisk at all (i.e. change the root=/dev/ram0 to root=/dev/sda3).
dial_tone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: can not find reiserfs on ram disk Reply with quote

cyrillic wrote:
dial_tone wrote:
Why is it looking for reiserfs on a ram disk anyway?

Maybe your kernel is missing support for ext2 (the filesystem used on your ramdisk).

Another way around this would be to not use a ramdisk at all (i.e. change the root=/dev/ram0 to root=/dev/sda3).

I tried that and it still failed but the error was something different. I can't recall at the moment. I thought genkernel just built in support for everything?
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: can not find reiserfs on ram disk Reply with quote

dial_tone wrote:
I thought genkernel just built in support for everything?

Last I heard, genkernel was compiling the SCSI subsystem as modules (not compiled into the kernel). This may be causing the problem when you try to boot without a ramdisk.

If the genkernel compiled kernel is like the LiveCD kernel, you may need to add "doscsi" to the kernel line in your grub.conf so that the SCSI modules get loaded at the right time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: