View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Gnome2.8: root runs fine, system frozen when user loads it Reply with quote

Title says it above: Whenever I log into Gnome as Root, it will work fine, but when I try as a normal user, the whole system freezes up and I have to do a hard boot to rescue my system. The same problem exists for me with XFce4, which leads me to believe that this is not a Gnome-specific problem, but either a problem with either
a) Gnome libraries
b) PAM

I know that the problem is related to permissions, since root doesn't seem to have any problems, but I don't really know what to do to go about and fix the problem I have. I'm running Xorg6.8 with the FGLRX drivers (ATI Radeon 8500), and I havn't touched any settings for composite, so I don't have to worry about that. KDE works fine for the user profiles, and that's what I'm using right now to send this out. I've updated the majority of my system so far with the emerge --update flags, but have yet to update KDE (I've got to have SOMETHING that I can send messages with!) nor LILO. One thing that raised some doubt in my head was that I when I updated Gnome and it emerged the gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.9-r4, I believe all it did was extract, it didn't compile at all. Should I recompile my kernel using r4 instead of r1? I'd rather just use 2.6.9 than the release candidates, but I don't want to veere too much out of the portage tree. If anyone can help me out, that'd be super cool.

Rob
robet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look through your logs, at least I would. If anything seems suspicious, report it.
soda_popstar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try removing your .gnome2 folder?
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robet wrote:
Look through your logs, at least I would. If anything seems suspicious, report it.

I tried doing that, but I'm thinking the system freezes before it gets the chance to report any errors. I can freeze my system and then post the xorg.old log (or whatever its name is), but I'm pretty sure it's PAM related.

soda_popstar wrote:
Try removing your .gnome2 folder?

I've removed .gnome .gnome2 .gconf* and all to no avail. I will create a new user, however, and see if there are any issues then.

Like I said before, I'm fairly confident that this is a permissions issue, since root can operate fine, but users can't. I had a similar problem when I was on Slackware and I updated from Gnome2.6 to Gnome2.8(not dropline), and if I recall properly that had to do with some proxy connections to the system (or whatever happens when the second icon flashes when logging into Gnome). Wish me luck!

Edit:

Okay, well I've checked the logs for /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log and here's the difference between the root and the users:

root:
Code:

(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard1" (type: KEYBOARD)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse1" (type: MOUSE)
(II) Mouse1: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/CID/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/local/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/Speedo/, removing from list!
AUDIT: Tue Nov 23 19:08:41 2004: 6792 X: client 6 rejected from local host

users:
Code:

(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard1" (type: KEYBOARD)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse1" (type: MOUSE)
(II) Mouse1: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/CID/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/local/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/Speedo/, removing from list!
AUDIT: Tue Nov 23 19:03:56 2004: 6645 X: client 2 rejected from local host
  Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ID: -1
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] removed 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] unmapping 8192 bytes of SAREA 0xe1a45000 at 0xb7d32000

From my guess, I'd have to say that it's something to do with my graphics drivers. I've added my default user (rob) to the video group, I'll let you guys know what the result is. If anyone knows what the solution to my problem is, please help. Right now it's at right after the splash screen for Gnome pops up for the user (even before the icons on the splash screen appear) all HUI becomes unresponsive and the system freezes completely.
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've found out that the trouble has to do with DRI. I can have OpenGL enabled, but I'm having permissions troubles with the users whenever I enable DRI and uncomment the last tag section for it. Any help?
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Okay, so is this just another Xorg6.8/Radeon conflict? Reply with quote

Can I go back to xorg6.7 and still use Gnome2.8?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: