AMD64 install on Uniwill 256KA0 laptop:"hda4 does not e
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Warlock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: AMD64 install on Uniwill 256KA0 laptop:"hda4 does not e Reply with quote

Okay, so I'm trying to install Gentoo on my notebook in such a way that it will dual-boot with WinXP (installed on hda1, an NTFS partition). This, by the way, is my first time installing Gentoo; all my other Linux experience was with Redhat, which, y'know, had an installer.

So I partitioned some more partitons with PM in WinXP, since I heard that resizing an NTFS part with Linux fdisk can kill it. hda2 (ext2fs) is supposed to be my /boot, hda3 is swap, and hda4 (ext3fs) will be /.

But when I try to boot off the LiveCD and "mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/gentoo", I get "special device /dev/hda4 does not exist". Same when I try hda2.

So I "ls /dev/hd*" and the only thing I see is /dev/hdc. No hda anywhere.

This is wierd, because I only have one hard drive on my computer. So I mount it and it turns out to be the LiveCD.

Now, I'm sure that this is probably my fault somehow, but those partitions mount just fine in Knoppix. Why isn't the Gentoo LiveCD acknowleging their existence?
aderio
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off Ive always used fdisk after an NTFS defrag and never had a problem. None the less try booting off the livecd and do an fdisk /dev/hda and issue a p command what does this give you you should see 4 partitions hda1 - hda4

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdh1 1 79656 40146592+ 83 Linux
what are their statuses?

Did you make2fs or whatever.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: