Unusual Crashing while viewing multimedia in KDE
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasonpf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Unusual Crashing while viewing multimedia in KDE Reply with quote

I've got a problem I don't know how to troubleshoot as my system completely hangs while I was doing the following:
1. Clicking forward in the slider in Noatun while watching a Divx avi
2. Opening a zip file containing a bunch of .jpg files while it was generating previews (and I clicked to scroll down)

The odd part is that the freeze isn't absolute. I can't move my mouse, I can't kill my X session using Ctrl-Alt-Bckspc and I can't even ssh into the box (so it would seem none of the services are responding at this point. However, the interesting thing is that the kernel is still doing NAT and port forwarding as I am still able to use my windows box to surf (of course before too long my windows box tries to renew its DHCP lease and dies too).

I am able to use the sysreq key to do a sync, umount/remount ro, reboot.

Any idea how to troubleshoot this issue? The log files don't indicate anything, I am beginning to get a bit peaved to have a mysterious issue like this.

I am running the 2.6.9-gentoo-r1 kernel, a Radeon 7000 VE QY, KDE 3.3.0 (I need to upgrade this, maybe that will help), XFree 4.3.0-r7 using the "radeon" driver.

Any ideas? I'll be upgrading KDE tonight, I might switch to X.Org soon too.
acarstoiu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it makes you feel better, I experience the same frozen state when trying to play movies with noatun and kaboodle. MPlayer however works fine.

I'm using KDE 3.3.1, kernel 2.6.9-r6, xfree 4.3.0-r8 (but I experience the same situation on a system with xorg-x11-6.8.0-r3).

I suspect it's something related to USE flags. Can some expert drop an idea?
Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: