Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
stage 1 installation, is this really bad?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
standing_lenticular
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: stage 1 installation, is this really bad? Reply with quote

i did a stage 1 installation on a pentium II a friend let me have. i understood a pentium II to be a 486 and thus used a 386 stage 1 install and had chost set to i486 for the bootstrap. afterwards i realized that a PII is a 686 and then changed the CHOST to 686. so far i haven't had any troubles with the computer. but could this cause problems later?

can i recomplile what i installed with the CHOST=i486 as i686? would there be any advantages?
mcspiff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to recompile everything, as im not sure how the difference between binaries would effect libraries etc. Although since everything a i486 can do a i686 can...actually, id wait for someone more knowledable in these matters comes along, so consider this a friendly bump :D
ricce_n
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you shuld not shange CHOST, your compiler / binutils / glibc is compiled for one and that only CHOST, if you change it you wan't be abel to compile anything (I'm not sure have portage will react, you may get incompatibel binarys or binarys that are working)

If you still can compile it will be all messed up when you compile a new compiler. The new compiler will be for your new CHOST - but still your old glibc will be for the old CHOST. That means any new program can't use the standard labary.

if you wan't to shange CHOST I sugast you run the bootstrap script again (after changing) and recompile ALL of your pakages.

Becase you just change from i486 to i686 it may still work, i686 is fully kompatibel with i486. But it is still no garatee

i tink a i686 program can link aganst a i486 libary, but if you upgrade a labary to i686 but not the programs using it it will surly caos problems

notice also that if you change CHOST, the new value will not take efect before you recompile gcc / binutils / glibc - you proberly need the recompile those programs a few times and after thet recompile ALL other programs.

Your compiler is compiled to generate i486 binarys and will generate i486 binarys if you don't compile a new compiler, but it is no need of a i686 compiler without a i686 binutils. gcc will just generate asably code, and binutils make axacutable programs out of it
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: