Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
emerge pango does not generate the libpangoxft-1.0.so??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaGNuS_Z
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: emerge pango does not generate the libpangoxft-1.0.so?? Reply with quote

Hi, i'm using Gnome 2 and recently did an emerge world -u which updated a lot of packages including gtk+. After that, i could not log into a normal gnome session, only a failsafe session with AA text disabled.

I've read a couple of posts and tried unmerging and re-emerging pango. However now even gdm doesn't start and complains about file libpangoxft-1.0.so.0 missing. I think this file should be built when emerging pango but isn't. I get no errors, everything compile fine but the libpangoxft-1.0.so.0 file is missing. (and i mean libpangoxft* not just this file)

<rant>Is it just me or other people are having problems with recent update of gtk+? With two levels of masking (~x86 and package.mask) one would have thought that released packages would have been more tested. Everytime i do an emerge world -u i'm worried that it will break my system... and it does! I don't think that's normal. I love Gentoo (i really do) but i want a relatively stable system, i could easily live with 1 month behind current versions of softwares to have them more tested. The impatient people could just be using ~x86 and the really bleeding edge type of people with editing the package.mask file.</rant>
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gkrellm plugins are complaining about this, too. But I don't know a solution at the moment.
foser
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not unmask the ones in package.mask and you should be fine. If you have a problem with the stable packages don't go ranting, but file a good bugreport.
MaGNuS_Z
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foser wrote:
Do not unmask the ones in package.mask and you should be fine. If you have a problem with the stable packages don't go ranting, but file a good bugreport.
You are absolutely right, i should not have unmasked anything in package.mask and that was my error. I unmasked xft 2.0 because that was needed by some package and everything was fine. However the xft2.0 broke xft (as seen in https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10834) and when i did an emerge world the new versions of pango, qt and other didn't compile because of this. A re-emerge of Xfree *without* emerge xft2.0 fixed it. The comment in the package.mask was "expect things to break if you uncomment this"... well it did so i guess it worked as expected! ;)

Sorry for the rant... i usually find fixes for my problems without complaining but this one was a little tougher. It's true that i can't expect things to always work when i'm using KDE RC2, Wine CVS, Galeon CVS, some developpement Gnome apps and the like... again i'm sorry.
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This same problem has been bugging me for the last week, and I don't use any ~x86 packages on this machine.

several gtk+ apps wouldn't run for me anymore: gdm, gqview

anyway, the way I solved it is

Code:

emerge -eu gdm

which eventually failed on docbook-sgml-utils. but it recompiled a bunch of stuff first. then I was able to run

Code:

emerge -u gdm

and it's compiling now. (libgnomecanvas failed compiling before looking for the bogus libpangoxft). and gqview works without being recompiled.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: