Request AMD64+gcc34+reiser4 Livecd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kezzla
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Request AMD64+gcc34+reiser4 Livecd Reply with quote

Can someone please hook this up !!! A bleeding edge kernel with all the latest reiser4 patches and gcc34 already there with 64-bit goodness...would be NICE :D

I've seen many threads with all these hacked up ways to install amd64 with reiser4 .. Lets get a livecd for this already...

TIA
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Request AMD64+gcc34+reiser4 Livecd Reply with quote

kezzla wrote:
Can someone please hook this up !!! A bleeding edge kernel with all the latest reiser4 patches and gcc34 already there with 64-bit goodness...would be NICE :D

I've seen many threads with all these hacked up ways to install amd64 with reiser4 .. Lets get a livecd for this already...

TIA

lxnay is working on it (check Reiser4 LiveCD thread from Italian-section). There's some bugs in Catalyst (LiveCD creation tool) that prevents creating it. He will release AMD64 Reiser4 LiveCD when devs has fixed the problem. Yeah, there are ways to install it, but they are ugly hacks ;)
bos_mindwarp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could settle for fresh 2.6.x kernel, nptlonly and udev, both on 32 and 64 bit live-cds. Been running nptl for quite some time now, ever since 2.5.x days. Never had any major problems, for a while blackdown-jdk wouldnt work with nptl, but that was it as I recall.
kezzla
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This udev stuff sounds interesting...I can't seem to find a definitive howto for this though. Sounds like you have to disable devfs in kernel and add something to grub ? Not sure on the specifics .. Guess this would be another thread altogether 8O

Are there any advantages to using udev over devfs ? I would like to implement this on amd64 during the install.
Swatinem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to install a amd64 system using a x86 livecd? I guess not but i'm not sure.
I'm about to install a fresh new system with all the latest stuff including reiser4 but there doesnt seems to be a amd64 livecd supporting that.
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kezzla wrote:
This udev stuff sounds interesting...I can't seem to find a definitive howto for this though. Sounds like you have to disable devfs in kernel and add something to grub ? Not sure on the specifics .. Guess this would be another thread altogether 8O

Nah, all you need to do is emerge udev, and remove devfs from your kernel. That's all there is to it! There should be several howtos on how to use udev afterwards hanging around, as well.

Swatinem wrote:
Is it possible to install a amd64 system using a x86 livecd? I guess not but i'm not sure.

Yes, but only in 32-bit. :wink:
needlern1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=189250&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
This post will get you into udev. About half-way down page 1. My question is how do I know it's working? What user level difference might I expect?
TIA, Bill
SoTired
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bring this thread back from the depths it had sunk into, but I couldn't find any more recent threads dealing with a bleeding-edge amd64 livecd.

Basically, my question is what's happened in the past 15 odd days with this, has there been any progress?

I checked out the thread in the Italian section (It may have been the wrong one,) but reading the posts after the first one wasn't really going so well, with my utter lack of any knowledge of the langauge and all, so... yeah - anyone have any updates?
kezzla
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGREED !!! Ya my first post still applies ..:roll:
luisdelv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on a cd yet for reiser4 on amd64?
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone here actually have reiser4 working on AMD64? I haven't seen a single definitive "reiser4 has been rock solid for me on AMD64 with kernel 2.6.x-blah for a week" yet.
epic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: reiser4 on amd64 Reply with quote

i have tried reiser4 on amd for some time now, beeing the type that not settles for the second fastest FS(reiser4) or OS(64bit), i ran it quite sucsessfully using 2.6.9-rc2-love4 a couple of days, then i tried nitro1 and nitro3, neither of which worked any better, rather worse.
cko3 makes pdflush go 99% cpu and tottaly lag the system, i'm about to try 2.6.10-rc1-vanilla with reiser4 when i get the time :)
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reisre4 also works for "a couple of days" for me. I can, however, always kill it with the following command executed from a kernel source directory, assuming /proc/config.gz is enabled
Code:
for i in `seq 1 20` ; do make mrproper ; zcat /proc/config.gz > .config ; make ; echo $i ; done & for i in `seq 1 5` ; do dd if=/dev/zero of=large_file bs=1M count=20k ; rm large_file ; echo $i ; done

If you don't have enough free space for a 20Gb file, lower the block count and make it run more iterations.

I get hardlocks with debugging disabled and processes freezing with debugging enabled. Either way I need to reboot, and sometimes the filesystem gets corrupted.
epic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw your previous post, seems like you've done some research on this..
you talked to any of the reiser4 devs about this? i also _really_ want this to work!
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epic wrote:
i saw your previous post, seems like you've done some research on this..
you talked to any of the reiser4 devs about this? i also _really_ want this to work!

Yup, and it looks like I'm the only person reporting AMD64 problems to the mailing list. Namesys refuses to buy AMD64 hardware (holding out for donations), so they won't be fixing it by themselves anytime soon.

If you want to help, either try an mm kernel (good luck with mm on AMD64), or read ftp://ftp.namesys.com/pub/reiser4-for-2.6/reiser4-on-2.6.10-rc1-HOWTO. Build reiser4 with assertions and see what gets logged when you crash it. Also check for corruption. I log the results of fsck --check and fsck --build-fs (if --check says I need to). Also, Vitaly is interested in the results of another --check if the FS was rebuilt.
epic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will see how much time i can spare for this. but bets are that i will try this anyway, so why not report my findings to a mailinglist? :)
luciano
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Which Kernel have you used for reiser4 Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I also have an amd64 system and have been trying to install 64 bit linux on it with reiser4... But I can't seem to start it up! I've compiled a 2.6.9-mm1 kernel with reiser4 support, and put it in a ext2 /boot partition. I've formated a reiser4 partition to be my root partition, and installed stage1 and (later) stage2 files there... I'm assuming you guys have done something similar?

But when I try to boot my kernel, it hangs after successfully mounting the reiser4 partition saying something like:

Not syncing - init failed: try adding init= to your startup params

I have appended init=/bin/bash to the kernel parameters, but this is no use. As I said above, I have tried 2.6.9-mm1, and before that 2.6.9-nitro2. if 2.6.9-rc2 worked, shouldn't 2.6.9 work as well??

Is there any way to get more debuggin information on boot up, e.g. by adding the 'assertions' kernel option?

Hope you can help!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: