View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daemon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 8:16 pm    Post subject: Huge memory leak in KDE Reply with quote

i didn't use any software to detect that but i have some observations and i don't know how valid my conclusions are.

when i first boot up to console, my memory usage is around 35M. after i start KDE my memory usage jumps up to 140M (ok KDE is a little bit heavy). but when i stop X and KDE and go back to console, i find that the memory is around 130M and when i start KDE again is goes to 170M but i kinda stabilize after that and keep hanging around 200M. of course after two days of up time with KDE i find that my memory is all eaten up (256M). every thing keeps running ok but terribly slow.
JefP@@
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm, that's nasty ... I can't confirm though, my desktop pc here at home doesn't run more then a day max, normaly ;) I'll try it and let you know...
phaze3k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say your memory is 'all used up', do you mean that the value for used is almost the same as available?

What is top reporting for 'cached'?

You'll probably find it's a very high value (my system has 512mb RAM, and 317mb is cached data) - this is a good thing, it stops the harddisk being accessed. If the memory is needed by a program it'll be freed.

I very much doubt you have a problem with KDE.
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same thing is happening to me only my kde actually locks up eventually. This happens if I have several konq windows open at the same time. I checked for runaway processes and it would seem that kicker (whatever program that is) is the cause of this. If used the runaway process catcher to find this out. The first time the process catcher cought it I told it to kill kicker and I lost my start bar at the bottom of my screen (apparently kicker is responsible for this). So after loging out of kde and then back it I told the process catcher to ignor kicker and it found nothing else. In its (the process catcher that is) list of programs to ignor before I added kicker was X so it may be responsible but not likely since I have had no problems with X at all. Games run fine and my display is perfect. This problem was not happening after first getting kde working, that I could tell anyways but It was late and I didn't mess arround with it much. Is there maybe a know problem with kicker in kde3? This is really anoying and hopefully someone know a fix. Thanx.
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I find really annoying in KDE right now is that konqueror doesn't handle some animated GIF's properly, and tries animating them constantly. If you get a few windows open with stuff like that, the entire X session slows down very badly (mouse cursor starts jumping, etc).

If that's the problem, you can right click konqueror windows and tell it to stop animations....
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, thats the funny thing. My mouse pointer, no matter how bad the slow down has gotten, still zipps along without any problems. Usually even my right click on the desktop still bring up the menu to log out run etc.. But if I try to click on the K to access my "start" menu, or the home icon on my desktop it will not load or it extreemly slow to do so. I actually had the mem usage screen up when this started happening before going to work and I was using the quick browse in the k start menu, looking at my sound modules among other things and suddenly my mem usage shot up like a rocket to the point that I only had like 1% free (physical mem) and the system locked. Something is deffinately not right with this.
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I haven't run into anything that bad yet... was there anything unusual that you configured on kicker (desktop bar thing) that could possibly be triggering a bug?
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havn't done anything to it at all. Its (kicker that is) all default settings.
MaRTiaN
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could it be related to this? (from the kde 3.01 changelog):

Quote:
Kicker: Grave memory leak in Quick Browser fixed.

jtanner
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem--kde sucking up all my memory and slowing things to a crawl. I'm hoping it's fixed in 3.0.1, but I don't use Konquerer or the Quick Browser very much, so I don't see how it could be related to either of those...

If I can get any more specific symptoms/correlations, I'll file a bug over at kde.org. Right now, the problem seems too nebulous.

Jim
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, that "grave mem leak" in the quick browser is a bitch. I was using it to cruise arround my files and I had Gkrellm running and I watched my mem usage skyrocket for all three catagoties to max and my system locked up on me bad (accept for my mouse. So needless to say I started staying away from the quick browser :D I will have to read the change log to see if there are any other fixes that justify the update.
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, anybody know when 3.01 is going to be added to the ebuilds list? I just took a look at the list of available packages and its not there. Don't want to seem inpetient just curious.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: