Error when emerging kdemultimedia-3.3.1
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thaldyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Error when emerging kdemultimedia-3.3.1 Reply with quote

When I try to emerge kdemultimedia-3.3.1 I encounter the following error:
Code:

libtool: link: cannot find the library `/usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.3/libstdc++.la'
make[3]: *** [juk] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdemultimedia-3.3.1/work/kdemultimedia-3.3.1/juk'

I tried to reemerge libstdc++-v3 but it didn't help.
Any hints welcome!
Benny007
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Same problem Reply with quote

I have exactly same problem on Celeron@2GHz.
danyer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Run /sbin/fix_libtool_files.sh Reply with quote

have you recently upgraded your gcc?

the problem is with .la files. they contain the dependencies of a library. since you updated gcc, the linker is looking in the old location. you need to update them.

first step, be sure that you changed the default compiler. check with gcc-config

second, run /sbin/fix_libtool_files.sh with the old version as parameter (from the first post I see that the correct command should be /sbin/fix_libtool_files.sh 3.3.3 but check that it is the same for you).

Then you should have no more problems.
matbecia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot danyer!
I spent quite a few evenings going through the forums doing everything people recommended for my problem, but nothing works. My case was a change from i386-linux-gnu to i686-linux-gnu, though, so i had to run
Code:
fix_libtool_files.sh `gcc -dumpversion` --oldarch i386-pc-linux-gnu

Just to make it easier for people in my case to find this thread: some search keywords
libstdc++.la not found
libtool cannot find libstdc++
thaldyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Run /sbin/fix_libtool_files.sh Reply with quote

danyer wrote:

the problem is with .la files. they contain the dependencies of a library. since you updated gcc, the linker is looking in the old location. you need to update them.

I followed your instructions and the fix_libtool_files command fixed a few files but now I'm getting a different error:
Code:

/bin/sh ../../libtool --silent --mode=link --tag=CXX g++  -DNDEBUG -DNO_DEBUG -O2 -O2 -march=athlon64 -ffast-math -funit-at-a-time -fpeel-loops -ftracer -funswitch-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE-DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -DQT_NO_STL -DQT_NO_COMPAT -DQT_NO_TRANSLATION    -o midisynctest -L/usr/X11R6/lib64 -L/usr/qt/3/lib -L/usr/kde/3.3/lib  -R /usr/kde/3.3/lib -R /usr/qt/3/lib -R /usr/X11R6/lib64 midisynctest.o libartsmidi.la -lsoundserver_idl
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: warning: libstdc++.so.5, needed by /usr/kde/3.3/lib/libsoundserver_idl.so, may conflict with libstdc++.so.6
./.libs/libartsmidi.so: undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::StdSynthModule::stop()'
./.libs/libartsmidi.so: undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::StdSynthModule::autoSuspend()'
./.libs/libartsmidi.so: undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::StdSynthModule::streamStart()'
./.libs/libartsmidi.so: undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::StdSynthModule::streamEnd()'
./.libs/libartsmidi.so: undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::StdSynthModule::streamInit()'
./.libs/libartsmidi.so: undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::StdSynthModule::start()'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [midisynctest] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdemultimedia-3.3.1/work/kdemultimedia-3.3.1/arts/midi'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdemultimedia-3.3.1/work/kdemultimedia-3.3.1/arts/midi'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdemultimedia-3.3.1/work/kdemultimedia-3.3.1/arts'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdemultimedia-3.3.1/work/kdemultimedia-3.3.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2
danyer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Just have patience ;) Reply with quote

matbecia, I'm happy that you found the info useful.

thaldyron, you are trying to install kdemultimedia 3.3.1 which is now in ~amd64
maybe you should keep with amd64 only.

if you want to go with kde 3.3.1 you should start compiling the kdelibs, kdebase for 3.3.1 first.

i'm still with kde 3.3.0 so I could only guess.

best,
danyer
LaNcom
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always start with Arts, then kdelibs and kdebase. I'm using KDE 3.3.1 (with kdeimprove 1.0 patches), and it works just fine on AMD64.
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thaldyron

I have the same problem on an amd K7 MP system.

Code:
./.libs/libartsmidi.so: undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::StdSynthModule::stop()

I am trying to reemerge arts and then kdemultimedia and I will write back what happens...

[EDIT]
Nope. That did not work...
Code:
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: warning: libstdc++.so.5, needed by/usr/kde/3.3/lib/libartskde.so, may conflict with libstdc++.so.6
/usr/kde/3.3/lib/libartskde.so: undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::SynthModule_stub::streamInit()'
/usr/kde/3.3/lib/libartskde.so: undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::StdSynthModule::stop()'
/usr/kde/3.3/lib/libartskde.so: undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::SynthModule_stub::streamEnd()'
/usr/kde/3.3/lib/libartskde.so: undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::StdSynthModule::streamEnd()'
/usr/kde/3.3/lib/libartskde.so: undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::SynthModule_stub::autoSuspend()'
/usr/kde/3.3/lib/libartskde.so: undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::StdSynthModule::streamInit()'
/usr/kde/3.3/lib/libartskde.so: undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::StdSynthModule::streamStart()'
/usr/kde/3.3/lib/libartskde.so: undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::StdSynthModule::autoSuspend()'
/usr/kde/3.3/lib/libartskde.so: undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::StdSynthModule::start()'
/usr/kde/3.3/lib/libartskde.so: undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::SynthModule_stub::start()'
/usr/kde/3.3/lib/libartskde.so: undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::SynthModule_stub::streamStart()'
/usr/kde/3.3/lib/libartskde.so: undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::SynthModule_stub::stop()'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [artsbuilder] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdemultimedia-3.3.1/work/kdemultimedia-3.3.1/arts/builder'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdemultimedia-3.3.1/work/kdemultimedia-3.3.1/arts/builder'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdemultimedia-3.3.1/work/kdemultimedia-3.3.1/arts'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdemultimedia-3.3.1/work/kdemultimedia-3.3.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: kde-base/kdemultimedia-3.3.1 failed.
!!! Function kde_src_compile, Line 142, Exitcode 2
!!! died running emake, kde_src_compile:make
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

[/EDIT]

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
Mythos
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because a failure in gcc-config

Code:
emerge sync;emerge -uDav gcc-config

Linux dune 3.0.6-gentoo #1 SMP Thu Oct 27 16:47:29 WEST 2011 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I'll give that a try when I get back home.

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
thaldyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help so far! :)
I managed to compile kdemultimedia-3.3.1 after reemerging kdelibs and kdebase.
Unfortunately kcminit crashes (but without further impacts) everytime at startup. Could this be the fault of switching to gcc-3.4.3?
Hole
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thaldyron wrote:
Thanks for your help so far! :)
I managed to compile kdemultimedia-3.3.1 after reemerging kdelibs and kdebase.
Unfortunately kcminit crashes (but without further impacts) everytime at startup. Could this be the fault of switching to gcc-3.4.3?

When you upgrade compiler, next time, consider the usage of revdep fro m the gentoolkit. It will then recompile everything for you :)
thaldyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hole wrote:

When you upgrade compiler, next time, consider the usage of revdep fro m the gentoolkit. It will then recompile everything for you :)

I did use revdep-rebuild that didn't seem to help.
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tip about gcc-config did not work for me so I started an emerge -e kde. Maybe that will fix the problem. Only 250 packages to build, good thing I am on a dual processor box with 2GB of memory...

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
jarav
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matbecia wrote:
Thanks a lot danyer!
I spent quite a few evenings going through the forums doing everything people recommended for my problem, but nothing works. My case was a change from i386-linux-gnu to i686-linux-gnu, though, so i had to run
Code:
fix_libtool_files.sh `gcc -dumpversion` --oldarch i386-pc-linux-gnu

Just to make it easier for people in my case to find this thread: some search keywords
libstdc++.la not found
libtool cannot find libstdc++

Thanks Matbecia, Danyer. i had similar trouble and your suggestions helped.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: