/etc/hostname?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:52 am    Post subject: /etc/hostname? Reply with quote

Up until now I've had a domain from dns2go that I've put in /etc/hostname, but now that I don't...

What is the correct thing to put in /etc/hostname for a computer which has a dynamic IP and does NOT have a name?
reves
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dyndns; i put the domain name I registered with dyndns as the hostname. I don't think this is neccissary but it may cause problems if you are running a web server or ftp server if you put something different.
digital diesel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 4:51 am    Post subject: etc/hostname Reply with quote

hostname can be whatever you want it to be. It's like naming your computer in Windows, but it's not a WINS name. That's a good thing. If you have a dynamic IP address and you don't use a router or anything like that, it can be whatever you want it to be ie:
computername.networkname.domain

If you have a router and multiple computers on your own personal network, I would suggest that keep the same network name, but you keep a unique computer name.

Anyhow if you have any intentions on running a webserver then you *might* want to name your computer www.NETWORKNAME.DOMAIN, but thats a discussion for a whole other thread
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just named it what I call it on my LAN. That box is also on the internet with a dyndns *.homelinux.org domain, but I don't worry about that. Just name it whatever you do locally. If you don't run a LAN and this is your only box, then it's up to you. However I think it's more reliable to name boxes on your own naming scheme, and not after your domain names, which can change.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: