Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
New Fast, Light Portage Using Sqlite?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Portage be a single program using a light DB backend or many Bash and Python scripts using thousands of text files?
Yes
78%
 78%  [ 58 ]
No
21%
 21%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 74

Gavinv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: New Fast, Light Portage Using Sqlite? Reply with quote

I just found this .. looks really interesting, and I see lots of activity in the CVS source, with 5+ developers:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/portage-c/
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever does the job...
gwlinden
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current portage implementation seems to struggle with the large number of packages. It's getting to be annoyingly slow, especially over NFS, but also when using a local file system.

I'm all for a hashtable-like implementation, as long as there is a way to rebuild the hashtable, in case it gets corrupted. I would not favour a single all singing all dancing portage tool, but rather suggest a small set of simple core programs, and a number of scripts to build the full-fletched tools. Python would be my personal preference, also given the Gentoo heritage.
colonel_dolphin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Portage/Emerge Slowness .. Reply with quote

Need both:
1) exclude broad sets of things that will always be irrelevant (e.g. no X/Qt/KDE/Gnome stuff for a Gentoo server), and
2) "quick" emerge sync grabbing only fresh copies of the installed package ebuilds and their dependencies.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5857
spb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm in favour of what's being planned for portage-2.1 and eventually 3.0. ;) A clean API with a core set of modules, neatly seperated, and emerge being *just* a front-end.
Ruzbeh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those guys, instead of creating a seperate project, they should just help the portage developers! I mean we all want portage to be fast and everything.
castorilo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fast, Light Portage Using Sqlite? Reply with quote

The poll lacks options. I would like it to be a bunch of python scripts with a light DB back end.

It is my understanding portage-ng is headed that way.
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK there is already db backend support implemented in portage, although it is undocumented.
Pythonhead
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Database backend is already in portage:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=175461

portage-ng is dead.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmm, the question says "Should portage be A or B" and my options are "Yes" or "No". I went with "No" to indicate that whoever put the poll together has NO clue.
Naughtyus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, what is the poll asking? The answers don't make sense.
siti
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am the main developer of portage-c. If you want to check it out make sure you have sqlite2 & sqlite3 (I don't have optional dependices with automake - At the moment), Portage 2.0.51 (because I use the new cache), and glib 2. And grab the the latest from CVS - hopefullyl it compiles ;)

Already you can see how insanly fast c/sqlite is :D

Also if anyone wants to help out please send me a message/email.
MooktaKiNG
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be nice to have a website that shows the speed improvements for portage-c, and how to install the thing.

I just want to know how good it is before i start compiling :D
Trevoke
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should it be ... OR should it be ...

The test returns 1.
colonel_dolphin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Why an alternative to "official" portage? Reply with quote

Ruzbeh wrote:
Those guys, instead of creating a seperate project, they should just help the portage developers! I mean we all want portage to be fast and everything.

1. Portage-C has great traction with excellent results already.
2. Portage-ng appears to be dead leaving only the original portage and Portage-C options for Gentoo users.
3. Official portage team is "full" .. only soo many developers can fit in a box working on the same code 8O
4. Portage-c made different design decisions in some areas that may appeal differently to different people (after all Gentoo is about choice).
5. Official portage team's progress rate may differ from Portage-C team. One group might complete a useful, stable product sooner than the other.
6. Official portage team is unresponsive to significant security problems.
See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1594916#1594916 No replies to bug/security hole posted over 6 months ago.
7. When is competition amongst similar packages/tools a bad thing in Gentoo?
8. Unsupported "mods" like the unofficial SQL backend for portage do not interest me, since no one is actively maintaining/supporting/developing it. However, Portage-C is making great progress and offers some advantages that strongly appeal to me .. such as the organization, performance, and robustness of a supported SQL backend.

I'm not knocking the current portage team .. I believe they have created the "best in class" solution for any *nix distro, but I have concerns over when and whether the 2.x or 3.x versions will offer the features I would like.

Last edited by colonel_dolphin on Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
miqorz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for anything that doesn't use python so it isn't slow as fizuck.
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experiences with Python and C/C++, the speeds are generally the same. It is all the things that the python scripts must take into account that makes it take so long, and C/C++ binaries would inherit the same latency because they are still searching through all of those directories.

I am for taking the need for bash out and just using more standard scripting using the $SHELL variable. I personally do not like needing to keep bash on my system since I use Zsh and am a clean freak about my installation(never to the point of reinstalling it though).
miqorz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pwnz3r wrote:
In my experiences with Python and C/C++, the speeds are generally the same. It is all the things that the python scripts must take into account that makes it take so long, and C/C++ binaries would inherit the same latency because they are still searching through all of those directories.

I am for taking the need for bash out and just using more standard scripting using the $SHELL variable. I personally do not like needing to keep bash on my system since I use Zsh and am a clean freak about my installation(never to the point of reinstalling it though).

Try emerge -s sometime and then get back to me. :wink:
colonel_dolphin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also run "top" and watch how much memory is consumed ..
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miqorz wrote:
Try emerge -s sometime and then get back to me. :wink:

Oh, so you have a C/C++ binary to which we can compare this? You would make a terrible scientist, so please do not think of entering the field of science....
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you say the speeds are the same between c++ and python, show us your trials and tests that brought you to this conclusion. And I do believe this topic was about a portage database backend rather than python scripts so I'm not sure where the c++ came from.

Don't float your ideas as factual and then turn around and ask for proof from someone else, makes you look bad. ;)

There is a slowness to portage that doesn't seem to be necessary, a database makes sense and also only updating what has changed in the tree rather than the whole tree itself. Last I checked emerge sync was bringing in 95,000+ files each time. I've also noticed that sometimes it's slower than other times and it's behavior is different. Sometimes it's gets the 95,000 files and updates the cache while other times it has lots of output of doing things and talking back and forth to the server.

Anyway I'm all for something that is more efficient which should speed things up a little.
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'emerge -s' isn't slow because of python. It's slow for the same reason that 'find /' is slower than 'locate'.

If you want 'emerge -s' to go fast, emerge esearch. It builds a search index like locate, so searches are almost instantaneous.

And it's written in python.
colonel_dolphin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: the fix is almost worse than the problem .. Reply with quote

# time eupdatedb -v

real 4m24.486s
user 1m28.255s
sys 0m12.527s

If "emerge sync" required zero seconds, then using esearch/eupdatedb still requires 4+ minutes every time I sync.

Hmmm ... is this good coding practice?

eupdatedb, line 28:tmpfile = "/tmp/esearchdb.py.tmp"

Storing data as the root user in a well-known location that is potentially writable by ordinary users is usually frowned on ..

Last edited by colonel_dolphin on Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colonel_dolphin wrote:
# time eupdatedb -v

real 4m24.486s
user 1m28.255s
sys 0m12.527s

If "emerge sync" required zero seconds, then ..

I'm not sure what you're saying there...

colonel_dolphin wrote:
Hmmm ... is this good coding practice?

eupdatedb, line 28:tmpfile = "/tmp/esearchdb.py.tmp"

Probably not. I have eupdatedb running in cron, and when my computer crashes (which it does, since I'm crazy and run experimental stuff, and my tv card seldom plays nice) it has a tendency to leave that file around, which causes eupdatedb to never run subsequently until I notice and delete the file.

It needs some sort of global lock file, though, I guess. It should probably be replaced with a pid file (so you can check if a process is actually running) on the locking end. Feel free to contact the maintainer. :)

My point was, python isn't the slow part. Someone in the MySQL thread said that "emerge -s x" took 30 seconds where with this it takes about 3, all printing, and "esearch -S x" (which should be harder) also starts printing immediately, and takes about 5 seconds, all printing. Python isn't the bottleneck, it's the disk I/O that really kills you, and that'll be true whether you use C or Python (using a database is another story).

Edit: Oh, one question. The bash scripts in Portage are necessary to know what commands are needed to install the package, so you can't get rid of them, can you? cportage just replaces the portage cache (for searching and dependency lookup), right? You still need the whole /usr/portage/ structure with all the thousands of files, correct, or have they incorporated that into the database somehow as well?
plbe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of portage but as others have said its getting very slow with the large amount of packages. I used freebsd for 3 years and found ports to be very fast, an emerge -uD world takes some time while a portupgrade -a is instant yeah a know portupgrade isn't _part_ of ports but even installing a regular application is instant no waiting for calculating dependencies or nothing. Devs should really look at this and maybe rewrite portage in a different language or something since python isn't known for being all that speedy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: