couple of quickies
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosine_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: couple of quickies Reply with quote

two quick questions.

#1: i installed gentoo about 2 months ago, but never really understood the cdrom part. I have two cdroms in the box but only one shows up in kde. im assuming its just adding it to fstab, that correct?

#2: i picked up 4 200gb hds recently (found a good deal) so ive stuck em in there with a Promise Ultra133 Tx2 card. at the moment, i have everything installed and the drives all hooked up. im running on 2.4 kernel (was tipped off that promise cards dont work with 2.6.x) and added pdc202xx_new to the modules to load (taken from https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=206911&highlight=promise+raid) i THINK the drives are showing up correctly, in kde under /dev/ i have hda-k (hda is my boot/root/swap e/f are the cdroms and the last 4 are the drives attached to the promise card. im guessing thats them, since the location is /ide/host4/bus0/.... blah blah) hda1-3 (boot/root/swap). my question is this. I know somewhere i have to setup the raid, how do i do that? would it be done with fdisk? i found some info at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=68706&highlight=promise+raid but wasnt sure if thats what it was im looking to do. basically i want to raid the drives into two pairs (400gb for each raid). im assuming thatd be raid0, but since this is my first experience with raid im not positive.

thanx for any help.
Lajasha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: couple of quickies Reply with quote

cosine_ wrote:
two quick questions.

#1: i installed gentoo about 2 months ago, but never really understood the cdrom part. I have two cdroms in the box but only one shows up in kde. im assuming its just adding it to fstab, that correct?

Yea it may just need to be added to fstab that way KDE knows it is there not sure though.

cosine_ wrote:
#2: i picked up 4 200gb hds recently (found a good deal) so ive stuck em in there with a Promise Ultra133 Tx2 card. at the moment, i have everything installed and the drives all hooked up. im running on 2.4 kernel (was tipped off that promise cards dont work with 2.6.x) and added pdc202xx_new to the modules to load (taken from https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=206911&highlight=promise+raid) i THINK the drives are showing up correctly, in kde under /dev/ i have hda-k (hda is my boot/root/swap e/f are the cdroms and the last 4 are the drives attached to the promise card. im guessing thats them, since the location is /ide/host4/bus0/.... blah blah) hda1-3 (boot/root/swap). my question is this. I know somewhere i have to setup the raid, how do i do that? would it be done with fdisk? i found some info at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=68706&highlight=promise+raid but wasnt sure if thats what it was im looking to do. basically i want to raid the drives into two pairs (400gb for each raid). im assuming thatd be raid0, but since this is my first experience with raid im not positive.

thanx for any help.

This really depends, are you looking to do a hardware or software raid? If hardware then you will simply need to get the card to be recognized by the kernel and make sure that you can see the drive. If software then try this https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=8813&highlight=raid.

cosine_ wrote:
basically i want to raid the drives into two pairs (400gb for each raid). im assuming thatd be raid0, but since this is my first experience with raid im not positive.

Sounds like you will need Raid 0+1
cosine_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

software raid*
Lajasha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe the kernel will do a Raid 0+1, if i recall correctly it will do 0,1,4/5. If you want to go with raid 0+1 or 5 I would suggest trying your controller card are picking up one that does it, as you will probly spend alot of CPU time on raid5
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
cosine_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in case it helps. booting from the livecd and typing "fdisk -l" shows me that all the drives are there and properly identified. just that they arent formated to anything.
ewan.paton
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you really want a software raid then you can stripe data over 4 disks and mirror 2, its a lot more flexable and you just need to setup the partitions right, i mean do you really need to waste 200gigs mirroring your data and ide hardware raids just pass the load to the processor in most cases anyway
cosine_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmkay. so ive learned some more and am back.

i kno i need software raid0. the big quesiton for me now is, is it worth it to do it if the two drives id be raiding would be on the same ide channel as master and slave? how much of a performance hit is that?
cosine_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

found out the performance is pretty bad. so im just gonna format em reguarly.

thanx for the help ppl who responded.
Lajasha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea a Stripe will show the best stats when each HD in it is on its own channel, kinda pointless other wise.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: