Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[mini-HowTo] Gentoo Linux LiveCD for Dummies!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19, 20, 21  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalid account
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pi-cubiq,

are you using x windows? is there an error message?

Neil
pi-cubic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, i am not using X windows, just starting it remote from the command line after emerging qemu... with extra useflag "softmmu"
x-cnc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My $.02, which may or may not help out people having trouble:

- Untarring the stage tarball while not root will give you a lot of errors about not being able to make nodes, and then the livecd will not work. You will get errors about the console and then a kernel panic.
- You can put an entry into the grub.conf
Code:
title=Troubleshooting
   root (cd)
   kernel (cd)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 rw init=/bin/sh
   initrd (cd)/boot/initrd

so you don't have pounce on the 'e' key and then delete and retype.
- It might be good to put the passwd step in the howto. I believe someone above mentioned this also.
- If you chmod a-x /sbin/depmod. you can disable module dependency checking. However, you'll still get an error message when booting. You can also change /etc/init.d/modules as in the Flying with Gentoo thread.
- If your cdrom is always not found you can change this line in linuxrc:
Code:

for x in hda hdb hdc hdd

to:
Code:

for x in hda hdb hdc hdd cdroms/cdrom0 cdroms/cdrom1

Thanks to everyone participating in this thread. I was trying to get this to work for a long time before I found this.
Alogon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright I think i did everything right, i made sure to unmount my proc and distfiles, and i added -e usr/portage usr/src to the build script so i dont get those in my image, but i am still getting a 900+ mb iso file, all i have emerged were xorg, xfce, gaim, firefox, and the 3 knoppix scripts, whats going on here?
frenkel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you clean out /tmp /var/tmp and /usr/tmp?

Frank
Alogon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That build script does that fore you :-\
invalid account
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alogon,

Have you checked that all directories have been unmounted in the the new livecd image. This is often the problem for me when the ISO's come out too big.
Alogon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to start over and i am keeping a close eye on how big the file system gets. I was wondering how much stuff can you get to compress down to under 700mb, I know the way knoppix is done its around 3.5gb I know it depends on what you are compressing, but i was just wanting to see what people were averaging. Also I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to get this qemu thing to work. I do emerge qemu and the only binarys i get are qemu-arm qemu-i386 qemu-img qemu-ppc and qemu-sparc and they don't seem to take the same flags as the qemu command does.
Thanks,
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alogon,

Add "softmmu' to your USE flags and re-emerge qemu to get that thing to install properly. As for the size thing, I dunno. Just make sure you are not picking up the distfiles symbolic link from portage (you did make that a symbolic link didn't you?). I've got 2 fairly basic, very specialized, iso set up for 2 boxen, and they are both about 140 mb compressed. I don't have X or anything really big like that, but you would have to have a lot of stuff to max out a livecd. Capture the output of the script when you run it and go over everything to see if any 'big' things show up is all I can recommend.

Richard
Alogon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i got my cd and it is only 232mb with Xorg xfce4 firefox xchat hotplug coldplug distcc and more :-) but, now when i try to boot it i get...
Code:
Kernel Panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init=option to kernel

when i try to change init= to /bin/sh i get
put into my mini linux (initrd) and i am having trouble getting anything going with out stuff like ls :-P

I got qemu to emerge properly but now when i try the...
Code:
# qemu -cdrom ~/livecd.iso -boot d

I get an error about svgalib_helper in the kernel, my kernel is gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.10-r6 and i couldnt find this option in makemenu config and i searched .config for svgalib and found nothing also, where can i get the kernel patch i need for this or what do i need to do to get this working

Thanks, Alogon

Edit:

ok when i do the linuxrc script by hand everything works perfectly untill i get to the pivot_root part, filename completion works for this file... but when i do
Code:
# pviot_root . newroot

i get
Code:
pviot_root: No such file or directory

any hints?

Thanks, Alogon

Edit:

Son of a, son of a...

had i followed instructions where it says to
Code:
mkdir newroot

i could have saved my self alot of trouble.. o well guess it gets mounted on /home instead of new root for now... no one is using home anyways :-)

and the best gentoo live cd is born :twisted:

Thanks, Alogon

Edit:

After i got qemu to emerge correctly (adding softmmu to my USE flags in make.conf) I found that i needed to emerge svgalibs because they contain the svgalibs_helper (module?) after that everything has been going good

Last edited by Alogon on Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alogon,

Glad to see things seem to be working for ya! Yeah, I made that mistake myself too. As far as qemu goes, use the command that is indicated in Neils' script. Instead of the '-boot d' that you are using just use '-boot c' like it says. Works perfect for me (it is slow, but it works).

Best Luck!

Richard
aminal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stahlsau wrote:
Hi,
first of all: thanks for the howto, i know it´s been a lot of work.

second: mmh...it doesn´t work for me :-(
when booting off the iso, it says
Code:
Uncompressing Linux..Ok, booting the kernel.
Blink Blink Blink...

and then there was silence.

I recompiled the kernel, checking all option and removing unnecassary ones, tried /bin/sh instead of linuxrc, edited the grub-boot-lines in all possible ways, no go.
Anyone an idea?

I get the same exact thing. Anyone have any ideas??
pi-cubic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumb question: is it possible to exclude /usr/lib/portabe? because it has 168 MB which is a lot on the livecd...

i'ld also like to exclude /usr/lib/python2.3 which as arout 60 MB. is it possible that excluding these directories destroy your livecd?

one thing i didn't mention yet:
thank you very much for this great howto! i really appriciate it!
aminal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also - has anyone else noticed an error in the build script? I get a tar error - saying

Code:

spool/cron/
spool/cron/.keep
spool/cron/lastrun/
spool/cron/lastrun/.keep
spool/cron/crontabs/
spool/cron/crontabs/.keep
spool/mail/
spool/mail/.keep
state/
state/.keep
tmp/
tmp/.keep
.keep
tar: *: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
.bash_history
.keep
.mozilla/
.ssh/
.ssh/known_hosts
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

It looks to me like it's trying to tar a "*" file - which doesn't make much sense. Is this an err with the build script? Should I even worry about it?

Thanks!
pi-cubic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aminal wrote:

It looks to me like it's trying to tar a "*" file - which doesn't make much sense. Is this an err with the build script? Should I even worry about it?
Thanks!

don't worry about it. it's just fine. browse this thread for detailed information about it. this question is already answered :)
aminal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pi-cubiq wrote:
aminal wrote:

Thanks!

don't worry about it. it's just fine. browse this thread for detailed information about it. this question is already answered :)

Whoops - musta missed it. I swear I've been through this thread about 1000 times by now! :)

Thanks!
aminal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: damn. Reply with quote

Well, maybe a livecd just isn't in my future. I've gone over the how-to countless times, checked, re-checked and checked the kernel again, and I can't figure out what the problem is.

http://2riyal.com/qemu.png

Code:
qemu -cdrom livecd.iso -boot c

Everything looks good, until it tries to boot....Then it just sits there.
Anyone have any ideas? :(

Thanks...
Alogon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is going to sound simple but the problem could be in your qemu line.
You have...
Code:

in the man page for qemu it says
Quote:
-boot [a|c|d]
Boot on floppy (a), hard disk (c), or CD-ROM (d). Hard disk boot is the default

So try
Code:
 qemu -cdrom livecd.iso -boot d

since you want it to emulate booting from a CD not the hard disk, or try burning it to a cd and running it, since qemu is so slow

Note: this is all i can think of if you are sure that your kernel is ok
TheRepublican
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I would just like to say great howto! I've been looking for months on decent documentation on how to remaster knoppix, but as a gentooer I rather like the idea of building a livecd from bottom up. Thanks veezi!

Anyway, I've been going over the whole thread looking for various tips to try and get my livecd working right, but I think I might have one to add. Those of you installing xorg on your system can enjoy a dynamically-created xorg.conf too! Simply emerge mkxf86config as the docs say, it appears as if gentoo has tweaked the script to create a xorg.conf file by default, instead of a xfree86.conf file like the name would have you believe. For hardware autodetection on my cd, I'm using hotplug, coldplug, udev, hwdata-knoppix, hwsetup, kudzu-knoppix, ddcxinfo-knoppix, and livecd-tools. To set this up, use:

Code:
emerge -a hotplug coldplug dev hwdata-knoppix hwsetup kudzu-knoppix ddcxinfo-knoppix mkxf86config livecd-tools
rc-update add autoconfig default
rc-update add coldplug default
rc-update add mkxf86config default
rc-update add x-setup default

I haven't had a chance to test this yet, as the cd is still building, but from the docs it seems sound. I will let you know the results. I might also add more packages such as hal and gnome-volume-manager for even better hardware support.

//EDIT: removed genkernel, did not create a modular kernel as expected, used make allmodconfig&&make menuconfig to configure the kernel and then worked backwords, disabling or compiling in support as needed

Last edited by TheRepublican on Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total
aminal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alogon wrote:
I know this is going to sound simple but the problem could be in your qemu line.
You have...
Code:

in the man page for qemu it says
Quote:
-boot [a|c|d]
Boot on floppy (a), hard disk (c), or CD-ROM (d). Hard disk boot is the default

So try
Code:
 qemu -cdrom livecd.iso -boot d

since you want it to emulate booting from a CD not the hard disk, or try burning it to a cd and running it, since qemu is so slow

Note: this is all i can think of if you are sure that your kernel is ok

Thanks for the reply. I tried using -d first, with the same results. There was a very long script posted earlier in the thread, to automate the whole process - in this script, the -c option was used. I'm not that familiar with qemu, so I assumed that the -c switch was needed since it wasn't *really* running from a cd.

Anyway, still stuck.

Thanks again.
Alogon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also going to start off and say thank you to veezi for the awesome how-to. Like TheRepublican i had been trying to sort out what people were saying about remastering knoppix and when i stumbled upon this.

TheRepublican:
Your setup sounds good on paper but I tryed many similar configurations and had no luck (none that looked as sound as yours) I had been thinking about writing my own script to set up everything for Radeon cards(w/hardware accel) and making everything else use vesa Anyways please let me know if that works out well because I would much rather just modify those configs for the case of my Radeon cards than to set up my own that runs my stuff great but might not do anything for other hardware configs.

Also wanted to let you know when I read the gentoo handbook about genkernel (never used it till now) it gave me the impression that genkernel pretty much compiled all the drivers I would ever need as modules. This was not the case, I had to go back and make the module for my network card on my own. So I don't know if i found an exception or if what genkernel really does is just make a kernel with the modules that you currently have running (if i am making any since)

Alogon
Alogon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

animal: I would look at the kernel then, try using genkernel it seemed to work well for me. Other than that I don't know what else to tell you. :(
aminal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alogon wrote:
animal: I would look at the kernel then, try using genkernel it seemed to work well for me. Other than that I don't know what else to tell you. :(

Well, it must have been an issue with qemu, because I burned the cd and it booted fine. I got many of the same errors that I've seen in this thread, but long story short - it worked :)

Success! :)

Thanks again.
Scen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boot process of my livecd stops with this error:

Code:

SQUASHFS error: Major/Minor mismatch, filesystem is (2:1), I support (1 : x) or (2 : <=0)
[...]

Any idea?:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Thanks!
aminal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veezi wrote:
Did anyone figure out how to keep the cd spinning to make it more responsive?

Thanks,

Try emerging "livecd-tools." It comes with (among others), "spind" - I'm not very good at bash scripting, but after reading the script, I'm pretty sure this is what it does.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 9 of 21

Jump to: