Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TanNewt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltago wrote:
Perhaps there should be a gentoo handbook chapter on optimization, what it can and especially what it cannot do, along with an explanation of some of the less obscure CFLAGS.
I like that idea. I'd like to optimize my machine somewhat, not to death though, but I have no place to start. A section in the handbook would be awesome.
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HydroSan wrote:
Posting new breakthroughs about science (alterating the state of a single electron, SpaceShipOne, etc.) is nothing like flamebaiting an entire community.

I contend that flamebait is the name of the game even on the front page. As an example, have a look at my own story submission on Debian declaring the GNU Free Documentation License to be Non-Free. It was posted complete with my flamebait statement right at the end of my "unbiased" (lol! :-D) summary of the issue, deriding the opposing (Free Software Foundation's) view as being "insane".
woolsherpahat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miqorz wrote:
Haha, That site fucking owns.

Mostly because it's true. :wink:

If you can't laugh at yourself, Never laugh at another distro joke. EVER.

Damn Straight! 100% Agreed.

Funroll-loops is pretty funny, specially since a lot of Gentoo user's fit their description. What do they say, "Contrictions don't exist, check both of your premises carefully.", I think it's the time the Gentoo community started checking it's premises very carefully.

Also, thought I'd mention that distro wars are useless, Linux is Linux is Linux and *BSD is way better. :D
allucid
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn. some people don't know how to take a joke.
HydroSan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allucid wrote:
damn. some people don't know how to take a joke.

It's no so much as taking a joke as seeing a news site participating in the long-running distro wars.

If it were an article bashing RedHat, Mandrake, SuSE, or hell, even Debian, my reaction would be the same. It isn't ethical to put such things on a 'news' site, in my opinion.

And by the way, no, I dont laugh at distro jokes, because many of them aren't told jokingly, and I think most of it's very petty, considering the amount of work that goes into each of them.

Server status: Currently down, being replaced with fresh install - 20% completed.
miqorz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's funny as hell because gentoo users like to puff out their chests thinking their special because they boot strapped their system with ONE command.

Installing and using gentoo doesn't make you special.

It's one of the easiest to use distros yet one of ones people like feel the most special about using.

And despite such easy to install and use distro people won't stop trying to act special and demanding it be made easier.

-THATs- Why it's funny, Because it's true.
soda_popstar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Funroll-Loops.org posted on Slashdot. Reply with quote

HydroSan wrote:
Even if I weren't a Gentoo user, which I am, flaming an entire community like this blatantly on a widely viewed website is NOT good form, nor is trying to make the site appear funny in any sort of way 'witty'.

I hate when people think it's funny to put an entire community down, especially when I'm apart of it.

While I agree that flaming is bad, I think that the Linux community should also stop flaming Windows too. Then, maybe we'll gain some credibility. After all, it's just an operating system. Sheesh.
miqorz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stop flaming Windows when Windows users top flaming OSX.

How about that? Haha.
Nermal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miqorz wrote:
I'll stop flaming Windows when Windows users top flaming OSX.

How about that? Haha.

:roll:
HydroSan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miqorz wrote:
I think it's funny as hell because gentoo users like to puff out their chests thinking their special because they boot strapped their system with ONE command.

Installing and using gentoo doesn't make you special.

It's one of the easiest to use distros yet one of ones people like feel the most special about using.

And despite such easy to install and use distro people won't stop trying to act special and demanding it be made easier.

-THATs- Why it's funny, Because it's true.

It's a small part of the community from what I've seen, but there is elitism in every community, albeit Linux (RedHat, Debian, Gentoo, etc.), Mac, or Windows. There are zealots everywhere.

I never said installing Gentoo made me special. I use Gentoo because it has been the easiest to maintain, use, and have fun screwing around with. USE flags are exceptionally powerful for me. I could care less for ZOMG OPTIMIZLATIONZZZZlolzomg.

And quite honestly... I haven't seen one instance on these forums where a user has gone 'I USE GENTOO BECAUSE I GET 20ms BETTER LOADING TIMES BY DOING WEIRD SHIT I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT', aside from what is on Funroll-Loops. We have around 72000 users on this forum alone - saying that 'Gentoo's really ARE ricers' because ten of them decide to go 'VROOM VROOM' at everyone isn't exactly an astounding number.

And when I first saw Funroll-Loops, I laughed at it a bit. But as soon as it was posted on Slashdot, a site which prides itself on being the main source of news for IT and Science, it became unfunny, and made me scoff at Slashdot. You see this kind of thing all the time in mainstream media, with stereotypes going towards communities and over-generalization of people and groups.

What about Windows, you ask? Well, Windows is not a bad operating system, all things considered. If you harden it to a spectacular degree, it can actually be quite stable. However, Microsoft is a bloodsucking corporation which I've seen too many times before - leeching off of its userbase because they're too ignorant and uneducated about the subject.

Server status: Currently down, being replaced with fresh install - 20% completed.
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the bright side. Maybe the thousands of anti-Gentoo zealots that feel compelled to post in every story of Slashdot will get all their hooting and hollering done in that story, and then I won't have to read through, "Har har, Gentoo users compile stuff" jokes and complaints that are modded up to +5 all the time.

And if that works, they can have a front page story about underpants gnomes so that people will stop making the same lame "1, 2, ... 3" jokes all the time.

The fact that Gentoo has idiots and assholes as a portion of its users isn't really unique. Anyone with some time could go into any large set of forums and create a similar page. I just wish the Slashdot commedians would get some fresh material, but I'm probably not in luck.
Unne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who brag about their OS because of a 0.1% speed increase are lame. People who make websites about people who brag about their OS's speed are lame. Unfortunately I think that people who post in threads on a message board to talk about articles about people who make websites about people who brag about OS speeds may be the lamest of all. That now officially includes myself of course. We're all a big bunch of geeks. Just try to enjoy it. :wink: People who hate my Linux distro of choice are still more akin to me than 99.9% of the people in the world who have no idea what an operating system even is. I found the site in question to be fairly amusing, though not the funniest thing in the world. It's not a big deal, I think.
Athas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's a small part of the community from what I've seen, but there is elitism in every community, albeit Linux (RedHat, Debian, Gentoo, etc.), Mac, or Windows. There are zealots everywhere.

Sure, but this isn't elitism, it's stupidity. And that's what makes it so funny. We laugh at other people and makes fun of them, is that something new?

Quote:
And when I first saw Funroll-Loops, I laughed at it a bit. But as soon as it was posted on Slashdot, a site which prides itself on being the main source of news for IT and Science, it became unfunny, and made me scoff at Slashdot.

8O

Okay people, Slashdot is ENTERTAINMENT, stop acting like the BBC just started showing nazi sympathies. Zealot-news are often on the frontpage, usually they just make fun of Windows.
Farkenell
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To summarize the heart of Gentoo, imagine a user sitting in front of a Linux system. What does he or she want to do? The Gentoo philosophy is to allow this user to do what he or she wants to do, without getting in the way.

Who are we to question what people do with their gentoo?
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolio wrote:
Look on the bright side. Maybe the thousands of anti-Gentoo zealots that feel compelled to post in every story of Slashdot will get all their hooting and hollering done in that story, and then I won't have to read through, "Har har, Gentoo users compile stuff" jokes and complaints that are modded up to +5 all the time.
I read the comments on slashdot from time to time and I more often see someone bragging about how easy/nice gentoo is, than ppl making fun off it.
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er... I think I speak for... erm... just me when I say I don't give a fuctootle.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
Wolven
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
Er... I think I speak for... erm... just me when I say I don't give a fuctootle.

Nah. You speak for me too. :wink:
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
fuctootle.

I think you speak for me too, but I'm not sure what a fuctootle is :)
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackEdder wrote:
I read the comments on slashdot from time to time and I more often see someone bragging about how easy/nice gentoo is, than ppl making fun off it.

I don't know. Most of the pro Gentoo comments I see are in response to something like, "Installing software on Linux is a mess." Then people point out that for many distros, there are package managers that make things even easier than on Windows, and Gentoo is usually among them. There are also a few where people refer to it in passing, such as telling people to "emerge X" rather than "install X," but there are plenty of "apt-get install X" posts as well.

The only time I see stuff like, "Gentoo RULZ" or "Hah hah, Gentoo is better than <X>" is when I look at all the -1 comments, because after all, that's where they belong. But I can find plenty of -1 "Debian RULZ" or "<X> is better than <Y>" posts as well. I almost never see "My CFLAGS 0wn j00!" posts on Slashdot.

On the other hand, any joke about "Mozilla takes long to compile, so Gentoo users are idiots" or complaint about "I'm tired of not being able to browse at -1 without seeing pro-Gentoo posts" is moderated up to +4 or +5, so they're much harder to avoid.

In fact, the only major offender for pro-Gentoo posts I've seen is that story, but arguably it's a beacon for all sorts of insecure people to come justify themselves, so whoever reads it asked for what they're getting. The way some people talk, it's that bad on every Linux-related thread, but I don't see it.

Maybe it's because I browse at a threshold of 3. I don't know what most people do, but what I end up seeing is a bunch of score 4 and 5 posts complaining about posts that typically have scores of 1, 0 or -1. They're easy to avoid. I'd be similarly disappointed if there were score 5 posts saying, "I'm tired of all the GNAA trolls on slashdot," in every thread.

But I guess that's just Slashdot. Most +5 insightful/interesting stuff is groupthink, and most +5 funny posts are recycled jokes that were barely funny in the first place. I should really stop reading it, but once in a while I find a nugget of goodness that keeps me putting up with all the bullshit.

Apologies for the long diatribe.

BlackEdder wrote:
I think you speak for me too, but I'm not sure what a fuctootle is

Is it anything like a butt-for?
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the Holy Mary is a fuctootle?

a: I didn't feel like swearing so I made it up.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: