View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HydroSan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Funroll-Loops.org posted on Slashdot. Reply with quote

http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/04/10/31/0011233.shtml?tid=133&tid=106

I believe I speak for everyone here when I say: Who in the fuck allowed this to be shown? Even if I weren't a Gentoo user, which I am, flaming an entire community like this blatantly on a widely viewed website is NOT good form, nor is trying to make the site appear funny in any sort of way 'witty'.

I think it's a real smack in the face to the Gentoo community and developers who have spent so much time working on such a great distribution and software management system. I can't speak for the developers at all, but I can imagine what it would probably feel like.

P.S: No, I'm not over-reacting. I hate when people think it's funny to put an entire community down, especially when I'm apart of it.

Server status: Currently down, being replaced with fresh install - 20% completed.
Twiggy794
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think when ya look at it for the joke that it is it's really pretty funny. Seems more like a direct attack from the Debian community than anything.
Athas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) That site is not representative of the Debian community, nor does it have anything to do with the Debian project in any way.
2) It's not aimed at Gentoo, it's aimed at some of the less clueful users that believe that if they use as many CFLAGS as possible their system will be faster (which is not true, it might become slower). The equivalent of "ricers" - every distribution has them (Fedora Core has a lot of script kiddies that believe they are oh-so-leet because they run GNU/Linux).
3) The site is really funny if you stop considering it a personal attack. :D

I'm sure that if someone created a site called www.apt-get-install-kde-2.org containing various arrogant quotes from Debian users, you'd all laugh your ass off. :)
der bastler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Like the annoying teenager next door with a 90hp import sporting a 6 foot tall bolt-on wing, Gentoo users are proof that society is best served by roving gangs of armed vigilantes, dishing out swift, cold justice with baseball bats to those fucking ricer bastards.

Funny? Sounds like a threat. It's presented as a personal attack against me, for I am a Gentoo user. No, I don't care about compiler flags and their 1% speed advantage, I simply use Gentoo because it's simple to use --it was the first distro that worked flawlessly with my ASUS notebook!

With such senseless distro dissin', Linux will never succeed.

"What, Leenux? Is that this software with this flame war kiddies?"

Poor move of slashdot to "promote" it. "News for nerds, stuff that matters"? Not really... "News by chumps, stuff that sucks"

bwt: Isn't this an old story? Why revive it? Another hint slashdot is going down the drain...?

ps: No, and I won't laugh about Debian users provided there would be a similar page. Why should I? Does the Linux community consist of that many antisocial dumbasses with personal problems so they have to make square-headed "fun" of each other? *shakeshead* I hope not...
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

der bastler wrote:
Sounds like a threat.

ROFLMAO. Sure. Take care when you go out tonight. After all, one never knows when a group of armed vigilantes might be lurking in the shadows waiting to do you over for your choice of linux distribution! :-D
der bastler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syntaxis wrote:
der bastler wrote:
Sounds like a threat.

ROFLMAO. Sure. Take care when you go out tonight. After all, one never knows when a group of armed vigilantes might be lurking in the shadows waiting to do you over for your choice of linux distribution! :-D

Be paranoid and you'll never feel lonely... ;)

No, seriously, that funroll-loop is not funny at all --onyl plain silly.
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thatsite speaks the truth !
miscz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a good time reading this site. So many true things, hehe.
foxdeman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to know the slashdot community is above stereotypes and peaty squabbling.
Corky
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually found some of it quite funny, I dont think we should be so precious.
Nermal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it more amusing someone took the time and money to a) register a domain and host it (hopefully the slashdotting will help him go over his bandwidth limit :)) and b) design and make a site for it.

Its just about 25 - 30 misinformed gentoo users / n00bs.. Not bad for a distro with many thousands of users.

Last edited by Nermal on Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Dealy Lama
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corky wrote:
I actually found some of it quite funny, I dont think we should be so precious.

Nah, I wouldn't go as far as calling it funny; not in the sense of it being good ole clean fun. As another /. poster mentioned, the "fun" factor in the article is just another derivative of "hip" derogatory and debasing drivel labeled as comedy these days. If you actually study the site, most of the content was made for one thing, and one thing only: to troll where no troll has gone before! Not only is it useless as comedy, it has no place on the front page of a highly popular website. This shit creates memes, and as the quote goes: "Words are weapons". 'Nuff said.
"The shadows of this world are perceived by mortals, and they think they know the Truth, but the Reality which casts the shadows is hidden from them, and they do not perceive the Light." (Sayings 2:2)"
Helper_Monkey
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, boo-hoo. If you can't laugh at yourself, you need to step back and get some perspective.
choco
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[sarcasm] As everyone knows, one of the surest ways to identify yourself as not being clueless is to join in mocking the clueless. [/sarcasm]

Although it does repeat the valid point that since a lot of programs are I/O-bound rather than CPU-bound, there is a point of diminishing returns (as well as the possiblity of making your system unstable) in tweaking optimizations.
Roguelazer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foxdeman wrote:
I'm glad to know the slashdot community is above stereotypes and peaty squabbling.

You funny.
Registered Linux User #263260
Seabeast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite funny, but not that funny, because it really represents how some people "deal" with Gentoo. Exactly that way.
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seabeast wrote:
It's quite funny, but not that funny, because it really represents how some people "deal" with Gentoo. Exactly that way.

Sad but true. Perhaps there should be a gentoo handbook chapter on optimization, what it can and especially what it cannot do, along with an explanation of some of the less obscure CFLAGS.
Darl McBride
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

bwt: Isn't this an old story? Why revive it? Another hint slashdot is going down the drain...?

You must be joking. Slashdot is still the most popular OSS/Tech site around, period.

I think funroll-loops.org points out what gentoo users should strive not to be. There are MANY Gentoo users who treat their OS like a teenage suburban kid treats his Honda Civic. Kids like that make Linux users as a whole look bad.

I'm pretty sure funroll-loops.org is doing both Gentoo and the whole OSS community a favor by pointing these morons aout and laughing at them.

Slashdot is always mean to me though. ;_;
thegreatape
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh, boo-hoo. If you can't laugh at yourself, you need to step back and get some perspective.

About right. Any distro with a large usebase will have some clueless people using it; that's simple math of the human race. Nothing wrong with poking fun at a few of 'em. I use Gentoo because portage is a wonderful tool, and because of the wonderful community.
perseguidor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's time to get over it.

I've seen gentoo users being obnoxious in public forums a couple times. It made me want to slap them, but then again I'm not a violent type of person. Publishing this site is more like it, and I think its damage to our community is actually trivial compared to the one caused by the individuals that are the subject of the site in the first place.

Of course, I agree in that education would be way better than plain old mocking.

EDIT: I don't consider myself a veteran in the 'way of gentoo' in any way whatsoever. I think this isn't about gentoo as much as it is about general misinformation.

Last edited by perseguidor on Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
miqorz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, That site fucking owns.

Mostly because it's true. :wink:

If you can't laugh at yourself, Never laugh at another distro joke. EVER.
HydroSan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason I posted this here is because while the site does have some merit, posting that to a widely accepting site which displays 'the truth' is almost like slander. If you were an IT professional, looking at Slashdot, and you saw that article, you would automatically think "Feh, Gentoo is for stupid kiddies. Why should I bother?"

You see it all the time in North American culture where if some place of Importance makes an announcement, people will believe it whether it is real or not.

And even if that wont happen, whats the point of this? Slashdot has always been pedantic about what it posts, and only major, groundbreaking stuff is posted, newspaper-style. Would you see something like the New York Times Have something on the front page like "We believe that this entire community is full of dumbasses, and you should too"?

I may be over-reacting, but as I said, even if I weren't a Gentoo user, stuff like this pisses me off. I hate when stereotypes are made around a large userbase or community, in which no one in power stands up to defend them.

Server status: Currently down, being replaced with fresh install - 20% completed.
Helper_Monkey
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And even if that wont happen, whats the point of this? Slashdot has always been pedantic about what it posts, and only major, groundbreaking stuff is posted, newspaper-style. Would you see something like the New York Times Have something on the front page like "We believe that this entire community is full of dumbasses, and you should too"?

It's Sunday, nothing interesting is happening. It's called a slow news day.
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HydroSan wrote:
a widely accepting site which displays 'the truth'

And this is how you perceive Slashdot, is it? :-D I guess what you're experiencing must be rather analogous to the heartbreak toddlers feel when they first learn Father Christmas isn't real.

Quote:
Slashdot has always been pedantic about what it posts, and only major, groundbreaking stuff is posted, newspaper-style.

Once again you appear to be describing a Slashdot from the realms of fantasy... Sorry, the dream is over. Time to wake up and live in the real world with the rest of us.
HydroSan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syntaxis wrote:

Quote:
Slashdot has always been pedantic about what it posts, and only major, groundbreaking stuff is posted, newspaper-style.

Once again you appear to be describing a Slashdot from the realms of fantasy... Sorry, the dream is over. Time to wake up and live in the real world with the rest of us.

Posting new breakthroughs about science (alterating the state of a single electron, SpaceShipOne, etc.) is nothing like flamebaiting an entire community.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: