View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanDan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to see good drivers for ATI cards under Linux, forget ATI's sorry excuses and join up with the DRI team.

They have recently reversed-engineered Hyper-Z support for the R100, and someone else ported that to the R200. Vladimir ( forgot his last name, but those following DRI development will know who I'm talking about ) has reversed-engineered enough to get basic 3D support for the R300. Honestly, these guys are the future for ATI drivers - not ATI.

If you just want to play games and not have to write your own drivers, then buy an nVidia. ATI owners have bee duped.
Fitzsimmons
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think in marketspeak. Adding a couple of developers is 'restructuring the team'. Or at least that's what it needs to say for PHB to sign off on it.
herbo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATI moved the whole linux development from Germany to Canada last year, so I guess that would be a restructuring,

Alexander Stohr was the main man and he does not work for ATI anymore, ATI's linux drivers have basically done nothing new for about a year now.. (3.2.8 was probably the last decent drivers).

I really hope the r300 dri works eventually, but I still reckon that without ATI's help they can't go too far. I would say the r300+ series are more complex than the r100 & r200 series..

One can only hope with the abuse ATI's cops for its Linux drivers (I can't think of anyone who has a nice thing say to about their Linux drivers) and Nvidia efforts making ATI look pretty darn stupid, they do whatever is need to get the drivers up to par, whether it be pulling of fingers out, assigning of more resources or whatever... it just needs to be done.
R!tman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanDan wrote:
If you want to see good drivers for ATI cards under Linux, forget ATI's sorry excuses and join up with the DRI team.

I think you are correct about this one. And with these drivers being open source, there lies a much greater potential in them.

BUT one also has to see that these open source drivers are not up to date. Most people who really need drivers and 3D support for their ati graphic adapters do have r300s, and those are not supported, yet. What will happen if r300 is finally supported? Will then most people have r400s which then still are not supported? Who wants to have a card, that finally is supported when it is out of date?

Ati has at least one big advantage: they know the hardware from scratch and can take a look at the source code for the windows drivers. That's why they will probably always be faster in creating a driver for a new card.

Well, that is the dilemma. I support the open source drivers, of course, but it is NOT an easy task to win against the ati-drivers.

I just want to state here: I would be glad to test and bug-report new drivers from http://r300.sourceforge.net and I encourage YOU ALL to do the same.
VanDan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Ati has at least one big advantage: they know the hardware from scratch and can take a look at the source code for the windows drivers. That's why they will probably always be faster in creating a driver for a new card.

You'd think so, right?

Not so. Have a look in the DRI mailing list, and you'll see a thread titles Doom3 works on R200!. In short, the DRI drivers are the only drivers capable of running Doom3 on an R200. From what I gather from posts in the Linux forum on http://www.rage3d.com, ATI are months away from Doom3 support.

Another example? Sure :)

I used to be able to play UT2004 on my Radeon 7200 ( R100 ) with the DRI drivers. Now that I've 'upgraded' to a Radeon 9600 ( R350 ) and I'm forced to use ATI's drivers, not only can I not play it because it's too slow, but if I turn all the graphic details settings waaaaaaaay back and set the resolution to 640x480 so I can get a decent frame-rate, I get horrible graphic corruption after playing for a couple of minutes. If I continue, the whole fucking system locks hard.

More examples?

I can't run Celestia with ATI's drivers.
I can't run Enlightenment's EVAS engine in OpenGL mode with ATI's drivers.
I can't run xscreensaver for fear my computer will lock while I'm resting.
I can't run mplayer, xine or kino with xv support with ATI's drivers.
I can't capture video with ATI's drivers.

All of the above used to work on my R100 with the DRI ( and Gatos ) drivers.

So who is ahead of who?
R!tman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't I say that ati is probably faster in creating drivers for new cards?

Well, R200 is not really a new, is it?

I also support and prefer the open source drivers, but if they simple do not work with the latest cards I use the driver that works best at the moment. And for R300 and later that is the ati binary.

Btw, I haven't tested the others, but I can use xscreensaver and mplayer. mplayer even with the gl2 output plugin.

To get things a litte cleaner. For elder cards, the open source driver is better, no doubt. But not for the latest graphic cards, as those drivers simply do not work at all, when ati's drivers at least function buggy.
VanDan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Didn't I say that ati is probably faster in creating drivers for new cards?

If you can get your R300 working with any drivers, then you are doing better than me. As I noted in my previous post, I can get UT2004 running for about 3 minutes, upon which time the graphics get corrupted, shortly followed by a lockup.

I also listed other apps that simply do not work at all.

It's possible that this is because I have an R350 instead of an R300, or it could be because mine is not a genuine ATI, but a Sapphire, or it could be because ATI's drivers absolutely suck, but either way, I simply refuse to admit that ATI's drivers work AT ALL for anything other than 2D, and for that I use the open-source drivers.

Consider yourself particularly lucky that you are getting better results than me.
stim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, according to this page:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33721373

there are lots of non-ATI components on the video cards and so they would be breaking some laws by releasing the drivers under the GPL, which I know is a slightly different issue, but is related to the amount of help ATI can give the r300 project etc.
VanDan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so.

There would be a legal issue if ATI released detailed information on the components - this would obviously be infringing on the manufacturer's IP rights ( and I don't really want to get into a discussion of IP rights over hardware at this point, except to say that I don't like them ).

However there is no legal issue if ATI merely give programmers enough information to write some damned drivers. This information doesn't infringe on anyone's IP rights, as it tells you nothing of how the hardware is designed - merely how to talk to it.
o0the_llama0o
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about us that have r350's
bennettp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PZoned wrote:
i just got a Geforce 6800GT and its better that i expected :D

I just got a geforce 5200 and its better than I expected. :lol:
God I hate being poor...
Registered Linux User #363420
Admiral LSD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh, until gaming in Linux stops sucking the big one the current ATi Linux drivers are more than adequate.

Registered Linux user #319839
PZoned
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the only way that linux gaming can stop "Sucking The Big One" is if quality drivers come out.... once all video cards perform as well in linux as they do in windows, then we need to work on sound card drivers (ALSA is on the right track) i mean, i want EAX and surround in all of my games (its sort of possible right now to have EAX but it needs some work) once this is compleate, i think linux gaming will be as volitile as windows gaming.
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, it's catch 22 but I'm gonna get into the games industry and do what I can. I graduate in a few months. Watch out. :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: