Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 6:21 am    Post subject: kernels? Reply with quote

1. I went from
2.4.20-pre8-ac3
to
2.4.20-pre10-ac2
is that more recent?

What does ac3 and ac2 mean?

2. I put ntpdate in /etc/conf.d/local.start but rebooting gave an error about the ntp socket in use.
How can I run that comman before ntpd is started?
raluke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, "pre" refers to the "pre-release" or "candidate" versions of the stable kernel, just prior to the release of the newest version, which in this case is 2.4.20.

Also, "ac" refers to a kernel version kept by Alan Cox, one of the Linus Torvalds' lieutenants. He used to be maintainer of the stable kernel (when it was 2.2) but passed it on to Marcelo Tossatti (sp?) for the 2.4 series. He still comes out with kernels, especially when they get close to a release, like the new 2.4.20. However his "ac" versions are versions of Marcelo's pre-release versions. Just to make it even more interesting, there are others who do this, like Dave Jones "dj" and Andrea Archangeli (sp?) with "aa". These people are well-respected in the kernel developer community (whom we mere mortals watch in admiration from afar) and I'm pretty sure that Marcelo notes their changelogs and incorporates most if not all of what they include. Somebody please correct me on this, of course.

So, "pre10" is more recent than "pre8" and "pre-x-ac-3" is more recent than "pre-x-ac-2", for some arbitrary number x.

I hope that is sufficiently confusing! :-)

-Robert
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: kernels? Reply with quote

bjlockie wrote:

2. I put ntpdate in /etc/conf.d/local.start but rebooting gave an error about the ntp socket in use.
How can I run that comman before ntpd is started?

I'll field the second question.

ntpdate is ran with the /etc/init.d/ntpd daemon. do "rc-update add ntpd default" and your set.
Make sure you have your /etc/conf.d/ntpd file filled out properly with the NTPDATESERVER variable. Mine is set to "NTPDATESERVER=clock.via.net", but there is a default in there of ntp.ctr.columbia.edu. (at least for mine)
bjlockie
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raluke wrote:

So, "pre10" is more recent than "pre8" and "pre-x-ac-3" is more recent than "pre-x-ac-2", for some arbitrary number x.

Is pre10-ac2 more recent than pre-8-ac3?
Which takes priority the pre or the ac?

Does anybody release a 2.5 kernel?
I've hear that is faster.
bjlockie
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: kernels? Reply with quote

arkane wrote:

ntpdate is ran with the /etc/init.d/ntpd daemon. do "rc-update add ntpd default" and your set.
Make sure you have your /etc/conf.d/ntpd file filled out properly with the NTPDATESERVER variable. Mine is set to "NTPDATESERVER=clock.via.net", but there is a default in there of ntp.ctr.columbia.edu. (at least for mine)

I have ntpd running fine but I want to run ntpdate each time the system boots Linux rather than install an ntp client for Winblows (I dual boot and Winblows screws up the time so much that the Linux ntpd sometimes exits because the system time is off so much from the ntp time).
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bjlockie wrote:
Is pre10-ac2 more recent than pre-8-ac3?

pre10-ac2
Quote:
Which takes priority the pre or the ac?

The pre, which refers to 1+ the released kernel version that things are based on.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: