Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
World Of Warcraft Support UPDATED DEC31/06!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 28, 29, 30  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luqas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darckness wrote:
Dryre: Try d3d mode.

I did try D3D mode and my FPS is much better, but I have texture display issues. For instance, in Stormwind the bridges / roads are translucent. I can see the textures, but they are see through. I will do some more testing this afternoon. Thanks.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darckness wrote:
After more testing, I've determined that the d3d mode is far superior to the opengl mode with the latest cvs version of wine. I can turn all the settings up to the max and still get full fps, whereas the opengl mode struggles not to stutter even with all extra settings off. The only irritation I've had with it so far is the continual existence of the X cursor hovering over the in game cursor.

Additionally, the mouse issue that l_bratch mentioned appears not to exist in the d3d mode.

Dryre: Try d3d mode.

remove your mods and say that again, I've never seen d3d even comparable with opengl in performance. But some mods screws up performance in opengl mode a lot (especially stuff that graphs in my experience, such as dps graphs/damage meter/healing meter graphs etc, bars work fine though).

If your still finding it faster I'd love to know your display adapter and driver version, personally on nvidia hardware I get huge glitches in d3d mode, opengl mode is 100% perfect on 0.9.28 atleast.

and there was a X fix for the cursor problem a while ago.. little program you could run before running wine/cedega or something like that.

//edit, tested latest cvs in d3d mode, around -10fps compared to opengl in a crowded area (going from 30fps to 20fps).

Last edited by neuron on Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also get a generic performance boost doing this in your wow dir (on eu version):

mkdir -p Cache/WDB/enGB

It does start using the cache directory if it exists.
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neuron wrote:
I have tested my mods, and none of them affect my fps (not by more than 1-2fps, which isn't enough for me to care). I fiddled with some stuff this morning and got ogl up to around the same fps, but I find that d3d is still a bit better for crowded areas.

I'm on a 7800GT using the binary 9742 drivers.
l_bratch
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried D3D mode, and here are my findings:

- The cursor alignment issue seems to be gone - a click never goes wrong
- However the X pointer is always over the game as well, unlike with OpenGL where you only see the in game pointer

- D3D framerate is awful:
-- Standing in a non crouded area of Thousand Needles:
-- D3D - 23 FPS standing still, 2.5 FPS while spinning in circles
-- OGL - 101 FPS standing still, 104 FPS when spinning in circles

This is with:
7900 GTX
x86_64 9746 binary nvidia driver
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darckness wrote:
neuron wrote:
I have tested my mods, and none of them affect my fps (not by more than 1-2fps, which isn't enough for me to care). I fiddled with some stuff this morning and got ogl up to around the same fps, but I find that d3d is still a bit better for crowded areas.

I'm on a 7800GT using the binary 9742 drivers.

same with me, my mods affect my fps very little, some mods affect fps in opengl a lot and d3d not at all though.

And I'm on a 7800GT, binary 9742 drivers, amd64 :p, d3d is constantly -10fps compared to opengl (and this is on cvs).
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm testing out some cursor patches from Henri Verbeet, and they seem to reduce the frequency of "misclicks" in ogl mode considerably. Not sure if there's any downsides yet.

I'm on an amd64, but I run it in 32bit mode. Doubt that would make much difference in the framerates though.
otherside
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darckness wrote:
I'm on an amd64, but I run it in 32bit mode. Doubt that would make much difference in the framerates though.

Considering there's no 64bit version of WoW, you don't have any choice...
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

otherside wrote:
Darckness wrote:

Considering there's no 64bit version of WoW, you don't have any choice...

think he's talking about performance differences in running 32bit wine on 64bit and running 32bit wine on 32bit ;)
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darckness wrote:
I'm testing out some cursor patches from Henri Verbeet, and they seem to reduce the frequency of "misclicks" in ogl mode considerably. Not sure if there's any downsides yet.

Seen any issues yet? Been tweaking my ui a lot lately, and misclicks there are starting to get annoying. Also do you have a link to that patch?
l_bratch
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neuron wrote:
Darckness wrote:

Seen any issues yet? Been tweaking my ui a lot lately, and misclicks there are starting to get annoying. Also do you have a link to that patch?
I was wondering about a link too, and found these:

http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2006-October/031653.html

http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2006-October/031676.html

The former was submitted later the same day - I'm going to try it out tonight, but it was a while ago so there may be issues applying the patch against the latest tree.
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother with those. Overall, the patches didn't solve the problem, so there's no point in posting them considering they're still in progress. I'm pursuing other means of solving the problem, but I think that it may just be something we have to live with for a little while. Sorry guys :-/

EDIT: New patch, no new problems.
the_enigma
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone had any particular issues with the latest 2.0.3 patch, and free disk space? The patches is saying I have 0MB free disk space again. I thought I fixed this by adding TMP=\ and TEMP=\ in HKCU/Environment in regedit. But I eventually tried all of "\" "/" "/tmp" "C:/" "C:/temp", none changed anything.
ancarpan2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After downloading the 200m+ of patch the installer stops with a "Waiting for files to close" flashing window.
Anyone else has seen this? Any ideas?

Update:
I've fired up winecfg and:
1. changed operating system to win2000
2. Enabled arts

That did the trick: the patch installed correctly.
wim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that didn't fix it for me...

update:
after closing the application wow.exe was still active, together with wineserver
killed both processes, started the BNUpdater.exe with wine from command line, and it works...
btw... the exe can be found in a subdir called "patches/<patchversion>"
daktak
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I changed my windows ver to NT to run the patch, and then back to 98 for the game.
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone had any particular issues with the latest 2.0.3 patch, and free disk space? The patches is saying I have 0MB free disk space again. I thought I fixed this by adding TMP=\ and TEMP=\ in HKCU/Environment in regedit. But I eventually tried all of "\" "/" "/tmp" "C:/" "C:/temp", none changed anything.

had the problem with 2.0.0. I solved it by deleting the .wine directory. (and WoW folder. But I think thats unnecessary).

Does anyone have a source for setting WoW configs? My WoW does crash now on exit and on config after setting the ingame config.

Hmm I just got an Idea. maybe need to reinstall those native dlls again.

Does anyone else have Problems with saveing stuff?
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

legine wrote:
Does anyone have a source for setting WoW configs? My WoW does crash now on exit and on config after setting the ingame config.

WTF/Config.wtf
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to change my graphics settings in D3D mode to avoid a crash.
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have to change my graphics settings in D3D mode to avoid a crash.

will try this

Quote:
WTF/Config.wtf

Thx. I knew this already :)
But what Options are aviable to set?
I mean. If I want to change the Terrain Quality, Whether effects (Rages?) etc. what notes do I have to make?

I'll check Darckness option first. Maybe burning Crusade Addon will make some things work again (More Hope then real belief :) )

Thx the answers I apreciate this :D
ruta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just returned from a long trip away from home back to my Linux, and I'm about finished updating things here. But I still can't get WoW to work. It's quite frustrating actually.

Both cedega and wine can't use opengl mode. Cedega just says my card isn't supported (and I do have 3D support enabled) and in wine I get this error:

X Error of failed request: BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length error)
Major opcode of failed request: 143 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 29 ()
Serial number of failed request: 364
Current serial number in output stream: 364

I haven't used wine extensively, but I've read this has to do with standing inside and/or having non-modular X? I thought the indoor thing was fixed a long time ago, though, and this happens and crashes wow before I even get to see the login screen. I am currently updating to module X. It actually just finished, I just need to restart x (but I'm still updating some other packages, so I'll wait).

In d3d, cedega was working flawlessly, however, it would crash after 1-5 minutes for no reason at all, giving the typical windows 132 error. In wine, even though I've followed all the walkthroughs, there are all sorts of graphical corruptions, including not seeing ground (it turns black), and all characters being white blobs. Also, in both cedega and wine under d3d, the mouse click inability has returned with a vengeance. I can only click the interface, not anything in game. I also feel rather dumb because I don't know where the new wine and cedega write their config files now. It has been a long while (maybe I just forgot?)....

I'm using wine 0.9.29, and cedega 5.2.3. Should I roll back? My computer is intel 2.6 gh with hyperthreading, 1gig ram, and a geforc6600gt card. I'm also using e17. I have no mods (yet).

Can anybody help me? I'd take almost anything at this point if it works. It's a lot faster than my laptop!
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruta wrote:
Stuff
Graphics card driver version, X version, wine compiled with opengl support? Your problem is not config related, it's version/driver based.
ruta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darckness wrote:
ruta wrote:
Stuff
Graphics card driver version, X version, wine compiled with opengl support? Your problem is not config related, it's version/driver based.

Sorry I'm slow replying...

x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-1.0.8776

That's the graphics card driver I'm using, it's nvidia in X, and glxgears shows everything to be working as per usual. As for X:

x11-base/xorg-server-1.1.1-r4
x11-base/xorg-x11-7.1

After a reboot, both wine and cedega seem to be working in opengl, so it seems that wine is compiled with opengl support. I actually don't know how to check, but if you tell me how I will. cedega crashes with 132 after an unknown amount of time in both opengl and cedega. But it seems that they crash slower when I don't switch desktops (maybe it's a problem with e). I am just grabbing at straws here...

As for wine in d3d, I'm trying to test it, but I'm now permanently stuck at Authenticating. Burning Crusade must be hard on Blizzard servers or something....

Whether in d3d or opengl mode, in cedega or in wine (so far), the curser problem persists. I'll update this when I can get into WoW with d3d wine.
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After a reboot, both wine and cedega seem to be working in opengl, so it seems that wine is compiled with opengl support.

hmm, odd formulation :)
Quote:
As for wine in d3d, I'm trying to test it, but I'm now permanently stuck at Authenticating. Burning Crusade must be hard on Blizzard servers or something....

I dont think thats wine related. My friends and I got the same Problem when trying to log into wine at certain times. Especially when loginservers crashed.
On my first day haveing WoW I had that problem 4h before makeing a break and go to sleep :P

Your wineversion should be fine. It worked last weekend on european servers (they are a week behind the american wow patchlvl I think)

I remeber to had the same X error problem a while ago.
I think I just resetted the nvidia drivers with eselect opengl set nvidia before everything turned out to be fine. But I am very unsure about this. I will see if I come up later todaywith something, when checking my box.

to check if Wine runs with openGL support try emerge -pv wine that should say if opengl is build in. (Hmm, I am unsure if the flag still exsist, I think it was removed but worth a try :P)

All ofc pretending u use Gentoo as your allout favourite Distro ;)
(Which Kernel are you useing? Dont think it is relevant but lets not miss anything :P)

good luck. I will check my box at home if I have done something else for getting it work.
ruta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

legine wrote:

(shortened for space)

Yes, I know the servers simply happened to go down while I was testing. Anyhow, the login servers are back up. As before, wine in d3d has graphical corruption. Curser trouble persists in any method I run WoW.

As for the wine compiles:

Code:
 # emerge -pv wine

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] app-emulation/wine-0.9.29  USE="X alsa arts cups dbus esd hal jpeg ldap ncurses opengl oss xml -jack -lcms -nas -scanner" 0 kB

opengl is in my USE, of course. Is dbus bad here? I vaguely remember reading that. I have read so many things, that I'm all mixed up now, haha.

I used to use nitro sources, but it seems they died while I was abroad. So, for now, I'm using gentoo-sources-2.6.18-r6.

I also ran the eselect command when I upgraded my drivers, which is normal procedure (I think). It was a shock to see that the nvidia drivers were made into one while I was away though. Lots to learn, little time....

Edit: More testing reveals that WoW will crash when wine in opengl mode inside with minimap open. Can anyone seriously tell me where the config files have been moved to?? I don't know how to use any of these new gui things, and they don't seem to be in ~/.cedega or ~/.wine anymore. Very annoying.

Last edited by ruta on Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 13 of 30

Jump to: