Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
World Of Warcraft Support UPDATED DEC31/06!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 28, 29, 30  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is dbus bad here?

Dono Ill have to check at home :P
Quote:
I vaguely remember reading that. I have read so many things, that I'm all mixed up now, haha.

It is always the same, isnt it? I have messed so much around, I cant remeber...
But I think I never had any quarrels wiith wine and dbus.

Sources related. Okey I think they can be definitly ruled out :)

I have no Idea. Ill check when I am back at home. Will be evening thought,
Cya.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen two things cause X errors when starting wine before.

A : running X in 16bit and wow in 24bit (dont know if reducing wow to 16bit is possible/would work, increasing X does)
B : running wine in a resolution that doesn't exist/can't be used. xrandr should list your resolutions, make sure WTF/Config.wtf is a working one.
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruta wrote:
Edit: More testing reveals that WoW will crash when wine in opengl mode inside with minimap open. Can anyone seriously tell me where the config files have been moved to?? I don't know how to use any of these new gui things, and they don't seem to be in ~/.cedega or ~/.wine anymore. Very annoying.
Try uninstalling wine (emerge -C wine) and reinstalling it (emerge wine). The OGL minimap crash only occurs in old versions. DBus support has no bearing on your problem.
Wine config has been moved to the registry. You can access the settings by executing `wine winecfg`.

PS. Nitro sources died when I realized that running ck out of the box was safer. I recommend the ck patchset for anyone who is into gaming.
ruta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neuron wrote:

A : running X in 16bit and wow in 24bit (dont know if reducing wow to 16bit is possible/would work, increasing X does)
B : running wine in a resolution that doesn't exist/can't be used. xrandr should list your resolutions, make sure WTF/Config.wtf is a working one.

I think the X problem, save running into buildings in wine opengl, was solved by switching to modular X, though I do remember editing the WTF file for this purpose at one point with no real noticeable differences.

Darckness wrote:
ruta wrote:
Edit: More testing reveals that WoW will crash when wine in opengl mode inside with minimap open. Can anyone seriously tell me where the config files have been moved to?? I don't know how to use any of these new gui things, and they don't seem to be in ~/.cedega or ~/.wine anymore. Very annoying.
Try uninstalling wine (emerge -C wine) and reinstalling it (emerge wine). The OGL minimap crash only occurs in old versions. DBus support has no bearing on your problem.
Wine config has been moved to the registry. You can access the settings by executing `wine winecfg`.

PS. Nitro sources died when I realized that running ck out of the box was safer. I recommend the ck patchset for anyone who is into gaming.

I just re-emerged wine with no changes. I'll do a whole re-merge of all the deps and try again (I updated gcc and some other important things, so maybe something went wrong) and report back later. I have to go out for now, thanks for all the replies though!

PS: Now that I think about it, I probably got nitro because of you! Your wow posts were what got me going in December 2004. I'll check out ck when I get things going stably as-is.
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use standard Kernel and I am very happy with them :)
I dont think I have to tweak my system for gaining one or 2 more fps :P

Code:
X alsa arts cups esd jpeg ncurses opengl oss xml

Those are my Flags.

I would try the resolution thing.
neuron wrote:

ruta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My X is not really giving errors anymore. All things considered, if I could just get my mouse to interact with the mobs/npcs/etc, I would be very very happy. Then I'd just use opengl wine and live with the other problems. But it doesn't seem to allow that. I wonder if it's due to this error, which prints when I start WoW:

Code:
fixme:advapi:SetSecurityInfo stub
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 112 (SPI_GETMOUSESPEED)
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x7fb8ede0,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x7fb8f348,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x7fb8f5e8,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x7fb8f5e8,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x7fb8f550,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x7fb8f53c,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 113 (SPI_SETMOUSESPEED)
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x7fb8f058,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 113 (SPI_SETMOUSESPEED)
fixme:sync:CreateIoCompletionPort (0xffffffff, (nil), 00000000, 00000000): stub.

Anyhow, I can't seem to help it by anything in portage. I just did the git of the wine off the wine site, and will try that (even though it says it's just the same). We'll see what happens. I doubt it'll help though.

Edit: The wine I got off wine's site (so far) works flawlessly. Something must be wrong with my portage tree. Thanks for all the help though, and I still dunno what's wrong with cedega.
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

legine wrote:
I use standard Kernel and I am very happy with them :)
I dont think I have to tweak my system for gaining one or 2 more fps :P
This is clearly a misinformed point of view. The reason for using a different patchset, in this case ck, is to increase your overall performance as a desktop machine. This means it should maintain the same framerate while you perform other tasks in the background, ie browsing the web while you play.

ruta: That's not an error. Those are fixme warnings which indicate to the developers things that need to be worked on. If none of the wine ebuilds in portage are working, you might want to try deleting your app-emulation/wine in the portage tree and your wine tarball in distfiles then resyncing. Sometimes rsync gets screwed up and won't fix itself on subsequent runs. If that fails, try a cvs/git ebuild.
nirax
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with modern dual core systems you should run in no latencies even while using generic genkernel and cfq.

to remain on topic:
patching and playing BC went here without any problems. Still neurons tips apply. Using opengl mode with wine kicks d3d aside.

using wine .29 though i encountered some crashes though using neurons append-flag tips, so i run it now with standard emerge settings.
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is clearly a misinformed point of view. The reason for using a different patchset, in this case ck, is to increase your overall performance as a desktop machine. This means it should maintain the same framerate while you perform other tasks in the background, ie browsing the web while you play.

Not really. Okey it is a little cornered by my habbits. For browsing while gameing the standard kernel. I do not utilisize my System to be at 100% CPU Power all the time. And for that the notmal sources are more then sufficent. :) And from my point of view, everything goes into the fps count. (The WoW Client lies about fps somehow. I had "smooth" movement at 10fps which is somewhat not right. I'd expect more of a Diashow at 10fps but I got them at 5 fps...)

Somethign else:

I had yesterday Problems installing TbC. The Problem was that mounting the CDROM offered me 2 time Tome.mpq files. One was only 51K big, which is quite silly concidering that this should be a major change. Kept me busy for ours.
My solution was to copy the Files to my HD on windows partition then run installer from there.

Dono why I had suddenly 2 files with same names on them.
ruta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The git version of wine works, and I don't have the confidence in my portage skills at the moment to figure out what went wrong there.

I think I'll try the new kernel, though. I don't have the spiffy, new computer a lot of you seem to have, so I'll use any help I can get! I spend too much money traveling. In my mind, though, I'd rather spend money on those sorts of things and hope that my efforts in Linux will pay off for my lack of an amazing machine.

Anyhow, back to the level grind. Half my guild is 70, and I think they're disappointed in my 62.
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be happy you have a life :P

My Warrior is still 60. I managed to play her for 4h and that I used for trying to configure my Interface Bars to match my old DAB layout. (trinity to buggy, Bartender and bongos to inflexible :( )
It is pain. I try now Cogbars (which are worse to configure then dabbars were.

Will see. Maybe I have to thing working on an addon. But for that I travel too much, too.
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of kernel, I will bring back an old subject but which was never solved for me... does anyone has a dual-core system and managed to get cedega or wine to use both cores when playing WoW ??

I recently upgraded to a AM2 motherboard and had to up my kernel to gentoo-sources-2.6.19-r4. SMP is enabled. Despite claim by wine and cedega developpers that it should work I cannot get it to use both cores. The game has now full dual-core support (under Windows CPU usage is 70-80% on each core).

legine: Did you tried new TrinityBars (TrinityButtons is obsolete) ? I use the latest and I really like it. No problem so far.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikshaar wrote:
Speaking of kernel, I will bring back an old subject but which was never solved for me... does anyone has a dual-core system and managed to get cedega or wine to use both cores when playing WoW ??

I recently upgraded to a AM2 motherboard and had to up my kernel to gentoo-sources-2.6.19-r4. SMP is enabled. Despite claim by wine and cedega developpers that it should work I cannot get it to use both cores. The game has now full dual-core support (under Windows CPU usage is 70-80% on each core).

legine: Did you tried new TrinityBars (TrinityButtons is obsolete) ? I use the latest and I really like it. No problem so far.

Warcraft isn't multi threaded on windows, only the mac port is smp capable as far as I know.
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the latest Version of Trinity bars.

Sometimes on switching a bar my stancebar (which holds all Buttons of my Warrior) disapears. I do not know why and how to get it back. This is one field thats very annoying. The second Problem is that I have trouble setting up my Pala not speaking of the druid I have. All are going Crazy.

I have some Problems with Titan and Atlas too. And I am not sure if this all things are at all WoW related since my X crashes on irregular bases :(
Well. I am unsure a bit annoyed from setting trinity bars up after a crash (my setup is quit complex).
Maybe I should deal with that random crashes first ;)

Ohh by the way. I tried d3d mode. I get A black backround at login, all the fields and buttons are normal thought, Any Ideas what could be messing this up? Could it help to deactivate shaders?

And Autobar is working great. I got a version based on Ace2 and it has almost no Memory loss. (Just because someone mentioned it)
otherside
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neuron wrote:

Warcraft isn't multi threaded on windows, only the mac port is smp capable as far as I know.

Wine has ~17 threads when executing WoW.exe, some of them belong to wine (eg. dsound thread etc), but I'm sure some of them are created by WoW.exe.
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neuron wrote:

Hmm it is. True there was some problems (FPS limited at 64fps) but even that was fixed in 2.0.3.

Anyway as I mention in my post, I tested it myself and it use both cores under Windows.

otherside: do you have a dual-core system where scheduler can distribute WoW threads correctly ? if yes do you mind sending me a pm with your .config and which kernel you use ?
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

legine wrote:
Sometimes on switching a bar my stancebar (which holds all Buttons of my Warrior) disapears. I do not know why and how to get it back.

If it works as for druid, it is normal, I had same "problem". What happens is that bar can change depending of form/stance. You just need to fill for each stance your bar with action you want for that stance. By default it has no buttons, you need to add 12 buttons then add your actions in it. Due to lack of documentation I admit I had to redo it few times. My advice do all stance bars with only 1 or 2 buttons. If the change of stance calls correct bar, then fill them up. Also use load/save template option to save intermediate state (key bindings not saved - so do it last).
otherside
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikshaar wrote:

otherside: do you have a dual-core system where scheduler can distribute WoW threads correctly ? if yes do you mind sending me a pm with your .config and which kernel you use ?

Linux eiger 2.6.20-rc2 #9 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jan 1 03:06:29 CET 2007 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

http://dbservice.com/ftpdir/tom/kernel-config

But AFAICS WoW uses only one core (CPU usage is ~45% in gnome-system-monitor and ~95% in top (top shows >100% CPU usage if a process uses more then one core)).. so I don't know what I should think..
shtumpa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: CrossOver Linux Professional > you can install WOW Reply with quote

FYI ..

Newest "CrossOver office" has support for WoW
teidon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small problem, I can't type scandinavian marks (ÄÖÅ). I remember being able to do so in the past but I haven't played for few months, started again around TBC. Any way to get them to work? Annoying to chat without them.. In case it matters, I converted my system to use UTF-8 few months ago. Could that be the source of the problem?
Slide
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed WoW under Wine and ran through it's patch routine that works perfectly, and with some tweaking the sound doesn't stutter.

The game works great *until* I log a character into the game, and regardless of whether WoW is fullscreen or not it locks up a couple of seconds in, locking gnome completely up and forcing a hard reset.

ATI drivers and Wine are marked with ~x86, the rest is stable. 2.6 kernel. glxgears etc works fine.

The minimap shows, but the char portrait is still blacked out. Any ideas?
Griswold
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slide, try a non-patched wine yet? 0.9.28-0.9.30ish versions? Try both d3d and opengl modes? Try opengl mode with the reg. key? Good luck.
Slide
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griswold wrote:
Slide, try a non-patched wine yet? 0.9.28-0.9.30ish versions? Try both d3d and opengl modes? Try opengl mode with the reg. key? Good luck.

Am using 0.9.30 - version from portage masked by ~x86, with 8.32.5 ATI drivers. I rebuilt my kernel, reinstalled the drivers and rebuilt the wine drive and xorg conf this morning and Guild Wars + Steam seem to be playing nicer now, will test WoW again when the servers are back up from patching and give D3D a go also. I have the OpenGL reg key in place.
Griswold
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, let me know how it works out, Slide.
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyne the Problem that wineserver crashes after WoW exit?

I hvae sonme issues here, maybe thats only a symptom...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 14 of 30

Jump to: