Portage Enhancement Idea
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fignuts
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Portage Enhancement Idea Reply with quote

I was thinking about how sometimes I don't always want to wait for an app to compile, but I also dislike binary packages and came to an idea about how gentoo could sucessfully integrate optimized binaries without massive hosting costs for thousands of variations on packages. Bittorrent! Does anybody think it would be possible for gentoo users to share packages that they have built with optimizations with other users who want the same optimizations through bittorrent? Just throwing the idea out there because as I see it, the people who say "I dont want to spend forever compiling stuff" could still get some optimized pacakges, but without a major burden on anybody to pay for hosting etc
blue.sca
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*moan* sorry, no offence, but this has been remarked, told, thought and posted several hundret times before, so i'm just tired of this... the most convicing argument against this was security. you can hardly verify the integrity of a package so...
thechris
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is bugzilla for this. there is a portage development -- feature request.

in anycase i had though of this as well, but have a different approach. basically it is an background service that attempts to compile the updates to binary packages that the user can then install. the app can renice itself so that when the user is actively using the computer, the compile takes up less CPU time.

in such a way, your cflags and use flags are maintained, errors on some packages are found first, binaries are made for other gentoo boxes, and ect...

users may not be able to update to the most current stuff easily, but within a week the user should have an update pack to use.

users can just leave the computer on all day. buisnesses might concider using 1 computer to continously compile package updates for computers. this is so servers don't get bogged down with compiles and normal work.
lightvhawk0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Portage Enhancement Idea Reply with quote

fignuts wrote:
I was thinking about how sometimes I don't always want to wait for an app to compile, but I also dislike binary packages and came to an idea about how gentoo could sucessfully integrate optimized binaries without massive hosting costs for thousands of variations on packages. Bittorrent! Does anybody think it would be possible for gentoo users to share packages that they have built with optimizations with other users who want the same optimizations through bittorrent? Just throwing the idea out there because as I see it, the people who say "I dont want to spend forever compiling stuff" could still get some optimized pacakges, but without a major burden on anybody to pay for hosting etc

I've got 3 words for you distcc, ccache and in home sync server. :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: