Netatalk wierdness
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lazloman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Netatalk wierdness Reply with quote

I have netatalk netatalk-1.6.4-r1 installed and I'm running into trouble seting up shares. In AppleVolumes.default, I put this line:
/archive "Archive"

I can mount this volume w/o any problems

If I put this in:
/archive/somefolder
The Finder hangs when trying to connect. I get the auth dialog, but after clicking OK, the Finder hangs with the spinning ball. I have to shell into the server and stop netatallk. After stopping netalk, I get the volumes window, but no share will mount (of course, since netatalk is not running).

The same happens if I list both shares in the AppleVolumes.default. Things only work if I only have the parent directory shared. I know this should work, I've had multiple shares before, so either there's a bug or I've done something wrong.

Any ideas?

"My Break-Dancing days are over, but there's always the Funky Chicken."
--The Full Monty
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here with 1.6.4-r1 and no solution in sigtht ... going back to 1.6.4 for now as that one was working quite ok for the last few months.
Tuna
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you creating the folder on the linux system or via appletalk connection? appleshares are using berdb as a backend with a lot of information about the files beeing on the volume (.AppleDB dir on the share). so if you create a file it might interfere because the db has no entries of the new file. there is a tool called cnid_recover or smth to recover those corrupt db files. alternative you can delete the .AppleDB file but trying this may you LOSE DATA!

at least.. the finder hanging at the auth dialog is almost certanly a sign of a corrupt/not working whaterver cnid_db in the share.

both shares? are you creating a share inside another share? im not not sure if this is 'okay'...
lazloman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm creating the folder on the Linux box via the terminal. And no, I'm not putting a share inside of another share. I was able to do this before with an earlier version of netatalk maybe 1.53-ish. The list of shares I had in the past was like this:

/archive/software
/archive/documentation
/archive/media

I would like to duplicate this, but I get the hangs. I can only share out "archive" like this:

/archive

Like this, I can connect and see the other folders.

--The Full Monty
Tuna
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm ok.. i dont see why it should not work.. the db cant hardly be damaged on that stage. all i can say i had 1.6.4 working on PPC64.. but i switched to 2.0.1 recently to get rid of the occasional cnid db corruptions and it is working quite well.
lazloman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is 2.0 working well for you? How is long filename support? I have been waiting for it to become final before trying it, but if it works well enough, I might just try that.

--The Full Monty
Tuna
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are only mac os 9 clients accessing the server. so i dont know anything about long filenames and stuff (what is long for a mac? well.. at least more than 8.3 :-p). but afaik netatalk2.x should have support for long filenames, full mac os x support and also stores the filenames as utf-8.

btw.. 2.0.1 is the current stable netatalk release. its just that not many seem to have switched yet because of the convertion step between 1.x and 2.x. so with not many test and not many requests no one is adding the netatalk 2.0.1 ebuild to portage etc. my upgrade suggestion would be to copy everything off the share to some client.. upgrade netatalk.. creating a new share and copy everything back from the client. this way you dont have to hassle about the upgrade step really.

for me i had less problems overall with 2.x than anything else.. so i would say i recommend it .. somehow. yet again appletalk is still appletalk..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: