Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m00nxaild
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for your fast answer.

I'm using "ImPS/2" mouse and /dev/input/mice in xorg.conf
for the keyboard I'm using "kbd" and "pc105".
In vmware, the mouse is set do "default", but I also tried PS/2... and /dev/input/mice, with no success.

In win I made a copy of my profile, and I didn't uninstalled the mouse & keyboard drivers, because in the VMWare's site it said that uninstalling drivers is only necessary for NT.
Anyway, I just uninstalled them right now, booted winxp from within vmware, and still no luck :cry:

oh, i haven't said, but I also tried booting in safe mode from within vmware, still no mouse nor keybd.

Any ideas?
Thank you very much

P.S: my mouse is usb (and there is also a touchpad, which also doesn't work)
sdpeterson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: NTLDR is missing Reply with quote

When attempting to boot windows from a physical disk in a virtual machine I get a "NTLDR is missing" error. This error occurs after selecting Windows XP from the GRUB menu. I have searched the VMWare forums and found several people with the same issue. I'm curious how posters to this thread have circumvented this error (or if they've even encountered it). My hard drive is partitioned as follows:

hda1 - FAT32 Windows
hda2 - boot
hda3 - swap
hda4 - Linux

I encountered this error while following the outline presented by 10drill. Any help is appreciated.

-Sean
amiatrome
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loaded vmware with a boot disk image to bypass the NTLDR error.

My disk image is on another box right now and I cant find the original site I downloaded it from. But hey, there's always google. :)
xef
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed this howto and nowi have my vmware working, and it's great! I also managed to get my wireless to get my wireless card to work in linux the last weekend, now i almost never need to reboot on windows! :)

Just had a problem in the guest windows, sometimes the menu characters disappeared, but disabling the graphic card aceleration solved the problem.
MaxDamage
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This page could be of interest when playing with vmware and window$:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082/
lucidthoughts
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,
upon trying this method which is very appealing to me,
once i try booting, i get a grub error 18 and it halts at that.

i am using a sata drive.

my grub.conf is:

Code:
default 0
timeout 30

title=gentoo-2.6.11
root (hd0,5)
kernel /kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/sda8

title=gentoo-2.6.10
root (hd0,5)
kernel /kernel-2.6.10-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/sda8

title=windowsXp
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

and fdisk yields the following:

Code:

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160000000000 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19452 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1        7649    61440561    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2            7650       19451    94799565    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5            7650       15298    61440561    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda6           15299       15303       40131   83  Linux
/dev/sda7           15304       15553     2008093+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda8           15554       19451    31310653+  83  Linux

any help is greatly appreciated!
onlymrme
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've managed to get Native XP booting inside my Gentoo box as well, mostly using advice from this thread.

I have copied (renamed) ntosknl.exe and hal.dll files from a true Vmware install of XP into the system32 directory of my native install, and use the /KERNEL and /HAL flags in the boot.ini in order to specify which files to use. It seems to work though.

One major gotcha for me:

Ran into an activation problem. When I booted into Vmware, I got a "Do you want to activate XP" dialog. When I clicked "yes", I was told that XP was already activated and was thrown back to the login screen. There is no way to change your key under SP1. Really. There isn't. I re-installed XP with our corporate key, instead of the one with the laptop, and it works now.

So in order to boot Windows now, I have 3 menus:

1. Grub asking XP or Linux
2. Windows boot.ini asking VMware or native kernel/hal
3. Windows asking VMware or native hardware profile

Still it works now, so I'm happy!

:D

Cheers
MaxDamage
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onlymrme wrote:
So in order to boot Windows now, I have 3 menus:

1. Grub asking XP or Linux
2. Windows boot.ini asking VMware or native kernel/hal
3. Windows asking VMware or native hardware profile

That's the way I have it configured, too ;) So don't worry about it, it's normal. Cheers.
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone managed to run vmware as a normal user and access raw disks? It seems adding yourself to the disk group is insuficient :(
dwardo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

If you've followed this topic from the start you will remember that I had Vmware up and running from my raw disks on a multiboot install...

Since then my hard Drive decided to die on me.

So I bought a new Hard Drive (160Go vs 80Go for the dead one) reinstalled Windows and Gentoo and Thought I would have Vmware running quickly since with this threads help the previous instalation had been a breeze...

Well when I start Vmware, I get the grub menu, I select my Windows XP entry and then Vmware just hangs leaving this message on the screen:

title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

This is, as you've obviously recognized it, the Windows part of my grub.conf file... The Windows partition is hda1 of course...
I get no error messages or blue screens...

Windows does boot without problem on the hardware (i.e. physicaly)

My Gentoo is the exact same as before (Yeah I had backups....) so I doubt its disk acces or whatever else gentoo configuration problems...

I have the same problem i f Igive the entire disk to vmware or just the boot and windows partiitions.

So If anyone has had this problem or has a remark or possible solution thanks for your :idea:
lostboy1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwardo wrote:
So If anyone has had this problem or has a remark or possible solution thanks for your :idea:

I have been running a dual boot system on my laptop for over a year now, and just decided to see if I can get my WinXP native partition to boot in Gentoo with VMWare. I am having the same problem where grub tries to boot and just hangs. The processor goes to 100% utilization and there is a fair amount of disk access, but nothing seems to happen.

I can reboot into native windows, and that works fine, I also have a vm image of windows XP using a virtual disk which works fine as well. I am wondering if there is something with the newer version of kernel or vmware.
2aet21sc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

I have set up a second hardware profile, copied the drivers from vmware to /system32/drivers, applied the microsoft reg-patch and the one that ichief offered, but still the same error... (STOP 0x0000007B)

What did i miss???

greets
2aet21sc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, forgot to say that i have a S-ATA disk...

Pleeeaaase Help!
dwardo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've solved my problem so I hope this will help others...

I was looking for CHS disk geometry problems as this comes up often...

My disk was a Maxtor 160 Gig with LBA=320173056 on /dev/hda
so translated in CHS:

On booting the disk was recognized as: 19929/255/63 but that failed and sfdisk said that my partition did not end on cylinder boundaries
by the way 19929*255*63=320159385 which is not right given my lba...

317632/16/63 is a perfect fit for 320173056
i added hda=317632,16,63 to grub boot command
still a no go... This time I gt a "Corrupt processor error..." something like that

Finaly since sfdisk was still complaining about my partitions not ending on cylinder boundaries I tested my partitions with testdisk...

>> testdisk /list
TestDisk 5.9-WIP, Data Recovery Utility, August 2005
Christophe GRENIER <grenier@cgsecurity.org>
http://www.cgsecurity.org
Please wait...
Disk /dev/hda - CHS 317632 16 63 - 156334 MB, sector size=512
Disk /dev/hdc - CHS 22 255 63 - 688 MB, sector size=2048
Disk /dev/hdd - CHS 20 255 63 - 624 MB, sector size=2048

Disk /dev/hda - CHS 317632 16 63 - 156334 MB
Partition Start End Size in sectors
check_NTFS: Incorrect number of heads/cylinder 240 (NTFS) != 16 (HD) <---- This line was of interest
1 * HPFS - NTFS 0 1 1 19395 14 63 19551042 [XP Pro]
check_NTFS: Incorrect number of heads/cylinder 240 (NTFS) != 16 (HD)
2 P HPFS - NTFS 19395 15 1 38791 13 63 19551105 [DATA]
[SNIP...]

So next i tried : hda=21175,240,63
And there was light... vmware booted windows and sfdisk quit complaining abou my partitions...
21175*240*63=320166000 < 320173056 so I'm loosing some disk space

So now it works but I think I also know why my CHS was F*** Up from the start...

The disk was /dev/hdb when I partitioned it and did the install on it...
I've found on the web that some people with 2 exact same disks on /dev/hda and /dev/hdb do not have the same geometry detected by linux on boot...
hda had H=255 and hdb had H=240... This sems to be exactly what happened to me...

as hdb 240 and once all was installed on the disk i moved it to hda where upon boot it was detected as 255 --> hence my problems...

So next time I buy a disk and partition it I will look at lba value on it then add the appropriate grub command so as to pass the correct geometry on boot...
Wrong geometr detection seems to be a known yet uncorrected bug in the 2.6 kernels...

Hope this helps others...
2aet21sc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got over my problem (bluescreen STOP) too :)

The problem was, that linux said that my sata disks are scsi interface disks while windows took them as ide... So changing "lsilogic" or "buslogic" in the .vmdk file to "ide" solved the problem.

So now i can boot windows without bluescreen, but when the windows loginscreen finally loads up, i have no keyboard or mouse.

I have made a second hardware profile, but even if i delete the original drivers in the vmware-hardware profile in native windows i can't do anything... :(

How can this be?
fuge
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done step nr.2 but I've still got error 17 :(
infiniteedge
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to follow everything that's going on in this thread and I'm not doing a good job. I have a pre-existing Windows installation on a separate hard drive that I would like to boot into using Gentoo. Gentoo is installed on /dev/sda 1 2 and 3 and Windows is installed on /dev/sdb1. I configured VMware in Gentoo to have a virtual machine with /dev/sdb as SCSI 0:1 and no other hard drives. I booted natively into the Windows install, copied my current hardware profile, booted into the copy, and added the drivers and registry info in the microsoft support article linked to in this thread. I then also added the registry entry and driver for the vmware scsi driver. I then returned to Gentoo to boot a virtual machine of the physical windows install. Windows began booting normally, prompted me to select a hardware profile (of which I chose the one I modified), and then promptly gave a blue screen and STOP message.

I'm guessing I need further modifications to my vmware hardware profile in Windows, but I don't know what they are. Also, people are talking about the windows kernel and HAL... is all that going to be neccessary for me?

One last note, both the Gentoo hard drive and the Windows hard drive are actually SATA drives installed on a VIA SATA RAID controller (in a non-raid configuration).

Thanks!
korban
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this worked for me:
http://www.vmware.com/community/message.jspa?messageID=292002
kilianh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: XP Home SP1 Activation Reply with quote

onlymrme wrote:
I've managed to get Native XP booting inside my Gentoo box as well, mostly using advice from this thread.

(...snip...)

Ran into an activation problem. When I booted into Vmware, I got a "Do you want to activate XP" dialog. When I clicked "yes", I was told that XP was already activated and was thrown back to the login screen. There is no way to change your key under SP1. Really. There isn't. I re-installed XP with our corporate key, instead of the one with the laptop, and it works now.

Well, I ran into the same problem after I figured out how to get through the many BSOD's I encountered along the way. But I solved it differently (don't have corporate license either):

1) Get to Activate (yes/no) -> yes -> already activated -> thrown back to login screen cycle as above (virtual hw profile)

2) Somehow the second time I booted my vm into XP with the virtual hw profile (had to use "last know good configuration" because of an IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL BSOD) it attempted the activation for real (I think I also had networking working properly then using bridge and NAT for my guest)

3) Get to the step where it fails to register with the original XP product key because the hardware has "changed" significantly (including new BIOS) but you've already activated the product before

4) Reboot natively into XP, realising that with even with the physical hw profile it now wants to reactivate, failing in the same way as above

5) Very frustrated I then called M$ on my local toll-free number (the one that the dialog throws up), spoke to a consultant and told her that my XP wasn't working anymore cause I fiddled with VM's. So, I gave her the hardware key it spits out, she gave me a verification code and bingo, it was activated and working again as it did before

6) When I rebooted into Gentoo and started XP in vmware I noticed - to my surprise - that it no longer complains about activation

I now have a working installation in which both cases (physical boot with physical hw profile and vmware boot in Gentoo with virtual hw profile on raw disk) work perfectly without any hassles.

I know it sounds like a I-have-no-clue-what-I'm-doing-so-let's-fiddle-until-it-works approach, but it worked for me. Wondering if anyone can reproduce this...

Oh, and like the subject says, I'm on XP Home SP1 which came preinstalled on this laptop :evil: Don't know what SP2's like. Using vmware-workstation-5.0, but vmplayer works just as well, and is free once you've used your 30 day trial to create the VM with workstation :wink:
golgo13
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I missing something? For a Windows XP guest you just make a second hardware profile and that's it right? Did I miss something.
As root if I try booting the Raw disk image with Grub I'm not able to use my keyboard so I made Windows XP the default. Before anything happens I get the message
Quote:
Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

I've read through all the posts and did read the documentation posted at the beginning of this thread but it's obvious I missed something. Any help would be appreciated.
kilianh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

golgo13,

Sounds like an XP IDE driver problem. The IDE controller that XP sees in the VM is different from the real one when you boot it up natively, and it bombs out. XP is incredibly dumb in that regard (we knew that :wink:), all other changed devices it reconfigures automatically.

You gotta boot natively into that new "VM" hw profile, go to the hardware manager, select the IDE controller and "update" the driver to use a standard ide dual channel one instead (select it manually if you need to). Save your settings and then boot into the vm profile in vmware, the problem should go away. Let me know if this works for you.

I'd also recommend reading everything in http://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/doc/ws_disk_dualboot.html if you get stuck.
golgo13
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I got past my original problem. Then I ran into the blue screen of death posted here earlier. It seems that with the patch and the change in IDE drivers I've managed to get past the BSOD, but now I'm stuck at the Windows XP startup screen. It's been about an hour now. The mouse is responsive and once in a while I see either CD-ROM or hard disk activity. I'm thinking it's frozen there but it's hard to tell. Anyone else run into this?
Waninkoko
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited: Well, now I get 0x0000007B error. I think I can resolve it :)
Edited 2: I can't resolve 0x0000007B error. I have changed IDE driver and installed registry patch but nothing :(

I have a problem :(

When I installed Windows XP in my SATA drive I had to use the SATA driver that comes in a floppy. Well, the problem is when I'm going to boot Windows under VMware. Appears the BSOD and the error that shows is relationed with file "SiWinAcc.sys", the SATA driver.

I have created a new hardware profile but I don't know how to say to Windows that it doesn't have to load the driver.

The SATA device is configured to appear as an IDE device in VMware.

Silicon Image SiI3112

Any ideas?
urcindalo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shemite_Dog wrote:
I had to apply the registry patch provided here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082, then everything worked just fine.

Thanks. That solved my problem, too.
However, at first I wasn't able to modify the Windows registry. It was moaning about the Mergeide.reg file not being in a suitable format to be combined (the message was in Spanish, so I'm translating my memories :) ). What I did was to change the order of the "Service" and "ClassGUID" entries. They all were like this in M$ support page:
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\primary_ide_channel]
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"
"Service"="atapi"
and I had to change them all to
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\primary_ide_channel]
"Service"="atapi"
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

After that, I could continue with the instructions to modify the registry.

Isn't that ironic that even M$ howtos are shit :roll: ?
golgo13
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdpeterson, I'm betting all four of your partitions are primary partitions. I think Windows XP hates anything more than 3. Try making an extended partition with logical partitions beneath it if you need more than 3
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: