View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
energymedia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Xorg -configure issues - total Gentoo newbie Reply with quote

Hey all,

I am completely new to Gentoo and am trying to get a workstation configured (Dell Optiplex GX110). I have had everything go successful up until trying to get xorg-x11 configured. Emerged it OK and reinitialized the environment variables (# env-update, # sourece /etc/profile). Tried to use the 'Xorg -configure' and get the following error:

Quote:
(EE) Failed to load module "i810" (once-only module, -1073747340) (++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"

I am using the onboard video card (Intel i810 chipset) and a ViewSonic A70 monitor.

When I run 'X -config /root/xorg.conf.new' I get the message stating:
Quote:
Fatal server error: no screens found

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated in rectifying this problem.
asgardwarrior
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you compile the video driver when you made your kernel?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
benj_a
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same problem, (and am also a completely new to gentoo).

I installed a stage 3 distribution, kernel-2.6, from the 2004.2 cd, and used genkernel to build the kernel. I don't remember seeing anything about the video driver (but please correct me if I need to go back to that and do it over again).

I am loading the i810 driver at boot time, but my Xorg -configure still says it can't find it.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Ben
energymedia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Not sure Reply with quote

Like Benj_a, my install was exacty like he stated. I used the genkernel option (as I am not sure I am ready to configure it on my own yet), and did not notice anything regarding the video driver being compiled.
synapscape
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the kernels video driver is called the DRM (Direct Rendering Manager) which does some hardware-level stuff and thus resides in the kernel. The DRI, the companion module, runs within X. Both deliver fast hw-accel. graphics. Just for both of you to settle some terms... :)

So, to tell if you got the kernel module running, type "lsmod" (as root) to see a list of all loaded kernel modules. the i810 module should be among them. if not, try "modprobe i810" (i don't know the exact name, check /lib/modules/**your-kernel-name-here**/video/ for the module... ) .

This module must be loaded.

Without your xorg.conf further help is difficult. Try searching for the terms i810 AND "no screens found" on these forums. "no screens found" is a common error, it could say several things. You could check you xorg.conf for the sections monitor, device and screen. They should look like this (for a voodoo3):

Code:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Sony200ES"
    VendorName  "Sony"
    ModelName    "CPD-200ES"
    Option          "DPMS"
    HorizSync   30-70
    VertRefresh 50-120
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Voodoo3500TV"
    VendorName  "3DFX"
    BoardName     "Voodoo3500"
    Driver     "tdfx"
    BusID      "PCI:1:0:0"
    VideoRam    16384
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Standard"
    Device      "Voodoo3500TV"
    Monitor     "Sony200ES"
    DefaultDepth 16

Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "320x200"
        ViewPort    0 0
                Virtual 0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        ViewPort    0 0
                Virtual 0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        ViewPort    0 0
                Virtual 0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

As you can see, one device and one monitor form one screen. If the screen-section is missing/incorrect, "no screens found" might occur.

Please post your xorg.conf for further troubleshooting, after you have checked and searched yourself! :)

good luck!
benj_a
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hints - I spent some time searching through the forums, and I think the problem I am having is using genkernel. It seems that for me to get i810 support, I need to do the manual build.

Does this sound right?

I will let you know if this works (but now I need to figure out why my first attempt at the manual kernel build failed....)

Thanks for the help.

Btw, my xorg.conf file just seems to be screwed up - all the resolution and color depth parameters are zeros - so I think the first step is to get the manual kernel going and then go back to xorg and see what happens.

-Ben
energymedia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a lot of information regarding this problem and have made some headway. I had two lines both stating HorizSync, one with valid numbers, one with a zero. Tried again and it stated that no screens were found. I am going to modify this tonight and will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for all of the assistance so far.
emorphix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a great tool in portage that allows you to check what your monitor uses for a Horiz and Vert rate 8O

Code:

emerge ddcxinfo-knoppix -pv

once emerged you can run
Code:

ddcxinfo-knoppix -hsync -vsync

even allows you to see what modes your monitor can run using the -modes argument.

ddcxinfo-knoppix ran alone will show you all the arguments it allows, as well as man ddcxinfo-knoppix.

Hope that helps. :P
Created By Gentoo Users
synapscape
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@benj_a:
It may not be necessary to build a new kernel by hand. As you've stated before, you are loading the i810 module at boot time if my eyes don't betray me :wink: This tells me that everything seems to be right with your kernel...

Nevertheless, a quick checklist for i810 support in your kernel (for 2.6):

1) Enable MTRR -> "Processor type and features"
2) Choose a suitable AGP-GART for your system (well.. um... which one might it be... ummm... maybe... ummm... intel_agp?! :wink: ) -> "Device drivers" -> "Character devices" -> "dev/agpgart" + "Intel 440LX/BX/GX, I8xx and E7x05 chipset support"
3) Choose a suitable drm -> "Device drivers" -> "Character devices" -> "Direct Rendering Manager" + "Intel I810"

This should be all for the kernel part... But you can save yourself some work if you check your boot-messages with dmesg and look for parts about agp-gart and i810. If they are there without any complains, then everything is fine with your kernel. At least i think so... :wink:

Ah, one more thing: In your BIOS, you may be able to set "agp aperture size" or something like that. This sets the max. amount of RAM available to the gfx-core. Set it to something useful like 64MB...

Now, back to xorg.conf:
Doing some quick research on these forums it appears to me that auto-config for x.org doesn't always work. So, here's a little gift for you people, a xorg.conf - hopefully working and edited down to the relevant parts (leaving out mouse, keyboard... ) :wink:

Please remind that i don't have any i810 myself...

Code:

Section "Module"

SubSection "extmod"
   Option       "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
EndSubSection

Load  "dbe"
   Load  "type1"
   Load  "freetype"
   Load  "glx"
   Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier   "Some Monitor"
   VendorName  "ACME"
   ModelName    "1234Super"
   HorizSync    30 - 70
   VertRefresh  50 - 120
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "i810"
   Driver      "i810"
   ChipSet     "i815"
   BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
   VideoRam    65536
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen 0"
   Device     "i810"
   Monitor    "Some Monitor"
   DefaultDepth     16
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth     8
      Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
      Viewport   0 0
      Virtual      0 0
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth     16
      Viewport   0 0
      Virtual      0 0
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth     24
      Viewport   0 0
      Virtual      0 0
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Some notes:
section monitor: You have to enter your own values here, of course. Try the aforementioned tool to get the values your monitor can handle if you don't have a manual

section device: To tell the BusID use "lspci" from the pciutils package to receive a list of all pci/agp devices. But beware! The busID is printed in HEX so you have to convert it to DEC, which shouldn't be too hard.
It seems to help if you state the exact amount of videoram. It should match the settings of your BIOS.
As the i810-driver is a generic driver for Intels i8x0 chipsets, it may help to state the proper chipset. You may also comment out this line.

section screen
This gives a default depth of 16 bit, which seems to be a safe setting. If you get X working, you could try and change it to 24...

Well, i hope this helps! :wink:

good luck!
energymedia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emorphix, great tool. Thanks for the tip.

I have done a lot more searching regarding my original problem and now have what I think is the correct settings as I can run startx and get the screen and mouse. The problem now is that it locks up approx 5 seconds after I run startx.

I will post the config file once I get home, but does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be happening?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: