View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bytal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 4:22 am    Post subject: kde 3.1 will be out next week Reply with quote

Since I'm sure there's lots of people that are as impatient as I am... :)

Theres has been some discussion on dot.kde.org about the aparent lateness of the 3.1 final release. It seems there were some major bugs (konqueror not printing through cups) that had to be fixed in RC4. RC5 has been sent out to packagers per this email http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=103824444618699&w=2. It should be packaged as 3.1 final and released sometime early next week barring some new major bugs.

:lol:
vod
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it out yet? is it out yet? is it out yet? is it out yet?

Oh, by your avatar I see that you should check out www.cityofheroes.com
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooh yes, can't wait...

*dry-washes hands*
Skowen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update on this? I have been scouring the KDE lists for more updates-- but nothing. I'm getting antsy here, I need some KDE lovin.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and Dan Armak suspended KDE CVS ebuilding for a while to work on KDE3.1, and as you can see in the changelog he has been a busy little bee. Lots of patches and goodies for the yet unreleased KDE3.1.. It's now seems we will have working ebuilds on the day of the release.

GO GO DAN.... Thx for the hard work.
Herodot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it out yet?

How are things going with prelinking? Lovechild, you were working on this, right?

I wouldn't want to compile 3.1, and then having to do it all over the next day because of this nice +1% speed possibility.
cthulu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:15 pm    Post subject: i really hate to break hearts but . . . Reply with quote

I saw this on www.pclinuxonline.com

There is some talk of POSSABLY a delay in the release of kde 3.1. Apprently there is some security issues they are worried about. If there is a delay .. looks like it wont be out before x-mas.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herodot wrote:

How are things going with prelinking? Lovechild, you were working on this, right?

I wouldn't want to compile 3.1, and then having to do it all over the next day because of this nice +1% speed possibility.

I was a tester for this but I kept killing my machine pushing it to it's limits - I did at one time (brief moment of madness) offer my help in implementing prelinking, but turns out... d00d I don't know python :) and before I could learn it and read portage code, cretin implemented a working version, so cretin is the official prelinking d00d, I'm just the guy who breaks it and complains loudly.

But there's the low down:

You do NOT need to recompile KDE to get prelinking, you prelink your binaries after compilation. There's an entire thread on this in the desktop forum and how it works, there's even a guide on cretins website that explains how to do it.

And it's not a 1% speed increase it's a 1000% decrease in loadtime.. which is SO much more impressive.

But really I have nothing to do with development of Gentoo, I just use it for now.

WARNING: prelinking requires you to run glibc 2.3.1 (thus Gentoo unstable)

Buttomline, download, compile and enjoy, prelinking will follow when it's matured a bit (still some breakage). But please cheer on cretin and all the testers for this monster effort.
yokem55
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Files modified by danarmak at 14:06

Note: Mark qt 3.1 as stable on x86. Other archs to follow shortly. KDE 3.1 tomorrow if all goes well.

* x11-libs/qt/qt-3.1.0-r1.ebuild, 1.5

:D :D :D :D :D
DarkAurora
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to ruin everyone's day, but It' looks like KDE 3.1 is going to be delayed until after the new year due to security concerns.

here is the relevant URL. It seems that the actual conversation has dissapeared misteriously, though. These security problems must be widespread from what the conversation said. The developers have also instituted a automatic security review system for CVS commits as seen in recent logs of CVS activity lists.kde.org. The original email was from the 3.1 release coordinator (Can't remember his name, sorry) so it's not just random FUD.

I guess we'll all have to wait and see how this turns out.
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was some talk about relabeling and releasing the packages which was marked KDE 3.1 final as KDE 3.1 RC5 instead, and publish a security warning along side the RC5 release. Hope they do this, because I'll probably end up using it none the less.

The reason they have to delay the final release until after xmas, is NOT the difficulties they'll encounter when fixing bugs - like most people seem to think. Bugfixing is the trivial part. Apparantly, many of the different distribution packagers have already left for xmas holidays, and thus cannot build binary packages of KDE 3.1 for their distribution. And because the KDE group have run into trouble before when releasing the sourcecode before the binary distributions have packed it, they wont do it again. Sad, especially when using Gentoo :-) And yes, im not trolling - I did indeed read the thread on the kde-packager list, which now "mysteriously" have disappeared.
Herodot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(Can't remember his name, sorry)
Dirk, I think.

Anyway, why should it be a problem to release the souce first?

These it atm no mention of this on the kde developer mailing list.
thumper
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herodot wrote:
Quote:
(Can't remember his name, sorry)
Dirk, I think.

Anyway, why should it be a problem to release the souce first?

These it atm no mention of this on the kde developer mailing list.

This is interesting reading on kde-core-devel
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=103913206200005&r=1&w=2
I think it is what you are looking for.

George
Bytal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really funny I was just about to post to the thread about the expected delay and I see everyone knows already :(. Myself, I was very much hoping to be able to run 3.1 already but I guess not for a while :(. I'd be happy if anyone else who has better information would keep posting to this thread just to keep everyone updated.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... that's not good, I hope they fix the problems ASAP and go for the 12th of Dec. tag date.
synonymousca
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any particular reason that Gentoo didn't bump its KDE3 version to 3.0.5, which came out around three weeks ago?
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synonymousca wrote:
Any particular reason that Gentoo didn't bump its KDE3 version to 3.0.5, which came out around three weeks ago?

kde 3.0.5 is just kdelibs and kdebase with some security updates, I bet we already have those as patches for our kde3.0.4
mlybarger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: prelink Reply with quote

i've done a little quick reading that prelinking improves preformance a LOT. i can't seem to find the much needed docs describing how to implement prelinking, and how to be sure the binaries are prelinked.. can anyone help a guy out?
psharp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pointed this out at the time...

The thing to note if that the security updates in the KDE Changelog had already been fixed in the 3.0.4 ebuild according to the GLSAs so I guess there wasn't any point.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: prelink Reply with quote

mark_lybarger wrote:
i've done a little quick reading that prelinking improves preformance a LOT. i can't seem to find the much needed docs describing how to implement prelinking, and how to be sure the binaries are prelinked.. can anyone help a guy out?

Sure

http://cvs.gentoo.org/~cretin/prelink.notes
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully they go with Dec. 12th. Even if the want to release it in January if the have it done maybe they can mark the cvs final so we can get it early. Looks like it is time to move up to the RC if the final won't be out for awhile. I would voice my opinion on the KDE lists, but it is generally a bad idea if you aren't really familiar with a list to jump in. Maybe someone else wih better KDE ties could let them know Gentoo wants it early.
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
Bytal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's the http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=103922988724102&w=2 link for the email that shows that Dirk Mueller, the release manager for 3.1 decided to wait till January to release the final 3.1 packages. He was saying something about January 8th it goes out to packagers and a week later it's announced. In the meantime they'll release 3.0.5 update and tag the current source as RC5. The problem was some code found throughout the entire tree that would allow a malicious user to execute commands using someone elses account..or so I understood :)

My question is about the Gentoo packages, since most of the talk on the KDE mailing list is about binary packages, when can Gentoo ebuilds be made? Do they have to coincide with the actual release or can we grab the source as soon as its on the kde ftp site? Also will there be builds for RC5 since that is basically 3.1 final minus some security fixes?
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait that long I'm just going to install the RC3.
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
maor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'ts look like it's going take awhile till the final release kde team released kde3.1 rc5
DarkAurora
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, us KDE addicts can get a quick fix before 3.1 is actually released.

3.1 RC5 was released. How hard would it to be to modify the current emerges to accomidate RC5?

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4006
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: